Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just bought a new gun for Single Stack

41mag

thanks for all the nice welcomes every one.

Where is the right place on this forum to post topics about Single Stack? I didn't see a single stack listed.

thanks,

41mag

This is as good a place as any...! You might want to add your photo to this thread.

I noticed the grip safety don't function just right on this gun and wondered if its still ok to shoot? Unless you hold the grip safety in the on position it will allow the gun to fire.

The truth is I like it like that if its ok cause I have a high grip and have a hard time depressing a grip safety. Would it pass inspection at a match in this condition? Is it ok to disable the grip safty for USPSA shooting?

thanks,

41mag

Pat,

Many USPSA guns have the grip safety pinned or deactivated. Your primary safety (thumb safety) still needs to function properly. Either way...yours doesn't sound right. ??

(The "Stock/Limited/Production" guns section is a great place to share this type of info, btw.)

Pat,

Many USPSA guns have the grip safety pinned or deactivated. Your primary safety (thumb safety) still needs to function properly. Either way...yours doesn't sound right. ??

(The "Stock/Limited/Production" guns section is a great place to share this type of info, btw.)

Hi Kyle,

I have talked to the guy who built the gun and he will fix it if I want. If its legal to pin or disable it for USPSA shooting thats what I would rather do. I would assume from your post that it is legal. Is that correct?

thank you,

pat

ps "Stock/Limited/Production" thanks, will do

I would disable it totally. What you have is simply a very sensitive grip safety, the sear spring is probably not pushing the safety totally out of the frame therefore when you pull it back, it will engage the trigger bow. I don't want the chance of having the grip safety coming on, so I pin it and totally remove the "arm" that contacts the trigger bow for ease of assembly/disassembly.

I would disable it totally. What you have is simply a very sensitive grip safety, the sear spring is probably not pushing the safety totally out of the frame therefore when you pull it back, it will engage the trigger bow. I don't want the chance of having the grip safety coming on, so I pin it and totally remove the "arm" that contacts the trigger bow for ease of assembly/disassembly.

thanks Matt,

I will give my smith those instructions. Will that amount to much work for him? I will want to pay him for his time if this is more work then just fixing it.

pat

If you don't "want" to pin the safety, just take it off and grind off the arm that's sticking forward. It's a 30 second job, you can do it yourself. Pinning it will take drilling a hole in the mainspring housing and inserting a rollpin. Both have the same effect, pinning is just nicer because then nothing moves.

I don't know if you plan on shooting IDPA too..... but if you do....any form of deactivated grip safety with earn you a DQ. At many if not all major matches they are checked before you shoot.

Another reason to not...

Oh never mind :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Good day Sir! I'm a new shooter in USPSA. I just want to know if it's legal to deactivate the grip safety. Thanks!

Good day Sir! I'm a new shooter in USPSA. I just want to know if it's legal to deactivate the grip safety. Thanks!

It is legal to deactivate a grip safety, but the THUMB SAFETY must work!!!