Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Follow when disconnected

00bullitt

Holding the trigger to the rear while the disconnector is supposed to be disconnected and letting the slide fly and I have follow. What causes this? Short disconnector? I've done many trigger jobs and never run across this. It is at 2 pounds right now and holds without a hitch while letting the slide fly on an empty chamber. I have the total of the disconnector and sear spring set at 32 ounces. This is new to me. I believe it is a short disconnector and not completely disconnecting. I left the gun earlier to go shoot my weekly shoot and have just returned. I am going to measure the disconnector right now but am very interested in your thoughts. Please.....if you're going to respond that trigger jobs only need to be done by professionals.....I prefer not hear it.

Holding the trigger to the rear while the disconnector is supposed to be disconnected and letting the slide fly and I have follow. What causes this? Short disconnector? I've done many trigger jobs and never run across this. It is at 2 pounds right now and holds without a hitch while letting the slide fly on an empty chamber. I have the total of the disconnector and sear spring set at 32 ounces. This is new to me. I believe it is a short disconnector and not completely disconnecting. I left the gun earlier to go shoot my weekly shoot and have just returned. I am going to measure the disconnector right now but am very interested in your thoughts. Please.....if you're going to respond that trigger jobs only need to be done by professionals.....I prefer not hear it.

Short disconnector OR hammer hooks are oversquare..... have you just done a trigger job or is the problem useage related ?

Had just finished the trigger job and reassembled running my safety checks and it started following when holding the trigger to the rear. I've never run into that before. Especially when it was holding like a champ without pressing the trigger. It turned out to be a short disconnector. The gun was an STI Spartan. It had a good servicable hammer and sear. I was trying to do a good trigger job without having to replace any parts for the guy. Replaced with a cylinder and slide machined piece and good to go. What do you mean about hammer hooks oversquare. You mean canted in to the sear?

Well if they are greater or less than 90 it is not visible under a 25x microscope or measurable. I was just curious as to exactly how over square affected the hold of the sear while supposed to be disconnected. It held fine at 2 pounds while connected.

What was the disconnector length (the short one), compared to the new C&S one?

I had something similar happen, I adjusted the trigger over travel set screws and they quit following. I hadn't yet adjusted the over travel at all.

It would only follow with the trigger pulled as well. This was on the C&S drop in kits (H,S,D, 18# main and sear spring). I had checked all of them to make sure the sear had good engagement across the hooks (in their respective frames). Everything checked out. Pull weights were in the 3.5# range.

I'm having the same problem right now except mine is intermittent and driving me crazy. I'm replacing parts one at a time (with a working gun) until I find the problem. I have a considerable amount of slack in the trigger overtravel. I think that will be the next stop, then the disconnector.

Be sure to post what fixes it.

thanks

dj

Nope.....wasn't bent hammer or sear pins. It was an STI Spartan. Frame to slide fit was such that there was a bigger gap than normal between the disconnector rail to the top of the ejector block. Minimum on a disconnector is 1.285" I think. Most guns have a disconnector that runs between 1.288-1.295.

Ed Brown and EGW both have disconnectors made to the max of 1.310" for cut to fit applications for situations like this. I've never needed a disconnector this long and never had this problem arise til now.

Nope.....wasn't bent hammer or sear pins. It was an STI Spartan. Frame to slide fit was such that there was a bigger gap than normal between the disconnector rail to the top of the ejector block. Minimum on a disconnector is 1.285" I think. Most guns have a disconnector that runs between 1.288-1.295.

Ed Brown and EGW both have disconnectors made to the max of 1.310" for cut to fit applications for situations like this. I've never needed a disconnector this long and never had this problem arise til now.

Excessive overtravel will definitely cause this. Make sure it is adjusted properly.