Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

UPS and FedEX service

jspruance

I order things from the forums and different suppliers from on line.

I really hate to have anything sent to me via UPS especially. UPS regular ground takes about 8 total days from the west coast to the east coast.

I am currently waiting on an order from Cal. sent on Monday that according to their tracking will not arrive before this Monday. (sometimes you just don't get it straight how you want your merch. sent)

Items sent USPS Priority mail will generally reach me from that destination in two to three business days. Regular first class mail will arrive in three to five days.

Both at less cost than than UPS regular ground service.

Once in a while I find a supplier who refuses to use anyone but UPS. At that time I spend my money elsewhere.

I hope a rant is permitted in the "What I hate topic"

JFS

I order things from the forums and different suppliers from on line.

I really hate to have anything sent to me via UPS especially. UPS regular ground takes about 8 total days from the west coast to the east coast.

I am currently waiting on an order from Cal. sent on Monday that according to their tracking will not arrive before this Monday. (sometimes you just don't get it straight how you want your merch. sent)

Items sent USPS Priority mail will generally reach me from that destination in two to three business days. Regular first class mail will arrive in three to five days.

Both at less cost than than UPS regular ground service.

Once in a while I find a supplier who refuses to use anyone but UPS. At that time I spend my money elsewhere.

I hope a rant is permitted in the "What I hate topic"

JFS

Sounds like you need to switch over to FedEx. I never had any problems with their service.

It does seem certain services are faster and more economical to certain areas of the country. This variance was the reason I added a drop down box to my order forms that allow customers to choose their carrier and priority when they place their order; though I haven't added Fedex as an option there yet.

Sold a gun here in the enos forum to another gentlman, he requested it to be sent ups/cod. We worked out how much the gun/shipping/codand evrything would be and I shipped it on dec17. It was supposed to go overnight, well ups didnt ship it that night it took 2 days. Ups had to refund my credit card for the shipping. It arrives at the guys ffl 2 days later and he give them the cod check. I can see they have the check on the tracker. They inform me it will be up to 10 business days for me to recieve my check, ok I start the count. They mailed my check on dec 26 and it has still not arrived. The guy had to go to his bank and cancell the check and then issue a new check which he mailed to me on teusday and I recieved it thursday. Why would ups use the usps to deliver a document when they are in the shipping business, why would they even trust anyonne else? When you call and complain they dont care, they act as if it is important but they dont care. The company I work for used to use fedex for all of its shipping and then decided that ups was a better (cheaper) deal. Well it hasnt worked out to well as they loose shippments and send them to the wrong state and just dont shipp them. UPS is a sorry excuse for a shipping company. If I have any choice at all I use anyone else. If there is someone on the forum that works for ups maybe you can get the management of your company to really care about what happens, because Brown hasnt done anything for me.

FedEx has been the bane of my existence since we moved into our new house 4 years ago. They NEVER would deliver a package to our house because they said they could find it (can't see the house from the road but UPS never has issues). I have basically avoided buying anything from a seller that used FedEx unless there was no other choice and then would have it go to the office. Each time I did have something delivered I tried calling FedEx with no success; I'd always end up getting a package a couple days after delivery from one of my neighbors. This week I ordered a couple new cell phones and FedEx was the only option. I called and whined the a CSR like a small child about how UPS, DHL, and even friggin FedEx Home Delivery never had any problems; just the Express drivers. Shortly after that conversation a dispatcher type from the local distro center called me on my cell to get even more exact directions. Now I had talked to the local distro center before and still not received packages at my door. Now finally after 4 years I actually received a package from FedEx at my door and was assured by the driver that the directions were "in the computer" so there shouldn't be any more issues (not holding my breath).

UPS regular ground takes about 8 total days from the west coast to the east coast.

I feel your pain. I ordered an item from another forum and the shipper asked how I wanted it shipped. I told him UPS. He sent me a tracking number and I went on the UPS website to track the package and the delivery date said it was going to be about two weeks. I went back several times on the website to check the tracking on the package and the package did move for over three days. For me UPS has been hit or miss. I agree that USPS priority mail is the way to go.

One more horror story about UPS. A friend of mine shipped a rifle to Kansas City. The package went throught Oklahoma and there it was lost. UPS could not find it. They looked for the package for several days and they were ready to run the paperwork to start a claim to pay for the rifle. After about two weeks the rifle appeared in Kansas City.

There is some kind of loophole, where FedEx and UPS use the USPS to deliver packages becasue they have too and it's cheaper for them to do so if it's not on the normal or an out of the way route. I think this pisses off the USPS so don't be surprised if your overnight or next-day delivery takes long.

I think a lot of it depends on the driver, too. UPS guy has never been a problem, but the damned FedEx'er leaves our stuff out by the road all the time, instead of bringing it back our 1/2 mile long lane. Good and bad with both, I guess.

I've had trouble with both UPS and FedEx. I won't use DHL for anything. I called once asking about shipping a firearm. I got a real snide, "you mean like a gun? We don't do that." With FedEx and UPS it's a crap shoot what will be left at the door and what won't be. I've had over a dozen Glocks left on the front door step and just last week the UPS man was nice enough to leave my new Sabre Defence XR-16 Machine gun on the porch in the box. The drivers that I love are the ones that don't even knock. I've been sitting in the office and watch them pull up, come up to the door, drop the package and leave. No knock, no doorbell.

Every time I see a UPS complaint I write the same story. I had TWO SV pistols shiped from Benny UPS and left on my porch. Two days later a driver came by for a signature. My honesty got the best of me but "what pistols?" felt like a good idea.

I hate the way they add all these extra fees on the shipper. If a package doesnt get delivered now they charge the shipper for the return. I had one returned that cost me 35.00 both ways. It was a large order so I ate it. The worst is address corrections. Mistype one letter in the name, I can understand the numbers, and they hit you for 6.00 for ground and 10-12.00 for an air package. and most the time the correction was made in their system automatically.

Postal service is generally ok. But not as competent or professional as UPS or Fed Ex.

Now in their defense.

I have not had much experience with Fed-Ex except they dont hesitate to tack on those extra fees. One charge on my bill today the driver didnt even know what it was. I have to call in.

I have shipped probably 50,000 packages or more with UPS. I bet there have been less than 25 claims in all those packages. I would say 1 out of 500 may have a problem being misrouted. Most problems occur from a bad address, either us with a typo or the customers typo. I have to say they do a great job. Now experiences with individual drivers will vary. Regular drivers who are accountable to the people on their route tend to do a great job. Its the fill in or temps that screw up.

As far as I am concerned they all have a problem with customer service. I have preferred accounts and separate phone numbers to get things done that are not available to the occasional shipper. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but overall I still have to give UPS the edge in the total package. If Fedex comes out with some new software for shipping(they say its coming) and does something to unify the ground and express they will give UPS a run but for now UPS has them beat. USmail has an advantage in shipping to rural residential addresses. Urban and commercial addresses are best served by UPS or Fed Ex.

They will also ship handguns between dealers cheaper but it just doesnt seem as secure. So for now we offer all 3, with UPS being the default.

It's hard to believe any carrier can claim they can't deliver your package because they can't find your house. I have a Tom Tom 1 GPS that will find and draw a map to any business or residence in the US if I just type in the address.

I Ordered some bullets from powder valley in mid December, Fed Ex lost them and I had to do all the sleuth work to find out they were lost. They were re-shipped USPS the second week of this month and were at my door in four days. I work right behind the FedEx ground building and the package was scanned, according to the tracking service, into that building and was to be delivered literally NEXT DOOR! :blink: For some reason that package was never to be found again. Must be someone that shoots and delivers FedEX packages in North Palm Springs. I hope hi likes the bullets as much as I do.

JZ

I lost my corporate security badge and requested another from Corp Sec who are in California. They shipped it DHL. My address is on the main street, but my door is on the side street (I live on the corner). The main road side of the house is a solid split rail fence. Rather than come around the corner and delivering to the door, the DHL driver tossed the package over the fence into the yard and left it there. Luckily I found it, but not after I had sent several emails to Corp Sec about it not being delivered. Now UPS, FedEx, and USPS have no problem delivering to the door on the side street where the mailbox and driveway is.

I refuse to use UPS ever again. Tried to ship a HG back to the manu., like I've done before. Uppity attitudes at UPS said...no, we don't do that anymore...and we won't do it if we can help it...Had to talk to the State rep fm UPS to get an answer...He did not agree w/the new policy but couldn't help...Course it woulda helped if we were actually advised of a policy change...Nevertheless, UPS is now DOWN...

Fed-Ex shipped it w/a smile. But this costs about $35-40 each time. Not many alternatives out there for us. USPS has never been a problem for regular packages, nor has getting stuff from UPS.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the experience of finding out UPS stores apparently can refuse to ship firearms, even though UPS will ship them. I was told it was because their insurance wouldn't cover it. Instead I had to drive an hour out of my way. to the nearest UPS shipping facility.

Adam

I had the experience of finding out UPS stores apparently can refuse to ship firearms, even though UPS will ship them.

UPS stores are just pack and send operations owned by UPS and do not enjoy the rights of a recognized "common carrier" - so they generally take a pass on all regulated items.

"Common carrier" status is what allows UPS to accept machine guns, silencers, guns, and narcotics being shipped in lawful commerce without having the specific paperwork to legally possess such items.

FYI,

UPS Stores are not owned or operated by UPS itself, they are a franchised location. Also, if you go to ups.com and search "firearms", their complete firearms policy is the first hit, the only way you can ship firearms is through the Customer Center or a daily pick-up account.

I had the experience of finding out UPS stores apparently can refuse to ship firearms, even though UPS will ship them. I was told it was because their insurance wouldn't cover it. Instead I had to drive an hour out of my way. to the nearest UPS shipping facility.

Adam

Heck, UPS stores won't even ship ammo....