• 6 months later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, g.willikers said:

My doctors have nagged me to have a colonoscopy for years.

But recently they have let it drop, saying past a certain age it's no longer recommended.

Not sure what that means.

Uh, oh, I get it.

Ack.

Don't buy any green banana's....

• 1 month later...

Today was the day. Yesterday was the prep, mixed in 64 oz of Gatorade wasn't bad, but.... no food and above all no coffee for 24 hours was sheer horror. Worst migraine I remember. The procedure itself is the easy part. Watched the whole procedure live on the screen including removal of 1 tiny polyp. I should be good for 5 or 10 years depending on pathology. After 4 cups of coffee and 3 sandwiches my headache is gone now. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Turned 50 in January, and had it the next week. My dad had some polyps removed, so my Dr. wouldn't let it slide. Prep was awful. 4L of "lemon-lime" something salty after 2 Dulcolax. Jello was all I could have for 24 hrs. Invest in the lotion toilet paper, trust me. Good to go for 5 yrs. My sleep was very restful, I know why Michael Jackson like Propofol so much now. I even had a dream.

• 1 month later...

Just had my third (and hopefully last) cololoscopy.    :ph34r:

Not as bad as the first two - getting used to it, I guess.

Found two polyps, both of which were benign.    :wub:

Planning on getting NO MORE of those - not sure I see the sense at

73 years old.    :) 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I started this thread over eleven years ago, and I still find it amazing how much positive impact this thread has had for a lot of people here.  I greatly appreciate the feedback and kind words shared with me over the years.  

Every so often I will receive a private message asking for advice or to just share an experience.  I do enjoy hearing from people that appreciate my help.  I'll never ignore you, and I'll always do my best to help someone out.

Because I have been victimized so many times by malpractice attorneys,  I will no longer post medical advice on this forum.  I am happy help people privately though.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to me.  This forum has been wonderful to me in many ways, and I am happy to pay it forward in any way that I can.

Thank you,

Chris Martin, MD

13 hours ago, CSEMARTIN said:

I started this thread over eleven years ago, and I still find it amazing how much positive impact this thread has had for a lot of people here.  I greatly appreciate the feedback and kind words shared with me over the years.  

Every so often I will receive a private message asking for advice or to just share an experience.  I do enjoy hearing from people that appreciate my help.  I'll never ignore you, and I'll always do my best to help someone out.

Because I have been victimized so many times by malpractice attorneys,  I will no longer post medical advice on this forum.  I am happy help people privately though.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to me.  This forum has been wonderful to me in many ways, and I am happy to pay it forward in any way that I can.

Thank you,

Chris Martin, MD

Thanks Doc!

• 4 months later...

FWIW, they now have a home-test for the low-risk people where you basically crap in a box and ship that to a lab to be tested.  Comes back negative, you can skip the scope for a while-- know there is a fairly large false-positive rate though.

18 hours ago, shred said:

FWIW, they now have a home-test for the low-risk people where you basically crap in a box and ship that to a lab to be tested.  Comes back negative, you can skip the scope for a while-- know there is a fairly large false-positive rate though.

Here is a link to more information: https://www.cologuardtest.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9qj8l__u4wIVS77ACh3sHwAoEAAYASAAEgLI5_D_BwE

The false positive issue isn't a big deal as long as you follow up with a colonoscopy.  The problem I have with this test are the false negatives.  What should you do if your cologuard test is negative?  Is it really negative?

The gold standard is a colonoscopy.  I don't trust the at home test.