Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hot 10mm with hard-cast lead...

Craigar45

I am going to be loading up some ammo for a friend doing some R&D on a new 10mm gun he is producing. We havent decided on bullet weights, but we do know we want to experiment with some hard cast lead at about 220 power factor. I am curious if anyone here has produced a load similar to this and what powders they used... This is NOT for competition, so I am not too concerned with smoke and recoil. As I said, these are test loads for a gun he is developing. I believe we will be using Oregon Trail bullets. That is a pretty fast moving lead bullet- probably want to stay away from hotter burning powders, yes?

Suggestions?

C

From my Pinload days.....with 180grain lead FP.....Start at 8.0grains of Winchester Action Pistol, or what is now Repackaged as Ramshot "Silhouette" It will do anything and everything you need it to.......Arguably the best powder for 10mm out there......IMHO... :rolleyes:;)

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

Good call Doug!! Haven't loaded Sil in 10mm but have used a bunch of it in Open gun loads. The biggest plus is it will actually meter decently where 800X is a lot like gravel in a powder measure, and it will be a good bit cleaner burning.

Thanks for the feedback guys; turns out there are only 4 or 5 powders with published loads in the 225 p/f range... I know I am not strictly limited to published loads, but I think we will be starting with powders that can do it by the book. Any further suggestions?

C

The 200gr load in Hodgdon's Longshot data should be a good one at 234pf. I'm sure you could figure something out for 220 grain bullets. Approach it carefully as all of the Loudshot loads I've tried have been a lot faster than their data.

200 GR. HDY FMJ 200 Longshot .400" 1.260" 7.0 1034 23,900 PSI 8.2 1172 35,000 PSI