Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Custom Open Gun -- 22 Caliber?

TrueDoubleTaper

Saw a thread on 22 cal steel challenge guns and I just finished mine and wanted to put it up. I guess it is not completely finished, it still needs to be coated and it may be the recipient of some cuts to make it look better.... I use this for practice when trying new things, different types of movement, etc, as it is much cheaper to shoot than a full blown race gun. It then doubles as my 22 steel gun! You can spend all day shooting it and only spend 20 bucks on ammo. With component prices out there, I figured the gun would pay for itself in a few months!!!

I custom built a slide racker for it to match up with my open guns, mounted it to a 2011 Aluminum frame (Total gun weight is 34.5 oz with steel comp, 32 oz with Al), Milled some custom swenson safeties, Made some major modifications to improve extraction and ejection, and even made a custom ramp for the barrel that feeds the 22 cartriges without damage to the rounds and prevents any feed malfunctions. Threaded the barrel and put a threaded sleeve in the comp so I can screw on a piece that will make it really fun to shoot. Just need to finish the federal OK for that one. Hope you like it, and hopefully it gives a few of you ideas for your own.

post-6804-1201020791.jpg

post-6804-1201020808.jpg

post-6804-1201020828.jpg

post-6804-1201020839.jpg

post-6804-1201020985.jpg

I want one! To cool! You gotta quit posting these blasters, you gonna make me write some bad checks. :angry2:

Can I have an extended payment plan? :D

Edited by FullRace

Hmm...I wouldn't think that there would be enough gas generated in a .22 LR load to work a comp much at all. How does it shoot relative to a similiar setup without the comp?

It works alittle, main reason I use the comp is its steel and adds 3oz to make it feel closer to my open gun.

Flyin

Hmm...I wouldn't think that there would be enough gas generated in a .22 LR load to work a comp much at all. How does it shoot relative to a similiar setup without the comp?

I think you feel a huge differenct with the comp on. The added weight helps balance a bit more but I feel the comp is very affective.

That is too cool! B) Is it gonna be a dedicated gun or do you switch out top ends when you shot USPSA Open? Looks to be a Marvel unit.

It is completely dedicated. When I get the entire gun coated I will blend the rear of the marvel slide to the rear of the frame to get a perfect fit. I just did not want to do it until I have everything perfect as then I have bare Al on the slide.

Marvel makes an STI unit?

AWESOME!!!! :cheers:

From what I understand it is basically the same top end but with different mags. I want to say that somewhere I heard that there is a 15 round mag for the Mavel kits but I have not been able to find any information on it.

Joe W.

Marvel makes an STI unit?

AWESOME!!!! :cheers:

From what I understand it is basically the same top end but with different mags. I want to say that somewhere I heard that there is a 15 round mag for the Mavel kits but I have not been able to find any information on it.

Joe W.

The Marvel mag is 10 rounds with spacers to fit the fat mag well. Ceiner maybe?

SVI/STI LR Conversion Unit

This is the original Marvel 1911 .22 LR Conversion Unit, but with a wide-body magazine included. It will fit all STI/SVI, ParaOrdinance and many other "wide-body" frames. One magazine included; extra magazines available.

I saw somewhere that their standard capacity went up to 15 rounds from 10. Kick around there website a bit and I am sure you will find the answer. Cool thing about the Unit 2 is you can change the front sight to a narrower .100" fiber optic as an option.

ss-mag.jpg

http://www.marvelprecision.com/STISVIPOmag.htm

Edited by Rocket35