Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays and Universal Clays

ramtough47

They are completely different powders, not at all interchangeable. There has been a lot of weeping and wailing over Hodgdon using the word "clays" on the labels of three different powders (There is an International Clays, too, but it has few if any pistol uses.) and getting reloaders all confused. Strange, nobody seems to have trouble keeping the Red, Green, and Blue Dots straight.

OK, lecture over.

Official data can be found at:

http://www.hodgdon.com/index.php

Clays is very fast burning and is marginal for 9mm P. Hodgdon gives loads for it with 115 and 125 grain bullets, but not 147. Universal clays is a medium burning powder well suited for 9mm and they have loads for it in all bullet weights.

However, there is a tendency in USPSA and IDPA to use the fastest burning powder that is remotely suitable because it is thought to reduce felt recoil. I am sure somebody will come along with loads he likes with Clays. Me? I use HP38.

Guys,

the Hodgdon powders you are discussing are manufactured in Australia so I have plenty of experience with them.

"Clays" is a fast buring powder similar to Bullseye. It's best used in shotshells.

"Universal Clays" is closer to Unique - maybe a bit faster. It can be utilsed in 9mm loads but needs a dense loading to achieve best effect. Better to use projectiles 135gn or heavier. The loading of 125gn or less results in too much variation in velocity.

Universal really shines in .40 cal / 180 - 200gn loadings. It was our number one choice for .40 until the government banned calibres larger than .38 in Australia.

Kirby.

Ram, the powder depends on the application..... ;)

Now, it depends on what you want to do with it. CLAYS is great for minor steel loads, very soft. I have found them not as accurate as using W 231 or VV 320. I am also in the process of trying Solo 1000 as well.

Universal Clays can be used, but your charge weights will be higher, using more powder, and the recoil signature may be more than the others for what you want.

IF you havent, try some searches in this forum for either the powders or loads that you need....we have had a lot of info shared for this caliber.

Good luck,

DougC

Guys,

the Hodgdon powders you are discussing are manufactured in Australia so I have plenty of experience with them.

"Clays" is a fast buring powder similar to Bullseye. It's best used in shotshells.

"Universal Clays" is closer to Unique - maybe a bit faster. It can be utilsed in 9mm loads but needs a dense loading to achieve best effect. Better to use projectiles 135gn or heavier. The loading of 125gn or less results in too much variation in velocity.

Universal really shines in .40 cal / 180 - 200gn loadings. It was our number one choice for .40 until the government banned calibres larger than .38 in Australia.

Kirby.

Kirby:

Universal Clays is SLOWER than Clays.

Also, Alliant is now using the name Clays for one of their powders. It's a shotgun powder for clay pigeon shooting.

I'm using Clays in .45. Loading 230 gr Frontier (plated) in a new Glock21. 3.8 won't cycle the gun, 4.0 only makes 154 pf @ 40 degrees but is super soft shooting. I will try these in my 1911 when I get my slide back, and go up to 4.2 (which is OVER MAX per Hodgens web site) for the Glock.

Bruce

I have an unopened pound of Clays that someone gave to me, is there any use for it in 40?45? Practice loads? etc?

[thread drift]

The listed max load for .45 ACP with a 230 grain bullet (4.0 grains) works well with RNL - 3.9 grains gave 747 fps from my M&P .45 and completely reliable function. With a .40 180 grain Hornady LFP, 3.2 grains (3.5 is max) gives 760 fps (137 PF) from my .40 M&P and functions well too.

[/thread drift]

Clays, or AS30 as it's known in Australia is a handy powder for .45 ACP loads, as it is close to "Bullsye" in burn / peak pressure rate.

I'd not use it in .40 cal unless you wanted minor factor loads.

RePete,

yes, as I stated: Clays is very similar to Bullseye. Universal Cays is similar to Unique.

Unique is much slower burning than Bullsye.

Kirby.

I have an unopened pound of Clays that someone gave to me, is there any use for it in 40?45? Practice loads? etc?

I use 4.1-4.3 grs of Clays behind a 200gr Ranier RN as my major load with a 5" 45, Kart Barrelled 1911 for Single Stack. Works quite well.