Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are you 50 years old?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday morning at our weekly morbidity and mortality conference, another surgeon presented a patient that died in the operating room. He put off his screening colonoscopy, and at the age of 53, a colon cancer was discovered with a softball-sized metastasis in his liver. This surgeon attempted to resect this segment of liver, bleeding began, the patient arrested, and after 90 minutes of CPR, the patient was pronounced.

Like Dave said above, don't put this off. A colonoscopy could save your life.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a my second today. This time I had nothing. Clean and good for another five years. One of my retired friends didn't get checked because he was too "busy". Years later he got checked and it was too late.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, over 50 and working going for my second in April. Due to my late grandmother passing or colon cancer I get to be on a five year cycle.

The prep is way worse than the procedure, and that really wasn't all that bad.

I actually found the whole experience rather interesting since I woke up half way through.

Lady down the block from me is apparently hard to put under also. They had her in for surgery and the docs are getting ready to start and Louise raises her hand and says "I'm not out yet." She said the surgeon had a look on his face like "WTF?" and the anesthesia guy was freaked out by it.

I go for another in May and the sleep is VERY restful. The most enjoyable part of the entire procedure.

• 2 weeks later...

I turned 50 in Dec 2012. I have been in the Marine Corps for 27 years. So that is like 2 years of life for 1. So my body is like 80 years old. I had my colon check, prostate exam and other old man exams this year. I just had surgery on my shoulder. I had the other one operated on last year. I can't see anything without glasses. I have ringing in the ears and loss of hearing (i use hearing aids). Last week I was told I have sleep apnea. Getting old just plain sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

About halfway through the bowel prep now.
Surgi center calls to see if I can take an earlier appointment due to a cancellation. Wife is out shopping so I agree.

I call to tell her figuring it would be a good thing and shes not happy due to having to work her schedule around again.

I try to call back to keep my original appointment and they're closed for the day.

Not fun here right now.

Everything went ok. Couple of polyps found and removed but my doc says they looked benign to him.

Found out we were both at the NY Islanders last game when the Penguins won in OT.

Held up the whole show while we discussed hockey...nurses were NOT pleased. Whoops.

Only bad part was this time I had BAD gas pain from the air they use to blow things up. Could hardly move or breathe without pain.

It passed after a while but that part was not fun.

I go in for my first time next week.

My old dude friends are telling me the drugs are awesome, but you gotta keep thinking happy thoughts to avoid a bad trip. :wacko:

Had a barium enema years ago...this can't be any worse than that! :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Had mine done. The prep drink isn't something I would drink recreationally, but other than that it was just a sleepless night sitting on the toilet followed by having the nice anesthesiologist turning out my lights. The wife said I was quite the amusing chatty soul when they brought me back to recovery. That's okay, her's is next week. Hehehehehe....

Seriously, get this done. It is not as bad as a night of Jaegermeister and bad sushi and we did that for fun. This can save your life.

Friday morning for me - gotta start chugging the NU-LYTELY in the morning so I'm enjoying my limit (3) of 100 proof Ezra B's this evening.

BTW, my "twice normal size" prostate immediately shrank when I began a Zinc supplement only a week or so ago. It doesn't take 2 minutes to take a leak anymore!

I'm 52 and this is my first buttoscopy, after several meetings with Dr. Goo-finger.

Mark

Edited to add - Woohoo! Dr Goo-finger says seven to ten more years before we meet again! It seems my dietary supplements (coffee and bourbon) have done fine job keeping the pipes clear. Resting pulse of 46 - nurses had to recalibrate the vitals display so the alarm would quit going off!

Edited by redial

• 2 weeks later...

We just admitted a 60 year-old man to our service with an obstructing colon cancer and mets to his liver. He put off his colonoscopy despite having a strong family history of colon cancer.

edit: increased font size

Edited by CSEMARTIN

We admitted a 60 year-old man with obstructing colon cancer. He put off his colonoscopy despite having a strong family history of colon cancer.

Just wondering (I've had one twice - not too bad):

1. what exactly is a "Premalignant tumor"? What would happen if you just left it alone?

2. what is the incidence of colon cancer in old men?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does family history increase likelihood? Does it decrease the suggested age of 1st scope?

What about preventive measures? (Foods to eat to scrub your insides?)

Go Here and Download the .pdf at the top of the page, which will tell you more than you ever wanted to know. The suggested general guidelines for folks with a family history of colon cancer start on page 22 -- beware that everyone's risk is different, and that it would be best to speak with your physician about your particular situation.....

• 3 weeks later...

The bowel preps are better. You don't have to drink a gallon of crap anymore. If your kidneys are working ok, you drink two small bottles of fluid

IIRC, it was a lot more than 2 bottles of magnesium citrate, and that was 2 years ago. It wasn't that bad, but don't wander far from the oval office once you start it! :sick:

On second thought, maybe it was 2 bottles, but they weren't that small. And my kidneys are fine.

I had to have a lower GI about 25 years ago. Now that was intrusive. Barium enema with a balloon to hold it in, for about 45 minutes.

No possibility I was ever gonna turn gay after that.

Edited by FWSixgunner

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OP

Thank you for starting this thread - I'm 54 and am overdue for my first screening but will be making an appointment today thanks to your cyber kick in the pants!

BTW - sent you a PM asking some questions about the procedure in my particular case.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just finished my exam. The prep is nowhere near as bad as I was lead to believe. Yeah it was gross. But it's not as bad as the flu or food poisoning because you don't feel sick or have nausea at the same time.

On the other hand, I didn't feel that well rested when I woke up.

There is no reason you should put this off. Just do it.