Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coldest you've ever shot?

Yeah, but it's a dry cold.

HAHAHA - that's awesome - I'm gonna have to use that one tomorrow :D

Yep. My understanding is human beings can determine differences in temperature down to -40. Below that it doesn't matter, but your spit cracks when it hits the sidewalk.

I've seen a few days in the -20's & -30's, and one day at -55 (before wind chill calc's). Below 10, things get cold. Around -10, it's damn cold. Below -20, it's just rediculous. Somewhere around -30, your first breath outside hurts your lungs it's so cold and dense.

You people are crazy!!!! I'd have to run antifreeze in my blood. Wait, alcohol has a lower freezing point than water, hmmmm. (now while shooting of course) I thought shooting when it was 20 degrees was cold enough.

HAVE FUN?

Tomorrow looks kind of chilly here also

post-400-1200720068.jpg

:rolleyes:

Chuck,

You may have warmer weather there, but you also have more pollution....hahaha.

This should be fun this morning!!!! I hope my open gun runs.

<Light> amounts of full synthetic motor oil for lube is the order for the day.

Just ride your motorcycle to the match.

It'll feel warm when you get off it. :goof:

I know that you northern guys are acclimated to the cold, but that just seems insane.

When the temps get down into single digits, its just way too cold to do anything outside.

The coldest match I've shot was in the low 20's and that is about my limit.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

I think it was 28 at the first Florida Open and that is the coldest I have ever shot in.

I know that won't impress any of you northern guys but 28 with the Florida wind and humidity is COLD!

Trust me, I grew up in Minneapolis, and delivered newspapers on a 6 mile paper route on foot in -35 Fahrenheit weather. The coldest I have ever been was at an USPSA match at South River Gun Club in Covington, GA southeast of Atlanta. It we about 20-25 and bitterly damp, a bone chilling, stiff fingered day. It was truly miserable.

I am not sure why, but southern cold feels colder that northern cold. And yes, I spent the first 17 years of my life in NE Ohio, so I know cold and SNOW, DEEP SNOW!!!

I don't think I dislike snow/cold, I KNOW I don't like it!!!

I think it was 28 at the first Florida Open and that is the coldest I have ever shot in.

I know that won't impress any of you northern guys but 28 with the Florida wind and humidity is COLD!

Trust me, I grew up in Minneapolis, and delivered newspapers on a 6 mile paper route on foot in -35 Fahrenheit weather. The coldest I have ever been was at an USPSA match at South River Gun Club in Covington, GA southeast of Atlanta. It we about 20-25 and bitterly damp, a bone chilling, stiff fingered day. It was truly miserable.

I think I remember that match. Brutal!

We have set up a match in NJ at -4. A couple of us drove out to the range on match day. Stood there looking at each other with a "Are we really this crazy?" look. well in the next half hour while we were thinking about going home,20 more people showed up. We actually ended up with 29 morons (Myself included) shooting a 5 stage match that day.

If you build it, they will come!

Take a look at pics from Green Mountain practical. They apparently get out show blowers and clear pathways to the targets!

Jim

Like my coach of 17 years told me,

"People don't live in cold climates by choice, they are victims of circumstance." Gardener Dickinson, circa 1985

Well the circumstances for me were that after 5 years in Western Montana, a year & 1/2 at Sault Saint Marie, Michigan, a year & 1/2 in Caribou, Maine, a year in Neah Bay, Washington; the year & 1/2 in Jacksonville, Florida damn near killed me. I found that I can always put on enough clothes to keep warm but I could never take off enough to get cool. There were also 2 trips to SE A were 75% acohol in the blood stream was not enough of a cooling factor for the heat. :cheers:

I am not sure why, but southern cold feels colder that northern cold. And yes, I spent the first 17 years of my life in NE Ohio, so I know cold and SNOW, DEEP SNOW!!!

Ahhh-HA.

A closet Buckeye fan. I knew it. All this time...repressing the Buckeyes. For what...? Snow and youth???

:lol::lol::lol:

Here in Texas 30 is cold, but we shoot anyway.

The coldest time I ever shot.

Korea 1989, M16A2 qualification. Someplace up by the DMZ. -10

It warmed up that day up to -10, the ride to the range in the back of a 5 Ton, fun. (not!)

It was all about equipment, Extreme cold sleeping bag, Poly Pad, wile in the truck and

Thank God for the person that invented the bear suit, Gortex and Polypro. And the article-15 :0),,,, inflatable boots, I wore them that day.

Just one reason I now live it Texas!

Jim M Ammo

Ahhh-HA.

A closet Buckeye fan. I knew it. All this time...repressing the Buckeyes. For what...? Snow and youth???

Flex

I am ALL GATOR!!!!

I could make it worse for ya, but I won't

Just got back from the range.

Just a few notes for those interested...

1) It was around -8 when we started shooting. It was sunny with little wind (so at least we had that going for us--which is nice)

2) My open gun didn't want to work on the second stage. Note to self: Full synthetic mobile one motor oil isn't the lube to use. The slide was sluggish and it then eventually locked up on me. First stage was great though. After I was able to get the gun unlocked, I kept the pistol in a rug and warmed it up and then it was peachy fine. Lesson learned.

3) It sure was fun to try not to fall on the ice. Gives a person a new perspective on trying to stay balanced while walking and shooting at targets on ice.

4) It warmed up nicely to about -3 by the time we finished the match. It was balmy actually.

Hopefully Matt P. will post a picture of "the gang" from today's match.

Ahhh-HA.

Flex

I am ALL GATOR!!!!

I could make it worse for ya, but I won't

post-473-1200776526.jpg

Flex,

I really tried not to post this, but you kinda brought it up.

I just can't help myself. :devil:

dj

I couldn't make it bigger. The bottom line reads "Because Kent State doesn't really prepare you for the SEC"

Please forgive the snow drift....I mean topic drift :lol:

Edited by dajarrel

We're looking at 18-19 degrees for tomorrow morning, a tad chilly here in Georgia. Ain't going to do any shooting!

Coldest place I ever lived was in Lansing, Michigan as a young child. Friggen snow was piled halfway up the house for what seemed like 8-9 months out of the year!