Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Flips

ruready

I didn't realize how much the muzzle flips on my G17 until I watched myself shoot a match. I am shooting WWB, and G17 is pretty much bone stock. At this point, I'm not sure if the muzzle flip is holding me back. All this time, if I'm behind the gun, it doesn't bother me. I can always see the sights come back down to the notch. But after watching myself, it now makes me wonder. Any help is appreciated. :rolleyes:

Edited by ruready

WWB is not a hot load by any measuring stick - BUT - it's probably a little bit hotter than someone's fine tuned handloads.

On the last shooting position, your weak hand's grip was in question for me. You can see you readjusting your grip after nearly every shot. (when your thumb pops off the frame...)

I'd put a little piece of skateboard tape on the "ledge" by the takedown lever and that way it will give your off hand thumb a place to aim to be. As also suggested, I'd try squeezing a bit more with your off hand on the grip and see what that gets you.

I can see more gains in other areas that would be more benefitial. The gun is going to recoil. And if you are truely seeing the sight come back into the rear notch- you are ahead of alot of folks! :) I would suggest you focus more on keeping the gun up while moving and reloading. On the second array of targets, it seemed like they were close enough to shoot them as you came into position by the sounds of your splits. And when shooting on the move, move forward when ever possible. Looks like on the third and fourth array you were struggling to shoot moving backwards and could have shot them moving forwards with better results. Hope you don't mind the suggestions. :D

Looks like your shooting Production, be careful where you put any grip-tape, not allowed on frame along support hand thumb area, only grip portion (see the appendix in rulebook).

Homie - you are absolutely right - thank you for pointing that out!! After watching a buddy shoot Open with a Glock 19 at last year's Nats because of a piece of grip tape on the bottom of the trigger gaurd you would have thought I would remember that.

Carry on!

It's your grip, mostly. Focus on getting a better grip and you won't have to fight the gun so much and constantly re-establish your weak hand on the gun.

You might want to get a noncaptured SS guiderod and use a 13 or 14 lb recoil spring. Your slide looked really sluggish. This will also help with the recoil. Fix your grip first though.

If you guys are referring to my grip on the last array, I know that I didn't have a perfect grip there. Entering the shooting area was too tight and I have easily broke the 180 there. The angle of how the video was taken did not show the difficulty of entering the last array.

SA Friday, your suggestion of going with a lighter recoil spring would make the slide cycle faster? I'm curious to know how. I always thought that going with a lighter recoil spring would even make it slower.

Here is me shoting 40 MAJOR (stock rod and spring)

http://www.shooter-grrl.com/be_pics/kyle_stage1.mpg

(IMO)

You should do Burkett's timing drills. Adjusting your grip as per the instructions.

You should have a desire to return the gun sooner.

You should have 70% of your grip pressure from your weak-hand.

You should have your weak-hand "cammed".

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59482

WWB is not a hot load by any measuring stick - BUT - it's probably a little bit hotter than someone's fine tuned handloads.

While WWB is not a "hot" load, I can definitely tell the difference between it and my handloads. I recently had to switch to WWB during a match due to some issues with my handloads. Certainly took an adjustment in the middle of the match.

(IMO)

You should do Burkett's timing drills. Adjusting your grip as per the instructions.

+10 to what Flex said.

If you guys are referring to my grip on the last array, I know that I didn't have a perfect grip there. Entering the shooting area was too tight and I have easily broke the 180 there. The angle of how the video was taken did not show the difficulty of entering the last array.

SA Friday, your suggestion of going with a lighter recoil spring would make the slide cycle faster? I'm curious to know how. I always thought that going with a lighter recoil spring would even make it slower.

There are dozen of strings about this in the Glock section and other sections. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me at first either. There are others on the forum that have explained it better than I can. Do a quick search.

(IMO)

Wow, Flex I"m impressed with your run there! That looked great.