Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popper Calibration

Crusher

When a popper(s) is visible from multiple locations and distances at what location (position) does the RM need to test the popper calibration?

Logic would indicate that the calibration be done from the location where the competitor who challanges the popper(s) calibration was engaged from, but may the calibration test be preformed form any of its engagement locations?

Edited by Crusher

When a popper(s) is visible from multiple locations and distances at what location (position) does the RM need to test the popper calibration?

Logic would indicate that the calibration be done from the location where the competitor who challanges the popper(s) calibration was engaged from, but may the calibration test be preformed form any of its engagement locations?

Here's the rule from Appendix C-1

5. For initial calibration, each popper must be set to fall when hit within the

calibration zone with a single shot fired from a designated handgun using

the calibration ammunition. The shot must be fired from the shooting location

in the course of fire furthest from the popper being calibrated.

Calibration zones are indicated in the diagrams in Appendix B4.

For initial calibration,

Thanks, but that part I understand.

Now for example, a competitor engages a popper from it closest point, fails to knock down the popper and calls for a calibration test, at which location should the popper be re-tested for calibration?

Although the rules do not specify, I would imagine it is furthest from the popper as in it's initial calibration.

For initial calibration,

Thanks, but that part I understand.

Now for example, a competitor engages a popper from it closest point, fails to knock down the popper and calls for a calibration test, at which location should the popper be re-tested for calibration?

Although the rules do not specify, I would imagine it is furthest from the popper as in it's initial calibration.

Actually, it is stated:

7. In the absence of any interference, or problem with a target mechanism, a

calibration officer must conduct a calibration test of the subject popper

(when required under 6c above), from as near as possible to the point from

where the competitor shot the popper.

Later,

Chuck

I know this question was intended for handgun but for interest's sake and in particular for MG/3G shooters please note that the shotgun rules are different. For SG you calibrate from the nearest and best position available to the competitor irrespective of where the competitor actually shot the target from. It may be worth remembering the difference.

SG is written this way to reflect that part of the skill of SG is knowing your choke/cartridge/pattern configuration and it is for the competitor to decide whether to take the risk of a more advantageous shot from a greater distance. The C of F requirement is merely that the target can be succesfully shot from somewhere in the permitted area available to the competitor.