Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring for 1911 38 Super

trg

I have a custom buildt 5" 1911 38 Super.

The smith who buildt the gun tells me that he has installed a 10 lb recoil spring for factory ammo but if I want to shoot major loads I should replace it with a 12 lb.

12 lb for major sounds very light to me.

Which spring do you recommend for pf180 loads?

12 is a bit light for that heavy a PF. 14, maybe 16. it might depend on your load. slower gunpowders produce more recoil, and might require a stronger spring. i've had some 38 super loads that would run with a 20lb spring. scary.

The smith who buildt the gun tells me that he has installed a 10 lb recoil spring for factory ammo but if I want to shoot major loads I should replace it with a 12 lb.

You might want to chrono some of the factory ammo. It will surprise you as to how hot it is. I would stay with the 10lb spring if it will run reliably and you dont mind the gun running a little faster slide speed. We shoot major power factor all the time with limited guns in 40 and I personally run a 9lb progressive spring. Never more than 10lb. I think you should shoot it and play with different combo's and then run what feels good to you and is reliable in the gun.

You might want to chrono some of the factory ammo. It will surprise you as to how hot it is. I would stay with the 10lb spring if it will run reliably and you dont mind the gun running a little faster slide speed. We shoot major power factor all the time with limited guns in 40 and I personally run a 9lb progressive spring. Never more than 10lb. I think you should shoot it and play with different combo's and then run what feels good to you and is reliable in the gun.

+1

A couple of pounds lighter on a recoil spring isn't going to hurt the gun if it was fit/timed properly to start with.

• 2 months later...

I tried a 14lb spring yesterday. It cycled perfectly with major as well as minor loads.

It also felt less punishing to the gun with the heaviest loads.

Will the standard 10lb spring give me any advantages when shooting minor loads or should I just stick with the 14lb??

My Wilson 5" CQB, 38 Super came with a 12 pound spring. It was a blast to shoot with ball ammo, but had some minor feeding problems with Winchester Silvertips. I went up to a 14 pound spring (which is standard according to Wolff) and the problem went away. I have not shot any major PF loads through mine though. Most of the ammo I shoot is around the mid 140s PF.

• 8 months later...

+ 1

9lb variable spring and 23lbs hammer spring..bang all the time.. very smooth slide and feels good for hot loads..dot goes back to point of aim very quickly good for followthrough shot. tried and tested this combination works flawlessly..

Good luck on the range

My 9X23 uses a 14 lb. spring. I am running 124 grain JHP at a little over 1400 fps. and the 14 works fine. I have used heavier and lighter springs and the 14 seems to be the best, in my guns. Your Super would probably be fine with a 12.5 or a 14 pound.

Good Luck