Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frangible on the cheap?

AikiDale

I'll ask my boss about them tomorrow. He gave me the rundown on the various frangible ammo they tried and the relative prices. He said most shot okay, but one in particular was really good. Bad part is they were all more expensive than normal ammo...some were more than other though. R,

Is it possible to purchase just the bullets and load your own?

It is...but it's expensive. How about $265 per thousand for the 155gr .45 bullets? Ouch...

http://www.frangiblebullets.com/

Sinterfire seems a little cheaper and have a good reputation...but still $194 per thousand!

http://www.frangibleammo.com/

My boss said they tested a bunch and decided that compressed copper performed the best, but were expensive. They wound up going with a Remington frangible. He also mentioned to be careful about some of the non-toxic ammo because it was made with a twisted wire product and they would literally shrapnel in all directions if used on steel!

I bought 500 frangible bullets from frangibleammo, I bought .45 ACP 155 gr. I believe 500 cost me about $90.00

They were not that difficult to reload, the major factor was crimp. To much crimp and the bullet snapped of at the case neck. .470 crimp worked just fine, no more.

I got the frangible bug after attending Thunder Ranch, just wanted to see if the Dillon 550B would brew up some frangible rounds.

post-6427-1201315885.jpg

post-6427-1201315901.jpg

• 1 year later...

Frangible bullets are great but they will always be more expensive then cup and core bullets (regular JHP bullets). The top frangible bullets are made out of compressed copper and tin that is then baked to fuse the copper and tin together. Copper and tin will always cost more then lead. If they make them right you can shoot steel as close as you can shoot paper because the bullets will break into particles no bigger then 5 grains. Its neat shooting steel at 3 feet for the first time, it feels like sand blowing on the beach. International Cartridge makes the best frangible ammunition I’ve seen (I’m biased though because I shoot with the guys that run these companies) and frangible bullets sells International Cartridge ammunition (ICC). You have to watch you’re crimp when you load these bullets, if you use too much crimp you will score and break the bullet. It is just like scoring a pipe to cut it. If they baked the bullets too long the bullet would turn into bronze but they want the bullets to break up when shot at steel so they will break if you score them. I’ve always gotten great accuracy from frangible bullets; it is one solid piece instead of multiple pieces like a JHP so they tend to be more consistent. The problem is they run lighter then conventional bullets; copper and tin are lighter then lead. They are the best steel bullet I’ve ever found, they are also the best open 40 bullet I’ve found, Beven Grams ran them in open 40 for a long time.

There was supposed to be a big upswing in the availability of frangible bullets this year as ranges started trying to find ways to decrease their lead contamination problems. But so far, I haven't seen it happen. I'll be interested in what you find out, particularly since I was given to understand that loading frangible can be very tricky.

Frangible bullets aren’t hard to load; everything is the same as conventional bullets but the crimp. Just take you’re time setting you’re crimp die, don’t crimp just take the bell off the case. If you use too much crimp you will break the bullet. I have not heard of a massive increase in frangible bullet production, but that would make some friends of mine very happy.