1911 Single Stack Elitist Club

zhunter

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got an STI .22 upper for Steel Challenge this afternoon. It's an updated version of Bob Marvel's Unit 1 design and carries the "Robert Marvel Custom Pistols" emblem along with the STI markings. The magazines (same as Advantage Arms) are extended with wide bases very similar to Tripp Cobra Mag and Wilson ETM base pads. They work great with S&A mag wells.

I have a set of twin Les Baers that have been set up identically. The sight picture on the .22 upper is identical to the Baer Bomar-style adjustable sights on the twins. Fully loaded the balance of the .45 and the .22 is almost the same. I surprised and pleased. I thought the balance points would be completely different, but they're not. Also fully loaded the .22 is only 7 ounces lighter than the .45.

This is going to be great. Two guns for Steel Challenge, center fire and rim fire with identical triggers and identical sight pictures.

I'm off to the range tomorrow to put it through the paces. Perfect timing. The morning low will be in the 50's with the afternoon high approaching 70. :D

I just got an STI .22 upper for Steel Challenge this afternoon. It's an updated version of Bob Marvel's Unit 1 design and carries the "Robert Marvel Custom Pistols" emblem along with the STI markings. The magazines (same as Advantage Arms) are extended with wide bases very similar to Tripp Cobra Mag and Wilson ETM base pads. They work great with S&A mag wells.

I have a set of twin Les Baers that have been set up identically. The sight picture on the .22 upper is identical to the Baer Bomar-style adjustable sights on the twins. Fully loaded the balance of the .45 and the .22 is almost the same. I surprised and pleased. I thought the balance points would be completely different, but they're not. Also fully loaded the .22 is only 7 ounces lighter than the .45.

This is going to be great. Two guns for Steel Challenge, center fire and rim fire with identical triggers and identical sight pictures.

I'm off to the range tomorrow to put it through the paces. Perfect timing. The morning low will be in the 50's with the afternoon high approaching 70. :D

Very nice! :cheers:

Be sure and give us a range report, Steve.

First 150 rounds were CCI Standard Velocity. Those were listed on Bob Marvel's site as being consistantly reliable and accurate. Only a couple got that top grade. I ran 30 rounds through each of the 5 magazines. Each one consistantly locked the slide open after the last round. Not that that's at all important for Steel Challenge, but it is a feature. One round didn't go bang until I dropped the hammer a second time. Rimfire :wacko: what are you going to do? By the way, I'm running an 18# mainspring. There were only two FTFs, rounds number 92 and 132. Both were the top round in the magazine behind the initial chambered round. The FTFs were in two different mags and the nature was different. The first was a nose up where the round missed the chamber, and on the other the slide stopped stort and didn't strip the round. It's very likely that both, especially the second were thumb induced. Gotta keep the thumb away from the slide. There's not much mass there.

All in all I'm pleased. It was very fun to shoot. My initial impression was that the forward momentum of the slide pushed the barrel down more than the exiting round flipped the barrel up. Flat, man, flat. After 150 rounds of .22, I broke out the twin and shot some .45. Whoa, Nelly. Culture shock! Like I was just a big ol' girl. :roflol:

I finally need to submit my application.

I have proof of competing in a 3 gun match in April 2006. I used my Kimber 1911 and competed in single stack. I do not have match scores but I do have video that can verify the date. If this is deemed unacceptable I will email the club and see if I can get scores. Notice that my rifle uses IRONS!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...;videoid=761835

Have not ever used a polymer in anything but production, but have competed in production, single stack, and limited divisions, and IDPA SSP and CDP. I did not join USPSA until 2008, but I am a member in good standing for my 2nd year. I have never been an IDPA member.

Pics in proper, C&L status.

Kimber003.jpg

Kimber002.jpg

Added a 2nd 1911 to the collection this past year. Both 1911s now wear a proper, grip width Ed Brown magwell.

pistols018.jpg

pistols019.jpg

Still fighting my way out of D in single stack!

Resume: ready for ridicule . . .

2 Single Stacks:

Custom Kimber .45

STI Trojan .40 under construction

Close ups to follow

Video of bad shooting showing Kimber .45 in action and both sides of same. (Hope link copies ok)

http://www.shooterreadync.com/matches/inde...008-01-2009.wmv

NRA lifemember

USPSA TY52476

Regular competitor USPSA at Sir Walter Gun Club (Raleigh, NC) SS Div. and at Pitt County Wildlife Club, Greenville, NC

Winner C Class Single Stack 2009 SC Sectional-

3rd overall 2009 SC Sectional SS Div.

Held #1 position in USPSA "Top 20" for several months in 2009 for C class SS Div.

Skinny guy with a skinny gun . . .

I have proof of competing in a 3 gun match in April 2006. I used my Kimber 1911 and competed in single stack. I do not have match scores but I do have video that can verify the date. If this is deemed unacceptable I will email the club and see if I can get scores. Notice that my rifle uses IRONS!

Have not ever used a polymer in anything but production, but have competed in production, single stack, and limited divisions, and IDPA SSP and CDP. I did not join USPSA until 2008, but I am a member in good standing for my 2nd year. I have never been an IDPA member.

Added a 2nd 1911 to the collection this past year. Both 1911s now wear a proper, grip width Ed Brown magwell.

twodownzero and not an IDPA shooter??? What's up with the name then??

Nice pics of nice guns. You will be presented to the membership committee for review... and, IMHO, approval. If you have shot a USPSA match in SS you can post your USPSA number and it can be viewed by anyone....

Edited by Merlin Orr

2 Single Stacks:

Custom Kimber .45

Close ups to follow

Video of bad shooting showing Kimber .45 in action and both sides of same. (Hope link copies ok)

NRA lifemember

USPSA TY52476

Regular competitor USPSA at Sir Walter Gun Club (Raleigh, NC) SS Div. and at Pitt County Wildlife Club, Greenville, NC

Held #1 position in USPSA "Top 20" for several months in 2009 for C class SS Div.

Ridicule.... Oh NO! :cheers: That is not at first.

All our members have a certain grace period until we get to know them. After that you are one of "Us" and therefore subject to the same treatment as the other members. Which is to say you ARE quite likely to be verbally assaulted from any and every one here.... :devil:

Post your photos and I am sure you will be one of "Us" shortly thereafter..... :)

Thanx. . . I'm away from my competition guns at the moment . . . .

Will get some close ups out soon . . .Trojan should be ready for competition next week with new mods.

The Kimber is old and used hard, but I think, a nice example of a customized 2 tone. . .

I just have to giggle at this thread :roflol:

As a fellow elitest and as an open SOB :rolleyes:

In the big picture...open outnumbers SS by a huge margine :wacko:

Yet here we are at close to 3000 posts on this thread.

Something must be special about SS :cheers:

Jim :D

Something about classics!

:devil: yep

More talk than Bang

I did notice on a earlyer post that a Rim-Fire SS will get you in :goof:

:sight: Hit and run <_< I'm outA heeya

:devil: yep

More talk than Bang

I did notice on a earlyer post that a Rim-Fire SS will get you in :goof:

:sight: Hit and run <_< I'm outA heeya

Na, Open gunners need more crutches to win....I just need 8 rounds. :sight:

117 pages of ...Rules :P

Take thee back to your hole heathen dot gunner! :roflol:

Excellent. Perhaps we need a Sergeant at Arms. :cheers: ...

If that's a motion, then I second Corey's appointment to Sergeant at Arms - Gatekeeper of the Refuge of the Pure and Chaste Followers of J.M.B.

As a voting member, I motion to create the position of Sergeant at arms.

If that motion is adopted, I nominate Corey for the newly created position.

If that's a motion, then I second Corey's appointment to Sergeant at Arms - Gatekeeper of the Refuge of the Pure and Chaste Followers of J.M.B.

Corey's da man!! Excellent choice :cheers:

Pics in proper, C&L status.

Kimber003.jpg

Kimber002.jpg

pistols018.jpg

pistols019.jpg

Welcome to the Club

2 Single Stacks:

Custom Kimber .45

Close ups to follow

NRA lifemember

USPSA TY52476

TISCHLJ

Your membership is looking good, but will need to appropriate photos for confirmation

Nemo

Sargent at Arms it is

:cheers: