Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are you 50 years old?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a colonoscopy years ago when I was taken to the hospital for diverticulitis. Drinking the goop and blowing the poop was horrible. At least it was a short walk to the procedure room and back. I'm highly resistant to opiates for some reason so the Demerol cocktail didn't knock me out. It was about like 1 Heineken. Luckily the colonoscopy didn't hurt either. I was able to walk back to my room without trouble.

Fast forward to a new doc who says I should get another one. I tell the doc of my concerns since I live 80 miles away. How am I going to do the prep garbage, how am I going to drive home when they say I'll be loopy, etc. "Don't worry about it" he says. The hospital will tell me what to do and none of that will be a problem. I called them and they say they don't know what my doc is talking about, those ARE all problems. The desk person I'm talking to tells me they'll consult with someone and get back to me. Of course they didn't.

So how the hell does someone that doesn't have a wife to drive them everywhere get this handled? I can't be the first.

Edited by pig4bill

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/19/2020 at 9:10 PM, pig4bill said:

So how the hell does someone that doesn't have a wife to drive them everywhere get this handled?

Assuming they were willing, I would probably try and find a reasonable cost hotel near the hospital and arrange for them to call me a cab to get me to my room after the procedure. If that didn't work I would advertise locally for a kid with a drivers license who wanted to make an easy buck. Good luck - may be in your shoes soon. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

Female friend of mine was sick last year and put off going in for testing/treatment because of Covid.  In November she got an ambulance ride to the hospital and never made it home.  She was diagnosed with advanced colorectal cancer and was dead in four months.  I think everyone agrees that regular testing isn't fun or something we want to do.  But it's important because early detection and treatment is significant when it comes to achieving a positive outcome.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:16 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Assuming they were willing, I would probably try and find a reasonable cost hotel near the hospital and arrange for them to call me a cab to get me to my room after the procedure. If that didn't work I would advertise locally for a kid with a drivers license who wanted to make an easy buck. Good luck - may be in your shoes soon. 

Around here they don't even want you taking a cab or an Uber or anything not involving a very trusted person.  Because one of the last drugs they give you going under is an amnesia drug so you don't remember things you did while wide awake, even afterwards.

A nurse I know tells this story-- she got a colonoscopy and insisted with husband beforehand "when I'm done, we're going to Waffle House".   She gets home and says "Hey!  We didn't go to Waffle House!."  He says "Yeah we did, here's the receipt".  

11 hours ago, shred said:

Around here they don't even want you taking a cab or an Uber or anything not involving a very trusted person.  Because one of the last drugs they give you going under is an amnesia drug so you don't remember things you did while wide awake, even afterwards.

A nurse I know tells this story-- she got a colonoscopy and insisted with husband beforehand "when I'm done, we're going to Waffle House".   She gets home and says "Hey!  We didn't go to Waffle House!."  He says "Yeah we did, here's the receipt".  

Good point. The person with me when I had mine has had a lot of fun with it since she figured out that I didn't remember squat about what I did afterwards. 

They really could insert an alien anal probe and you would not know the difference. 

• 11 months later...

I started this thread when I was 36. Now It’s my turn. I just turned 50. 

My nervousness stems from the fact that I have seen the complications associated with this procedure. As a surgeon I have personally taken care of three patients that have had their colon perforated. All three perforations  were caused by physicians that weren’t surgeons. One perforation was caused by an internal medicine doctor, and the other two were caused by a family practitioner. 

Over the years I have personally trained more than 40 surgeons. There is one surgeon practicing in my area that has earned my utmost respect, and I have 100% confidence in his ability. He is by far the best surgeon in our community. The only problem is he isn’t in my insurance network so I find myself having to decide to either pay out of pocket or choosing someone I don’t know. This sucks. 

DA297128-8446-4C8D-9474-0F01FAA6AFDE.jpeg

Edited by CSEMARTIN

• 5 months later...
On 10/13/2021 at 5:16 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Good advice. I have done both.