Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bridgeport Mills

CSEMARTIN

You FXXckers are a bad influence on me!!! But then again, I've never had friends that weren't.

Aircooled6racer, I'll do some research into that "M" head.

Doctor Doctor, The call schedule just came out. I've got ten days of vacation coming, and I can't wait- this trip is going to be AWESOME!! I'll be in town the 15th. If Gary is having a match, I'll be there- unless I can't get out of here on friday. I need to get in some trigger time before S&W.

My list of things to get in order:

Mill

1800rpm buffer

80 gal 2 stage compressor

Blast cabinet

Lathe

Tig welder

Matt, have you seen the Leeson sander? It takes sanding belts made by Dupont and looks like a serpentine belt on a car. I saw one in a guys shop and it did a really nice job at finishing metal.

CSEMARTIN,

What text books do you have for school? There is a machine shop at our factory with a Bridgeport mill in it and noone uses it at all. I have taught myself the basics on the lathe but I would really like to learn what all those end mills, fly cutters and other tools can really do.

Unfortunately around here noone has these types of courses as this area is almost all HRM as far as schooling goes. ( Hotel/Resturaunt Management)

I am a slow starter as I like safety and my boss says to just get in there and go for it!. I taught myself how to Mig, tig, arc and stick weld well enough to do it as a side job for extra cash building high-end custom doors and modern style fencing/gates. I do most of my own hardened-steel poppers and falling plate type targets. But that mill is calling me and I'm tired of just staring at all of that hardware knowing that I could do something with it.

PS We also have a plasma cutter, a metal band saw that cuts tubing fairly well, an abrasive wheel saw, or hot saw, so what I'm interested in is a book on machining with that mill!

Edited by JimmyZip

What text books do you have for school?

The book is called Machine Tool Practices. The Author is Kibbe. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-0...+tool+practices (second book down on the list).

I'm not sure I would recommend the book to anyone. I'm sure the guys here know which books are good and hopefully they'll chime in.

There is a DVD course you can rent from smartflix.com. It's put out by AGI and the machinist is Darrel Holland. I'm at work now, but if you're interested, I can get the information to you. I am planning to rent it. But since it's something like 14 hours long, I just haven't had time to devote to it. I have heard good things about it though.

• 2 months later...

I'm done with my course work. Now I get to work on my mill project. Luckily, my instructor is a gun enthusiast so when I suggested I do a 1911 build, he was all for it.

Here is some of the work I've done with a Bridgeport.

Just think how fast you could take out an apendix with that mill :lol:

I imagine I could lop off a finger in no time at all.

Yes be careful, you'd be surprised what you could lop off, Ive seen fingers gone, arms broke, shirts ripped off, ive even seen a guy get his nutsack ripped open on a manual lathe(cross-slide powerfeed handle), long story, just never reach over and grab a rag off the tailstock while your power feeding, them handles can be turning rather quickly!...LOL

Here is a photo of what I run everynight at work.

mill.jpg