Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shells for trap, skeet and clays

SteveHarris

I've pulled apart quite a few shells to see what's in them.

The Estates I've separated all had shot in them that was "silver" in color. Whatever that means. Very round rolled on the surface plate and seemed harder than most. Coated? Don't know.

My 1 oz 12 ga hard shot reloads are costing exactly $4.29 a box to load that's including tax on the components. Promo shells seem to be the lowest right now at a place called Dick's Sporting Goods a chain and are $4.99/box less 10% on a case + tax. or $49.50 a case out the door. The fella at dick's told me Friday that when the next truck comes prices are going up. :angry:

I got 1 flat of RIO's last year, and don't think I will ever buy them again. They break clays just fine, but so does everything else.

Dirtier than Estates, or Gun Club. Only shells I have seen that won't always chamber enough for the bottom barrel to fire.

I may have got the worst case of shells they ever made, but they are the worst shells I've ever had.

Hmm I am getting ready to buy another 50 flats of Rios, the blue ones. They work fine and are reasonably clean. If my supplier (Connie's Components) does not have Rios I will buy Estates as they work fine and are reasonably clean. Shooting a gas gun, however, I believe Rios leave less crud in the system but no big deal. Rio's Top Sporting the green hulls work too but Connie's did not carry them last time I asked.

Don't see any reason that Rios should be less expensive than Estates.