Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for 40 MAJOR

JD40

I've used Clays,TG, and Power Pistol in 40.. I only use clays for the utra light loads(the cleanest power I've ever used).

I used Power Pistol for a long time until I made side by side loads of PP and TG (cronoed same day side by side till I found

a power factor match). The TG had such a significant impact on felt recoil that everyone who was there that day now loads

all 40. with TG. I would have never believed it without trying it myself...

I have not tried ant VV powders but I may as the TG is the most dirty I 've used. Not so bad on the inside of the gun as

much as residue all over the muzzle...Oh ya, Power Pistol also has a huge flash at low light condition if your intrested...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is new. My Dad picked up 8pounds of it off a prize table and was asking me about it, and I had no clue about it. Did some checking on the hogdon's website and he called out and talked to them. They don't have alot of load data yet on it, so I was wondering if anyone else had tried it yet.

Not sure how it would work in making major in comp guns since it is advertised as using lower pressure, so it is a slower burning powder, but in 40s&w it might make a nice soft load.

here is what they have for load data:

Cartridge: 40 S&W

Load Type: Pistol

Starting Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maximum Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Order BW Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure

135 GR. NOS JHP 135 Longshot .400" 1.125" 10.5 1367 28,100 PSI 12.0 1480 32,400 PSI

155 GR. HDY XTP 155 Longshot .400" 1.125" 8.5 1244 29,800 PSI 10.0 1329 32,300 PSI

165 GR. SIE JHP 165 Longshot .400" 1.125" 7.3 1139 29,600 PSI 7.8 1185 33,400 PSI

180 GR. HDY XTP 180 Longshot .400" 1.125" 6.5 1009 25,000 PSI 8.0 1159 32,300 PSI

200 GR. HDY XTP 200 Longshot .400" 1.125" 5.0 836 23,900 PSI 6.0 954 32,500 PSI

NEVER EXCEED MAXIMUM LOADS

For what most of us are doing, Longshot is too slow. If you load Longshot to typical OAL for an S_I you're also going to have to increase those powder charges. The more powder you use, the more jet effect you get out the end of the barrel....that equals more recoil and more muzzle flip. Also, since it's slower and you're using more of it, the burn takes longer which increases the recoil impulse dwell time....again more felt recoil.

Longshot would be fine for ammo duplicating factory stuff, but it won't get you the soft shooting, longer OAL stuff most USPSA shooters are looking for. It's a pretty good powder for Open guns in 38 Super/Supercomp. Any powder I can think of that's good in an Open gun is going to be bad for a Limited/Lim-10/Production gun.

Longshot has been out at least 5 years, probably 6 or 7....

It works great with 135 grain bullets, real well with 155's and OK with heavier bullets. It is going to be mega dirty at just major load levels, it also won't be all that consistent at the low pressures.

It'll work, just won't be what I would choose.

When i began reloading, I started with Universal Clays. When I ran them over the chrono, the velocities weren't very consistent Next I tried TG. I used TG for quite a while. As others have said, it smokes with molys, leaves a lot of soot, runs hot and is temp sensitive. I just started using 320. I've only shot two local matches with; but it's been great so far

I made up some 8.5 grains LS/155 grain Rainiers for my .40 M&P, just for grins. I used an indoor match to check out my new carry ammo (Federal Tactical Bonded 180 grain) and ran two boxes through the gun, then used the LS/Rainier load. I shot through one mag of the Federal, reloaded with my handloads and continued and BOY was there a difference! The RO almost stopped me because he thought I had ammo problems - I went from no muzzle flash to flamethrower. :D Loud, too. It shot and functioned well, though.

I made up some 8.5 grains LS/155 grain Rainiers for my .40 M&P, just for grins. I used an indoor match to check out my new carry ammo (Federal Tactical Bonded 180 grain) and ran two boxes through the gun, then used the LS/Rainier load. I shot through one mag of the Federal, reloaded with my handloads and continued and BOY was there a difference! The RO almost stopped me because he thought I had ammo problems - I went from no muzzle flash to flamethrower. :D Loud, too. It shot and functioned well, though.

'splains why the open shooters nick-named Longshot: "LoudShot"

Seems way too slow and not very useful compared to better/faster/lower recoil powders.

I've been shooting American Select for a while now. I've loaded with 180 and 185gr molys and with jhp's. It feels a bit softer than n320, I think because it is a flake powder, but it is a little bit dirtier. Smoke isn't bad and the price is right, less than $100 for 8lbs. Give it a try.

I use VV 320 with a 185 Precision or a 185 lead flat nose. Watching videos of myself, there is almost "O" muzzle movement when firing single, double, or anything else. The Chronograph shows a 175 PF. I dare not change.

I will play with E-3 this spring. A friend is using it and says it is almost the same as 320, but cleaner and cheaper.

We'll see. Buddy

I see nobody has mentioned SR7625. I use 5.1 grs. with a 180 gr. plated bullet at 1.135" in the Glock 35 and am completely satisfied with it. It meters very well and appears to burn clean. I use it because I already have it for loading buckshot and slugs. I usually shoot Production but loaded up some Major for those times I need to shoot Limited. I haven't used this load very extensively but it seems to work well.

Dave Sinko

Another interesting powder is 800X which according to the manual produces some of the lowest pressures. I loaded some individual rounds for the chrono and got nice results but was dismayed to find that it does NOT meter worth a damn in my 550, which threw dangerously inconsistent charges. So that was the end of that. I'll still go with 7625 because it's so good in the shotgun too. Nothing like killing two birds with one stone.

Dave Sinko

I found that N320 for .40 major PF was:

Very clean.

Very consistent in metering (with drops good to the nearest 0.1 grain until the last partial charge in the hopper).

Very consistent in velocity (with SD's for ten shot strings typically in the middle single digits).

Very moderate in recoil.

Very accurate with 180 gr Montana Gold HP's.

Mildly temperature sensitive, in that during a ten shot string starting with a cold barrel, I'd typically see a 10 to 20 fps rise in velocity (2 to 3 PF points).

Very expensive.

I put up with the last two for the sake of the first five. Now that I'm shooting production, I've been working on minor PF loads for 9mm. For a while, I was shooting minor PF out of my G35, and used Clays for that, with acceptable accuracy and SD. Like the others, Clays is one of the cleanest powders I've used. But, as noted, there are risks - I did blow up one forty cal pistol with using Clays under a short loaded 200 grain bullet.

I found that N320 for .40 major PF was:

Very clean.

Very consistent in metering (with drops good to the nearest 0.1 grain until the last partial charge in the hopper).

Very consistent in velocity (with SD's for ten shot strings typically in the middle single digits).

Very moderate in recoil.

Very accurate with 180 gr Montana Gold HP's.

Mildly temperature sensitive, in that during a ten shot string starting with a cold barrel, I'd typically see a 10 to 20 fps rise in velocity (2 to 3 PF points).

Very expensive.

I put up with the last two for the sake of the first five. Now that I'm shooting production, I've been working on minor PF loads for 9mm. For a while, I was shooting minor PF out of my G35, and used Clays for that, with acceptable accuracy and SD. Like the others, Clays is one of the cleanest powders I've used. But, as noted, there are risks - I did blow up one forty cal pistol with using Clays under a short loaded 200 grain bullet.

How short and what was your powder charge? 5 or 6" pistol?

I did blow up one forty cal pistol with using Clays under a short loaded 200 grain bullet.

I was first starting out, and used the then popular 40 S&W load for the old major PF of 175: 4.2 Clays over a 200 grainer. What I didn't know was that the load was long at 1.200". What I test loaded was at the SAAMI maximum OAL of 1.135". I shot three rounds out of my 5" Taurus PT101 (ramped barrel w/o full case support), and blew up on the fourth. Inspection of the first three cases showed severe bulging near the case head.

Loaded out to 1.200, I shot the load for a while afterwards w/o any more blowups (using my replacement gun , a 2011 pattern gun with a fully supported chamber). Of all the loads I've tried it shot the softest, but I always had flattened primers. With the drop in PF to 165, I moved, like many others, to 180's and higher velocities that were a bit harder to reach using Clays. I switched to N320 for the reasons I outlined above, to which I should have added that I never had any pressure sign with VV.

I'll stick with Clays before I waste my stock of N320 in match ammo. One other vitally important characteristic of this powder is its low muzzle flash, especially when used in a revolver. For that reason alone it's worth its weight in gold.

Dave Sinko

I did blow up one forty cal pistol with using Clays under a short loaded 200 grain bullet.

I was first starting out, and used the then popular 40 S&W load for the old major PF of 175: 4.2 Clays over a 200 grainer. What I didn't know was that the load was long at 1.200". What I test loaded was at the SAAMI maximum OAL of 1.135". I shot three rounds out of my 5" Taurus PT101 (ramped barrel w/o full case support), and blew up on the fourth. Inspection of the first three cases showed severe bulging near the case head.

Loaded out to 1.200, I shot the load for a while afterwards w/o any more blowups (using my replacement gun , a 2011 pattern gun with a fully supported chamber). Of all the loads I've tried it shot the softest, but I always had flattened primers. With the drop in PF to 165, I moved, like many others, to 180's and higher velocities that were a bit harder to reach using Clays. I switched to N320 for the reasons I outlined above, to which I should have added that I never had any pressure sign with VV.

Stupid question but what makes a fully supported chamber?

Hey thanks for the links. So I assume the failure would be in the area just above where the ramp should be right?

But what was mentioned was a "ramped" barrel "not" fully supported and this is where I get mixed up!!