Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 Large SD/ES

trodrig

So, in trying to get a better steel load together I tested out some rounds today with 5.0grains of N320 behind an MG 115 JHP at 1.235" OAL using once fired Starline 38SC brass. Accuracy was AWESOME but the chrono showed an SD of ~30 and an ES of ~90!! Power factor was around 135. What do ya'll think? Should I work up a little higher and see if the velocity distribution tightens up some? Or, since the accuracy was good, should I just run with it?

Thanks,

Trodrig

We ahve done a huge amount of experimenting with N320 (and others) in 38Super and Super Comp at around 130pf for Action Pistol. If you use a small amount of next to no crimp you get better accuracy but the SD / Es go up. Using either MG or Zero 115gr JHP I got my best accuracy with .002" crimp under case diameter and 4.8gr TG or 4.8-5.0gr N320. ES was around 40 with SD at 8 (all ten round groups). Power factor in a 6" 38Super was around 132. Groups came it at 1.5" at 50Y

When I pushed it up a bit to 5.2gr TG and crimped to .004" under case diameter the ES went down to 11-15fps over ten shots SD was 3. Accuracy dropped away to about 2.5" at 50.

Using new or once fired brass, Sierra 115gr JHP and 4.9gr TG and my .002" crimp setting I get sub 1" at 50 all the time the best ever is 6 shots touching at 50Y. ES is 50 and SD about 12.

So ot all comes down to what your gun or you will tolerate.

If it is clean, accurate and feels good go with it!!

Thanks for the info!

Since this is for steel and I don't need to worry about making major, I guess worrying about SD is really not that high of a priority. I'll just focus on the accuracy.

Thanks!

Trodrig