Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22lr conversions for AR-15

Malak

Looking to get a dedicated 22lr upper receiver for my AR, cause DAMN 223 has gone up.

Does anyone own one that runs well? or can make a suggestion on one that will?

thanks in advance for the suggestions..

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ciener is the best conversion device IMHO. It drops right in in place of your regular bolt carrier assembly. You can get 30 round skinny mags or 27 round full-profile mags from Black Dog Machine at better prices than the original Ciener mags. Mine runs like a raped ape on el cheapo WalMart Federal bulk pack ammo. They are accurate enough for close-range practice, but not as accurate as with a dedicated .22 barrel because of the freebore and the fast rifling twist (you really want something >1:12 for .22LR to be really accurate). If accuracy is important to you, a handful of companies offer dedicated .22 uppers built around modified Ciener kits and real .22LR barrels... Model 1 Sales springs to mind. On important point: if you have a muzzle brake on the gun, it will fill with lead very quickly (inside 1000 rounds) and be the devil to clean out. I only run my Ciener kit in a rifle with an A2 flash hider. The barrel should also be thoroughly cleaned before you revert to .223 ammo.

HTH

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Malak, it was nice meeting you and Ty at Tiger valley last weekend and congrats on you win.

I use one of these http://www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com/ , it is set up similar to my 3-gun rifle, he will make them however you want and they are a dedicated upper so just put it on your lower and go. My McCormik trigger won't fire consistantly with the walmart federals so I just bought a cheap lower just for the 22. It is fun and a very usefull training tool.

Sheldon

You just hold on about 2 weeks and there will a really nice new toy to play with.

Tim,

No secrets! Do tell.

In the meantime, I love my CZ (not CZ-USA) V-22 upper. When I get home, I'll be ordering some of the new Black Dog 25 round mags for it!

Rich

Hello: How about a Ruger 10/22 with all the goodies? Put the same scope that is on the AR and you are ready to go. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

I use a 10-22 that's in an MPI thumbhole stock. The feel is similar to my AR, the scope is about the same height above the bore (see-through rings) and have reliable 30 round mags. The only thing is the mags are released like an M14 not an AR. Using the 1/2 size targets from Charley Myers, it's good, fun, inexpensive practice.

I like my Ciener kit also but never run lead. I use CCI Stingers and have not had a problem

I never run "bare" lead either... always plated (or whatever the golden color is on those bullets). They still lead up the comp. I would try Stingers, but they are a bit pricey.

Here is the BEST .22 AR type firearm. This stock is made by Nordic Components and takes the standard 10-22. It feels EXACTLY like an AR and the scope mount rail is EXACTLY the same as a flat top. I know it looks a bit higher, but trust me it is the same! Now you can have it all!! The reliability of a 10-22, cheap magazines that hold 25, 30, 50, and it takes ANY stock and Free float tube that fits an AR. Tim Finaly let me post it! I have shot about 1000 round through it so far and am ABSOLUTELY SOLD!!!! Here art a couple of Pics.

post-1176-1201207590.jpg

post-1176-1201207614.jpg

Here is the BEST .22 AR type firearm. This stock is made by Nordic Components and takes the standard 10-22. It feels EXACTLY like an AR and the scope mount rail is EXACTLY the same as a flat top. I know it looks a bit higher, but trust me it is the same! Now you can have it all!! The reliability of a 10-22, cheap magazines that hold 25, 30, 50, and it takes ANY stock and Free float tube that fits an AR. Tim Finaly let me post it! I have shot about 1000 round through it so far and am ABSOLUTELY SOLD!!!! Here art a couple of Pics.

Link ?