Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Docter red dot slide mounted on EAA Gold Team

jmleenz

hello all - this is my first post here...

I have a new EAA Gold Team that I am currently running with a C-more and a Hennings frame mount. I want to go with something with a lower sight picture so a nice low slide-mounted Docter seems to be the best bet. A couple problems though...the rear of the slide is already milled out and there is also a small pin/spring (firing pin block?) that resides there. Also, the slide racker sits in the dovetail where the rear side would normally be.

My question is; Has anyone seen a slide mounted Docter type red dot mounted on this gun or a similar kind? If so, does anyone have any pics? Any projected issues with the firing pin/springs and or the dimensions with the rear of the slide? I have attached a few photos so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

CIMG1250.jpg

CIMG1249.jpg

CIMG1248.jpg

it looks like the cut on the back of your slide is for their version of a bomar. Call docter and I bet they have a mount that will go right into that slot. You can slide the mount in and then bolt the docter in place. Quite an easy job.

The pin sitting in the rear sight hole is the firing pin block. It can be removed without issue as we did it on my dad's Gold Team. Keep in mind you ARE DISABLING A SAFETY. If you are ok with that then pull the firing pin (similar to a 1911) and the block comes out with it's spring. You'll notice the trigger might be smoother after reassembling as well.

I believe there is quite a bit of metal there to melt in your Jpoint/doctor. The two men who could best answer if it's been/can be done would be Henning who you can find in the dealer section or Rich at Canyon Creek Custom who has done some extensive Tanfoglio mods.

The mount that goes on the side is a "Barry Mount" named after the creator (forgot his full name). My dad has one of these as well and it's kinda slick on his STI. Not sure how the geometry would match up with a Gold team as the scope mount holes to slide top are different I believe. The Barry on a STI puts the c-more lens RIGHT on top of the slide so that may make clearences close on the Gold Team

You'll love the Gold Team, I've shot a few and love them. Have one on order myself :ph34r:

Edited by KSmoker

Perhaps a Barry without the holes drilled in it would work? I think the dustcovers are the same with as S_Is so it should line up on center alright and you could adjust the heigt by where you drill the holes in the mount.

Just thinkin' out loud here.....

Beven Grams mounted mine for me. You can't use the slide racker when the scope is mounted.

Picture of Tanfoglio with Docter scope

YES! That is EXACTLY what I am going for! I am currently running the C-more on a Hennings mount and I just cant get used to the super high sight picture. I zero'd it in @15yards, which puts me about 8" high @25yrds! Thats just too much adjustment for me. Your Gold Team looks amazing. I have been searching everywhere for some one with that exact set up. What did Grams charge you for that set-up/machine work? Is that the Gen. 4 Docter? Any problems with the sight so far? Would you mind sharing more detailed pics of the Docter set-up? Mine is .40S&W. Have only put about 100 rounds of factory speer through it but had zero failures. Here is some pics of the pistol as it sits:

CIMG1261.jpg

CIMG1269.jpg

CIMG1264.jpg

What did Grams charge you for that set-up/machine work? Is that the Gen. 4 Docter? Any problems with the sight so far? Would you mind sharing more detailed pics of the Docter set-up?

I honestly can't remember what the cost of milling the slide was, it was a while ago so perhaps prices have changed anyway. Best bet is to give Beven a call and ask him, he used to do special pricing if you bought the Docter scope from him at the same time.

Mine is 4th generation but the latest scopes are even better. I've had this one for several years (it was on my SVI before this gun) and I've not had a problem with it.

I don't have any other pictures at the moment. If I can find some time I'll try to take some more and post them.