Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are you 50 years old?

I can register in senior class now.

Two years ago I told the doc I was ready for a scope. He turned me down; not enough risk factors, AND he was "gun shy." Another local Doc's patient suffered a perforated bowel and died following the procedure. I'll hit him up again next visit.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can register in senior class now.

Two years ago I told the doc I was ready for a scope. He turned me down; not enough risk factors, AND he was "gun shy." Another local Doc's patient suffered a perforated bowel and died following the procedure. I'll hit him up again next visit.

That's crazy.. I didn't have any risk factors either.. waiting 2 years... not sure if i would still be here or not.

Round_Gun_Shooter

Your Corgis are beautiful! What's up with not renewing IDPA?

Here are my 2 coach pototoes. Pound puppies, born in the Palm Springs shelter, litter of 8, parents belonged to homeless people who brought the mom in when she was pregnant. Never stepped on grass. Black face is the girl, Shepard Chow mix, speckled is the boy, Austrailin Red Merle, brother/sister. LIfe is good

image36963.jpg

10 years old, and still shredding...

By the way, I am 64 years old. My plan is not to get better, but just older and outlast everyone else...

Edited by 9x45

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Started my Prep (2 liters Trylite) last night. Really not as bad as I've read some make it out to be. Began drinking it well-chilled using a couple of flexible drinking straws but switched to chugging it straight from the bottle after the 1st 8oz. Once the stuff started working, I elected to just sit on the throne as my eruptions were coming with little advance warning. In one hour I start in on the last 2 liters with two Dulcolax tablets at the end.

Procedure is scheduled for Noon - wish me luck as I'm 55 so am five years overdue for my first.

Edited by NorCal707

I'm done, relaxing at home and hopefully good for another five years. They got me hooked up with an IV Saline Drip and the Anesthesiologist goes, "I'm gonna give you a little something to make the time pass quicker" - the next thing I knew the Nurse was waking me up saying All Done. All I know is whoever invented Propofol, I'd like to buy them a Beer or two!

No signs of Cancer and only had one Polyp removed that looked Benign to the Doc but I won't know for sure until later next week. Doc said I do have a mild case of Diverticulitis but that it's pretty common and that increasing the amount of Fiber in my diet should take care of it.

If you've never had a Colonoscopy, it's really no big deal. On the other hand, developing Colon Cancer because you haven't been getting checked is a big deal...

GRIM2A.gif

Edited by NorCal707

One question: do any of u Drs. believe the new studies to avoid PSA tests? They mean everyone, every age. They say it's killing people with treatment not needed.

My grandfather died st 74. Not from the prostate. But the f*#king radiation.

One question: do any of u Drs. believe the new studies to avoid PSA tests? They mean everyone, every age. They say it's killing people with treatment not needed.

My grandfather died st 74. Not from the prostate. But the f*#king radiation.

I'm not a doctor, but, my urologist still believes in PSA tests. I agree with him, as my PSA was rising at a rapid rate. I had a biopsy shortly after starting with him, as a baseline, since my dad had prostate cancer. At that time I was good, but, as I said my PSA levels were rising rapidly with 6 month tests. The second biopsy indicated cancer, and the samples indicated a more aggressive make up. I had my prostate removed robotically at 58, my dad wasn't diagnosed until he was 74.

Treating for cancer going only by PSA seems strange, a biopsy is the only way to be sure. The big problem is the thinking that prostate cancer is slow growing, some is, some is not.

PSA is just an indicator that something is going on with the prostate - it could just be an infection, inflamation, cancer, etc. The only way to know for certain is with a biopsy.

In early 2014 my PSA was up (5). By June it went to 7 and I had a biopsy which came back as cancer (I was 55 at the time). While not advanced (I was 3+3) the rapid increase in PSA made me not want to wait around.

There are a lot of options, especially if caught early. I went with HDR Brachytherapy (4 sessions of radiation). It really wasn't that bad (although not pleasant) and recovery wasn't that bad either.

I had an IRS audit one time, and it kinda FELT like what a colonoscopy prolly feels like. I'm not sure those desk-bound pencil-pushing demon spawn of MiMi Bobeck & Darth Vader would be able to differentiate polyps from polyESTER, though.

Just had my second one today. Once again my VA was GREAT ! All the news about the poor service just has not been the case at my VA Hospital here in Dayton. Start the clock ticking, 10 more years until the next one.

If you're squeamish about it.. suck it up and don't put it off.

Colorectal cancer screening saves lives. If you're 50 years old or older,
talk to your doctor about getting screened. Among cancers that affect both men and women,
colorectal cancer (cancer of the colon or rectum) is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States.
I've been fairly healthy my whole life, nothing at all remarkable, doctor visits were few and far between. I had no symptoms of any kind.
  • After the 2012 SMM3G, I went in to get a physical, the company I worked for was having a health checkup push and paid for it 100%. Doctor said it was time for a colonoscopy, I was 53.
  • Got that scheduled, yes, the prep was a bitch
  • During the procedure, doctor stopped giving me the happy drugs. He wanted me to be able to comprehend what he had to tell me. Without a biopsy, Doctor told me he was 99% sure I had cancer, and to make an immediate appointment. Like others on the board unfortunately know, it takes some time to process that news. On the ride home my wife and I were talking.. did he REALLY just say that?
  • Couple days later, met with the Oncologist, biopsy results were back.. no question.
  • Scheduled surgery. Biopsy from surgery showed 10 of 12 lymph nodes affected. I had Stage 3 N2 cancer
  • After a couple weeks of healing, started a 12 round course of chemo every other week. It's not as glamouris as it is on TV.
  • After 5 hours in the chair, I wore a pump to infuse more F5U for 2 more days.
  • 1st thing the chemo did before the usual nausea, etc.. made me hypersensitive to cold. It started immediately, washing my hands leaving the room the first day hurt. And it's funny to me now, but hypersensitivity to cold is a bad thing in Montana.
  • By the end of the chemo infusions, I'd lost major sensitivity in my legs (hip down) and hands. 3+ years later it's gotten a little better, but it's still numb from the knees down, and my hands are about the same.
In the last 4 years I've had to prep 3 times, and I get to do it again this summer. There are a few different preps available, some that are not as bad as others. Talk it over with your doctor for options.
I'm posting this as a precautionary tale.. maybe if I'd gone in at 50, I could have avoided a whole lot of this.
Dave

• 3 weeks later...