Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Ambi Safeties? Opinion.

want2race

The SVI safetys are the nicest safetys I have ever seen, bar none. They are the only safetys that are machined from billet, and not cast. This should make them stronger and more consistent than anything else on the market. They are also a breeze to install.

Get a set and you will NOT be disappointed.

Leo

I've put them in Springfields, Kimbers, Colts, STI, Dan Wesson, Essex, and probably more that I can't think of right off the top of my head. They need to be fitted, but they are also easier to fit than anything else out there. I buy 4 or 5 sets at a time too, they are just superb and well worth twice what every other safety out there costs. Ed Browns are the only others that I use though I do have some Wilson and CMC back up sets for some of my guns.

FWIW, I am also one of the damned lefties!

SVI ambi safeties will not work in all 1911's. I found this out the hard way. I was told to try Ed Brown.

What gun don't they fit?

They don't fit my springfield loaded 1911, or my STI Trubore.

I guess that you mean that they do not fit without being "fitted", which is pretty much true for most safeties. While everything needs to be "fitted" to some degree, the SVI's require a lot less work than anything else that I have tried. Like HSMITH, I have never found a gun that they would not fit and have fitted them to STI's.

FWIW, I am also one of the damned lefties!

SVI ambi safeties will not work in all 1911's. I found this out the hard way. I was told to try Ed Brown.

What gun don't they fit?

They don't fit my springfield loaded 1911, or my STI Trubore.

I have them on all my sti's and I have a caspian SS that they work on. They have to be fitted to whatever gun you install them on they are not drop in and work parts. If 1911/2011 style guns have 1 constant its that everything has to be fitted as nothing justs drops in.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a lefty. I have broken 2 STI and 3 SVI ambi's always the right side around the pin that is going through....I now use STI and Swenson and don't break them anymore....

I just run the ambi very very light on the spring resistance so it's very easy to move, therefore not putting lots of stress around that pin, the 1911/2011 is obviously a righthand design. I sure would like to be abnormal some day... :devil: