Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB Primer Feed Question...

During a run using SP primers, I had a number seat flipped and a few sideways. The magazine orifice was gauled up so I replaced it with a spare but when re-assembled, primers failed to feed. Checked the primer slide height (good) and alignment in the tube...primer cup perfectly centered under orifice. After an eternity of trial & error, I finally got the primer feeding 100 % -but- (and, here's the question)...to feed properly, the primer slide must be adjusted to move past center of the primer drop orifice. I checked this repeatedly with primer feed mechanism removed by small adjustments and dropping a single primer at a time and manually moving the slide under the orifice. Once it picked up the single primer every time I replaced the feed, loaded it up and primed a batch as fast as I could load cases.

Is it normal for the primer cup travel to have to go past "center" of the orifice tip or am I "covering up" a different issue by over-adjusting?

During a run using SP primers, I had a number seat flipped and a few sideways. The magazine orifice was gauled up so I replaced it with a spare but when re-assembled, primers failed to feed. Checked the primer slide height (good) and alignment in the tube...primer cup perfectly centered under orifice. After an eternity of trial & error, I finally got the primer feeding 100 % -but- (and, here's the question)...to feed properly, the primer slide must be adjusted to move past center of the primer drop orifice. I checked this repeatedly with primer feed mechanism removed by small adjustments and dropping a single primer at a time and manually moving the slide under the orifice. Once it picked up the single primer every time I replaced the feed, loaded it up and primed a batch as fast as I could load cases.

Is it normal for the primer cup travel to have to go past "center" of the orifice tip or am I "covering up" a different issue by over-adjusting?

I was flipping primers in the cup a lot. I found the problem to be cup height. It was catching the bottom of the shell plate a little, and 'popping' the spring, sometimes flipping or turning the primer. I got that sucker down tight and low (ouch, hurts the thumb) and now it runs well.

(I know, I didn't answer your question. Sorry, don't know.)

With the 3 SDBs I had I never had a primer problem that wasn't related to a bad orifice tip.

I'm guessing you have overadjusted something, especially if it was working before.

Yep, a bad tip is definitely what started the mess. I began adjusting the primer slide travel only after the new orifice failed to feed a few test primers.

I'm just curious about the cup's correct alignment relationship with the primer orifice tip. When my primer slide adjustment screw is set to end slide travel with the cup perfectly centered under the orifice tip (easy to see looking down tube from above with light on cup), primers do not drop. However, back the screw out furthur and alllow the slide to come past center a bit, it feeds 100%. Trying to find out if this is unusual or, within the norm. I guess if it feeds, it feeds so no big deal but seems odd. I've checked & re-checked everything else & all seems within spec. Setting cup height presents no issue since the primer punch has to bottom out to be within the 1.41 spec.

You do want to adjust the primer slide to come back just past center of the plastic orifice. The primer doesn't drop flat into the cup, it tips in.

So your findings are correct. :ph34r:

Excellent!, thank you for the definitive answer. Sometimes what "appears" to be obvious isn't the case and this is one of them. Good to know that I was not having to "over-adjust" to compensate for something else amiss.

When I cycle the (removed) primer slide manually and watch the primer behavior as the cup passes underneath the orifice I can see exactly what you describe...the primer will tip down into the cup but either not not drop at all or not drop cleanly. Adjusted for travel to exceed past center a bit, perfect. (This little tidbit might make a good addition for inclusion in the user manual).

FWIW, I've found that on mine once properly adjusted, a primer size change requires no adjustment...large & small both feed just fine.

Thanks again for the post, I appreciate it.

Edited by D. Manley