Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W preformance center .38 super 8-shot

rugerp89ipsc

I have no idea. This is the first PC revolver I have ever even handled and seeing as I don't shoot wheel guns, I have no base for what's needed. I was curious what made them PC verus regular.

At this point, I am not sure I am going to hold on to it, seeing as I am shooting a match about once every 5-6 weeks, but I like this revolver a lot and was curious about what it needed to be competition ready.

My 8x.38 Super had a reasonably smooth action but I lightened it a bit by shortening the strain screw. Other than that I never fiddled with the action. Oh, I did have a grooved trigger installed. I hate those MIM triggers. Check your gun with cast bullets. I'm curious if they shoot straight or sideways. Mine keyholes at close range with cast bullets and I suspect it's because the cylinder throats are undersize. I should not have to deal with this on an expensive Performance Center gun and it's one of the reasons I have never bought another S&W since then. There are times I still think I should sell it, but then it would make a nice carry gun with the barrel cut back to 4" and the cylinder throats opened up.

Dave Sinko

you have a PC Revolver? :bow::)

Cool

You have to do a trigger job on a NEW PC REVOLVER? :unsure:

Just what does Performance in Performance Center mean? :blink:

Not that much to me. Love my Smiths. Like the company. But, I have had 3 new and one used PC 627s and all needed work. Some more than others. Details upon request.

Politically correct

Please pardon my sarcasm. You have everything you need to start shooting in this division. Shoot some matches, talk to some other revolver shooters, and hang out here. PM on the way.

Bob

thanks for all the info guys.

I have a 686 I love to shoot, but it has the 8 3/8inch barrel, and besides not being able to find a holster to fit it (I was going to shoot a steel match with it and the price was way too good), it is a little large for anything practical I think.

I normally shoot limited 40, so maybe a 610 would be a better fit for me. But I have dreams of getting an open gun...

Thanks again for the responses and pms.

Check your gun with cast bullets. I'm curious if they shoot straight or sideways.

Dave Sinko

I don't have the dies to load yet, right now I have a deal to trade with a friend who is not set up to load 40 and all her bullets are jacketed. But if she does use some precision or something, I will keep you up to date. I have not shot this revolver yet and the person I got it from shot less than 500rnds.

Hello,

I have had 3 or 4 S&W PC revolvers --- two of them were used and already had work done to them. The other two -- one is still NIB {646} and the other had a "decent" DA pull and a great SA pull -- so MAYBE you will have to have a mild trigger job and I also had the cyld. holes champered , the Houge rubber grip sanded to give more clearance for reloading , and a Pinnacle oversize cyld. release button and a FO front sight.

Shoot safe --- DaBird

um yeah, that sounded kinda like greek to me...

However, I will do some searches on

"cyld. holes champered"

"Pinnacle oversize cyld"

And see if I can figure out what those are. The trigger pull seems good compared with my 686 and colt trooper, but I would guess that doesn't say much. My limited gun breaks clean at 2lbs and I was unsure if that was feasable with revolvers or not...

:D

Talk to any good revolver shooter you know at a match...He can show what chamfering the cylinder means...makes for much easier reloading and is pretty much a must-have on a competition gun...Doesn't take long to do. All you're doing is opening up the top of the holes in the cylinder to allow loaded ammo to slip in FASTER. Faster is good.

Talk to any good revolver shooter you know at a match...He can show what chamfering the cylinder means...makes for much easier reloading and is pretty much a must-have on a competition gun...Doesn't take long to do. All you're doing is opening up the top of the holes in the cylinder to allow loaded ammo to slip in FASTER. Faster is good.

I thought the cylinder on the 38 super (627-4) were a bitch to chamfer?

I need to do mine - but have not tried yet.

Edited by pmd

The new PC guns are pretty smooth from the factory but the double action usualy runs @ 12 lbs. Order a Miculek spring kit from Brownells if you can install it your self you can easily lower your double action pull to 7 1/2 lbs for an investment of less than $25.00. Don,t worry about the single action It will be @ 1.5 lbs but you propbably will never use it in a match.

You will want to use round nose bullets to speed up reloading, I would not chamfer the cylinder until you decide it is a keeper.

If you want to sell it send me a PM

Good shooting

Thanks, I sold the pistol and decided I would be better off going with a 625 or a 610 instead. I am leaning towards the 610 because I have always had dreams of a 40 revolver and SS to go with my Dawson 40, but the cost may not add up. It seems like a 625 can be had for 600 or so, so I would just need to get stuff set up for reloading and then I would be in the green.

My hours aren't letting me shoot matches right now, so I thought I would just explore a world I have always been interested in. The only match I can shoot right now is a steel match, so I thought, 5 plates, 6 bullets, motivation not to miss.....

Thanks for the help. I will keep posting once I figure out what I am doing...