Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W lock

Daniele

I don't know as it was missing when I got LITTLE FFL's 686+ back from having a trigger job done. :rolleyes:

Baloney. Every single bit of the lock mechanism was right there in a little plastic bag in the box where it belongs.

On a purely competition/fun gun, I take the entire lock out. It's easy to do.

I don't know as it was missing when I got LITTLE FFL's 686+ back from having a trigger job done. :rolleyes:

Baloney. Every single bit of the lock mechanism was right there in a little plastic bag in the box where it belongs.

On a purely competition/fun gun, I take the entire lock out. It's easy to do.

I don't think it's even possible to only take "part" of it out and not run the risk of loose remaining components staying in place/out of the way.

I was thinking of putting a machined pin in the hole and tell everybody it was a slide racker for those "from the table" starts. ;)

I don't think it's even possible to only take "part" of it out and not run the risk of loose remaining components staying in place/out of the way.

I tend to agree. Plenty of people just remove the "flag" piece, and leave the rest of the mechanism in place, but I have noticed that the little spring tends to move forward and start rubbing on the hammer, etc., so I don't really trust leaving part of it in place.

One option, I suppose, would be to leave all the parts in place, but dremel off the actual engagement flag that blocks the hammer. I know some people have gone that route. But personally, I think the best play is either leave the lock in completely, or take it out completely. If you're cutting the hammer way down, like my Carmonized units, the lock parts have to come out.

I take out the hammer blocks also...............Strip'm of the stuff they dont need to light-off a round

Me too. As long as the rebound slide and hammer foot aren't butchered, the gun will be drop-safe even without the redundant hammer block in there.

Thanks to everyone for the valuable info.

By the way: returning to the range at the second day of Italian National 2007 a fellow shooter who keyed the lock at the end of the first day, discovered the key was still at his hotel room: PANIC!!

In 2 minutes another shooter took the wheelgun apart and unlocked the action, but it was a valuable experience!

I keep a S&W key on my keyring just in case. And none of my carry or competition guns even has a lock installed! You never know when somebody might need one, though.

I do something similar, but my extra key fits handcuffs... :surprise:

I keep a S&W key on my keyring just in case. And none of my carry or competition guns even has a lock installed! You never know when somebody might need one, though.

Is that the one you have secreted in a body cavity at all times, Walt?

Is that the one you have secreted in a body cavity at all times, Walt?

Does it show? :excl:

I hope mine never gets locked because I didn't even get a key with the gun when I bought it. Just out of curiousity, is the S&W lock anything like the Remington lock? Remington designed their lock so that you could activate it without the key. I had a friend that started a stage with his shotgun and realized that TSA had thoughtfully locked his shotgun for him when they checked it. Ooops.

I hope mine never gets locked because I didn't even get a key with the gun when I bought it. Just out of curiousity, is the S&W lock anything like the Remington lock? Remington designed their lock so that you could activate it without the key. I had a friend that started a stage with his shotgun and realized that TSA had thoughtfully locked his shotgun for him when they checked it. Ooops.

See post #11 above.