Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have a Dillon cartridge counter?

Called Dillon the other day and asked for another cartridge counter because I don't see it in their website. Guy said "we haven't made those in years."

What was wrong with the cartridge counter that they would stop making them? I like mine a while lot! I lose count of primer boxes and such. I rely on my counter. It's served me well for many years.

Anyone know where I can find another for my new, second 550B?

Anyone make an aftermarket counter?

Thanks for the help.

Drifter, I use a bale counter to count my cartridges. I bought it from the local John Deere store. I mounted the clicker to my workbench and used a piece of wire looped around the bottom of the ram on my 650 to move the clicker arm. Mine was about $12-14 but is nearly identical to the one in the picture. Has lasted 20-30K rounds so far. Hope this helps.

http://www.fordtractorpart.com/bale-counte...-5228-prd0.html

Man, I gave up trying to count rounds a long time ago. As a guide, I just go by the number of primer tubes I've gone thru when reloading. I also gave up using those plastic ammo boxes that stack each round nice and neat. Now I just dump the loaded ammo into the bullet boxes after I empty them.

I never could get my Dillon ammo counter to work reliably anyway...

-Cuz.

Don't have them handy, but I can shoot a couple this evening when I get back home, and will be posting them by tomorrow.

In any case, the setup is extremely easy.

Pick your favourite step conter, one of the millions that you can strap to your waistband and will count steps: they sense an up/down motion and increment one unit with every cycle.

BRN0019.jpg

Then, attach it to the press on any place that will move up and down.

The Shell plate carrier might be an option, the unused primers tray might be another, you could even stick it to the return cam of the powder dispender.

I didn't come up with this idea all by myself, credits go to forum member shred, who posted pics of a similar thing sometime ago (here). I just used more modern technology ... :lol:

Edited by Skywalker

Ok, here you are the pics about my cartridge counter.

post-1869-1201675222.jpg post-1869-1201675235.jpg post-1869-1201675248.jpg

I found the powder check assembly was the best place for me: right in front of my eyes, can easily trip the step counter with its up/down motion and abrupt stops.

Edited by Skywalker

Do you find it is reasonably accurate?

The only flaw, so far, is that if I am a bit overenthusiastic at the top of the downstroke (read push too hard on the lever), the counter will increment by two instead of one single step.

This is my version with the pedometer: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=393191

I soldered wires and a microswitch since nothing on the 1050 moved enough to trigger it reliably.

Since then the battery has died and I haven't bothered to replace it. I count rounds by throwing empty primer labels into the ammo bin every time I dump a new box it the loader.

• 2 months later...