Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

warm powder vs cold temps

redwoods

I am trying to make a round to shoot major pf in Florida. I live in Colorado and it is cold here. I shot the other day in 20 degree weather but kept my mag and round in my pocket to keep them warm. I got 170pf with titegroup. If I go to florida and it is 70, will my powder run hotter?

Is it the outside temp or the temp of the powder at the time it is shot?

Randy

I am trying to make a round to shoot major pf in Florida. I live in Colorado and it is cold here. I shot the other day in 20 degree weather but kept my mag and round in my pocket to keep them warm. I got 170pf with titegroup. If I go to florida and it is 70, will my powder run hotter?

Is it the outside temp or the temp of the powder at the time it is shot?

Randy

My experience is YES!!!

With Titegroup, the warmer the weather, the higher the velocities. Depending on how warm your magazine and ammo was, you could be pushing 180+ power factor with a 50 degree temp change down in Florida. Of course, it all depends on what the weather is down there too.

If I were you, I'd keep the magazine you were about to use to chrono inside your running car next to the defroster. Then get ready to blast, whip that magazine out and see what you come up with. It is the temperature of the ammo/powder not the air temp that makes a difference (with the PF swings).

I'm having the same problem you are. I live in MN and I'm also going down to the open. I plan on chronographing some loads here too. I plan on keeping a magazine in the car next to the heat, and then take one out and leave it out in the cold, then chrono those loads and see what kind of difference I come up with. I want to shoot Clays though, not TG.

Edited by Zerwas