Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying to CA what mags can I take for lim ?

spooledup

Not sure where this post belongs . I was just wanting to know what mags ( hi caps or 10 rds ) I need to take to stay out of trouble n CA ? I shoot lim. with 20 rounders but from what I understand I may only take 10 rounders to CA. Is this correct? I will be flying out in two weeks and dont want any problems at the airport in VA or CA . Thanks , JP

Well I have no idea about CA but Virginia is a free state so no problems there. I noticed the Marion NC on your profile. I grew up off Goose creak road, Between Sugar hill road and 221. Graduated McDowell High class of 86.

I've always wondered about that. Does that mean that if you can't find preban mags and you live in cali that you shoot L10, production, SS, and revo? So if you have a major match the majority of the limtied and open shooters are out of state?

its legal to own hi caps in kalifornia if you owned them before Jan 1, 2000.

CALIFORNIA CODES

PENAL CODE

SECTION 12020-12040

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following

is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year

or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be

manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or

exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity

magazine.

Well thanks for all the replys on this topic . Joe4d small world huh . I live right past the dodge dealer off Suger Hill rd. So from what I gather I can take my hicaps to CAand then leave with my hicaps from CA . Is that correct ? Reading yoshidaex post makes me wonder .

Ya I'm wodering about that too. Are most guys shooting L10

or what. I know the guys that have been around are ok but what

about new guys?

Does anyone have a link to the DOJ statement about traveling into the state?

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

I'm no lawyer so please don't take what i write as the law.

I've been told no hi caps can come into the state. None of this "straight to a match only and back out of state". The law is specific when they say "NO IMPORTATION"

Hence why there are no large matches in kalifornia.

California Penal Code 12020

Edited by yoshidaex

It is allowed for competition only.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

Article 2

12280 towards the end...

(1) The person is attending or going directly to or coming directly from an organized competitive match or league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle.

(2) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one of the following:

(A) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.

(B) A target range of a public or private club or organization that is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.

(3) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.

Any centerfire pistol with the ability to hold more than 10-rounds is consider an "assult weapon" in CA. Call CA DOJ, I have plenty of times.

Importation applies to sale, manufacture, lending of magazines, or if you had them legally before in the state of CA, move away for any period of time,then move back to California, that is the importation that is illegal.

Steel Challenge, Golden Bullet, I know there are plenty of people who brought hi-cap fro outof state, them took them back when the competition was over which is legal.

Call CA DOJ

Assault Weapon Registration and Special Weapon Permits

Phone: (916) 263-8100

I am not giving legal advice or commenting on what people have done. What I will point out is that nowhere have I seen anything that says > 10 round magazines can be imported into the state. "AW" or 50 BMG, yes, but not mags. I would recommend being careful giving/taking advice without specific references and even with that, one may want to contact the proper officals prior to doing anything.

Later,

Chuck

+1 to what Chuck says.

Word for word, whats posted below is how they define a pistol as an AW:

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

(B ) A second handgrip.

(C ) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.

(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Unless CADOJ faxes or writes you a letter saying something is legal or illegal to do, I'll follow the law according to how its written.

Steel Challenge video Most of those stages are 5 rounds per string. Isn't the steel challenge supposed to be revolver friendly :)

Can't comment on Golden Bullet :mellow:

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

This was explained to me that it refers to magazine capacity, unless it is "fixed" to hold 10 rounds or less. Fixed by having the sides of the magazine where it can have no more than 10 rounds. Fixed also means that it can't be changed to hi-cap by taking off the basepad and removing a spacer making it a hi-cap easily.

I think it is a wise idea to call CA DOJ and get the information yourself and get it in writing.

I called the CA DOJ with this exact question for a buddy coming out to shoot a match and was told NO magazines with over 10 round capacity may be brought into the state. Period. Felony if caught.

That matches my experience. There is no competition exception for magazines in the CA law!. Reality may differ, but that's what it says on paper.

I called the CA DOJ with this exact question for a buddy coming out to shoot a match and was told NO magazines with over 10 round capacity may be brought into the state. Period. Felony if caught.

That matches my experience. There is no competition exception for magazines in the CA law!. Reality may differ, but that's what it says on paper.

That is correct. The exemption is for the guns only. NOT THE HIGH CAP MAGS. Bring 10 rounders to be legal.

That is correct. The exemption is for the guns only. NOT THE HIGH CAP MAGS. Bring 10 rounders to be legal.

Correct. The ban on > 10 round magazines is contained in a different section of the law than the AW ban. The AW ban has a competitor exemption; the mag ban does not.

One must have *personally possessed* the mags in CA prior to the ban to be legal. CA enforces this vigorously, and for all practical purposes, the burden of proof is on the person in possession of the magazine.

I wish people would stop making up non-existent exemptions to the law that could get someone into serious trouble (I know of cases where CA prosecuted possession of 30 round magazines as felonies, on count per magazine).

I live in Oregon and was considering taking a trip to Arizona and, or course, the shortest route is through California. I planned on taking several guns with me to shoot matches along the way including 3-gun matches with an AR-15 with 30-round mags and standard capacity pistol mags >10-rounds. So I called the Cal DOJ and was told "NO". How about I disassemble them? NO How about I disassemble them, lock mag bodies in a box without the other parts? NO. "If you bring magazines into California >10-rounds you WILL be arrested"!

I didn't make the trip...

Ed

I live in Oregon and was considering taking a trip to Arizona and, or course, the shortest route is through California. I planned on taking several guns with me to shoot matches along the way including 3-gun matches with an AR-15 with 30-round mags and standard capacity pistol mags >10-rounds. So I called the Cal DOJ and was told "NO". How about I disassemble them? NO How about I disassemble them, lock mag bodies in a box without the other parts? NO. "If you bring magazines into California >10-rounds you WILL be arrested"!

I didn't make the trip...

Ed

That is wrong, I don't doubt that CA DOJ told you that, I have gotten different answers from them as well. But there is the Firearm Owners Protection Act "Safe Passage" provision, no law is above the Federal Law. Unfortunately, you can be arrested for anything and then the burden is put on you.

removed politcal comment

Edited by HoMiE

The DOJ is never the prosecuting body, nor are they particularly keen on interpreting or clarifying the written law - it's up to each individual DA in the 58 counties to decide. That is the line of BS they give us gun owners when we ask for clarification in the law concerning "bullet buttons", or Off List Lowers.

California can be tough. If you are traveling with firearms your best bet it to refuse a search of your vehicle (which is your constitutional right) and state you having nothing illegal in your vehicle.

Jeff

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is legal to be in possession of replacement parts for magazines greater than 10 rounds, and to purchase the same in California for the purpose of refurbishing such magazines.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is legal to be in possession of replacement parts for magazines greater than 10 rounds, and to purchase the same in California for the purpose of refurbishing such magazines.

yep. its legal to repair your hi cap mags you owned before 1/1/2000 with like parts.