Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap or Free PDF Program?

revchuck

Folks - I've got to scan documents and send them via email as part of my job. My work (US Army) email account permits 100 megs of storage including the Sent folder, and scanning and saving stuff as .jpg files uses about 1.2 megs/page. Any recommendations on a good pdf program for free or cheap? I'd be using my Lexmark all-in-one to do the scanning.

Thanks!

OpenOffice has the option to export spreadsheets as .pdf files. I use it for match results to be uploaded to the club website. I'm not sure about export options for the word processor portion.

++++++++1

it does export documents as PDF if you press the button on the top.

even better it is free and I don't have to rely on MS

OpenOffice has the option to export spreadsheets as .pdf files. I use it for match results to be uploaded to the club website. I'm not sure about export options for the word processor portion.

Please remember that he is asking about how to turn scanned paper documents into PDFs...

Revchuck, what kind of Lexmark all-in-one do you have? Check out http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1239602 for a Lexmark that can automatically turn scanned material into a PDF.

Revchuck, what kind of Lexmark all-in-one do you have?
I've got a $50 version (X2500) from Wal-Mart. The software has a theoretical ability to create PDFs, but they're 6+ megs/page (!) for what I get 1.2 megs with a .jpg file. This is my "away-from-home" printer, so I don't want to go crazy with new hardware. ;)

I've got a $50 version (X2500) from Wal-Mart. The software has a theoretical ability to create PDFs, but they're 6+ megs/page (!) for what I get 1.2 megs with a .jpg file. This is my "away-from-home" printer, so I don't want to go crazy with new hardware. ;)

It sounds like a tweak of the settings might get you back into business. Have you explored the settings thoroughly? Did you actually get a copy of Adobe Acrobat with your all-in-one? If so open up a scanned file with it, then go to Document, reduce file size.

It sounds like a tweak of the settings might get you back into business. Have you explored the settings thoroughly? Did you actually get a copy of Adobe Acrobat with your all-in-one? If so open up a scanned file with it, then go to Document, reduce file size.

I have Adobe Reader on my laptop, but AFAIK no Adobe in the printer software.

I asked because the scanners I've seen have bundled Acrobat in. Time to read the manual? :goof:

Seriously, good luck with that and I would take a look at open office as suggested. It has been a long time since I played with it and I'm sure it is getting better all the time.