Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Dry Fire Issue

Greg Bell

Well I know there are a few dry fire gurus here who shoot Glocks, so I need some experienced advice.

I've been shooting for about 5 years so I'm not a complete newbie. I shoot with a good solid thumbs forward grip and place the pad of my finger on the trigger. When dry firing I don't get any bounce or bobble at the sight but I do get a very-very-very slight quiver. To me it feels like the energy from the striker spring unloading just has nowhere to go. I just cannot get that to go away so the other day I'm thinking ok it's me and my technique has fallen apart. I go get my 1911 out and try a few dry fires with that. Rock solid no hint of any movement whatsoever. So are you guys able to get there with a Glock or is just me?

Remember that the Glock has a longer trigger pull. There will be a little more movement of the sights. But try and remember that there's something else that Brian Enos likes to call "acceptable sight picture". When your sights waiver, can you still call your shot ? Do you believe you still would have nailed an A ???

Do you believe you still would have nailed an A ???

Probably it just doesn't look or feel "right", after posting I went and got my carry gun and unloaded it and it does the same thing as my gamer gun.

Edited by Greg Bell

Two things:

The rear of the slide will protrude slightly upward during trigger pull and then fall at the release of the striker. tightning the slide rails is the only way to get rid of this slight movement

Use a snap cap and see if that changes things. I reload a spent primer into one of my dummy rounds before dry firing and use that for my draw dry firing drills, and it works fine. I seem to have thousands of those spent primers in my recycle bucket for some reason...

OK I finally bought a pack of snap-caps to try and it does seem to dampened that movement down a bit. These were a-zoom caps which have a pretty stiff "silicone" material in the primer pocket.

Edited by Greg Bell

Remember that the Glock has a longer trigger pull. There will be a little more movement of the sights. But try and remember that there's something else that Brian Enos likes to call "acceptable sight picture". When your sights waiver, can you still call your shot ? Do you believe you still would have nailed an A ???

Sights LIE... they always exaggerate the amount of movement. Aiming misalignment is a tiny error compared to trigger yank movement.