Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's see your 6" recipies

zhunter

OK, several people have PM'd me for info on 6" load data. I primarily shoot SS, but thought it time to had a dedicated 6" thread, so here goes.

I took some .40 loads out this morning to chrono before my SS practice.

Temperature was 69 :devil: degrees at 15 feet above sea level

This one was for my kids to shoot out of a Glock 22 that I no longer have.

MG JHP 180 grain

CCI primers

Titegroup 3.5

OAL 1.133"

Ave 778 fps

PF 140

Nice soft load for steel or kids, very accurate.

MG JHP 180 grain

Winchester Primers

VV320 4.35 grains

OAL 1.205"

Avg 820 fps

PH 147.700

Another soft load that is the starting point for me working up to 169 PF for matches.

I hope this helps, and that this thread will inspire others drinking the koolaid to add their loading data.

Edited by zhunter

I run 4.7 Clays at 1.235 with either Zero or Montana Gold 180 JHP, Winchester small rifle primers, averages 960 for a 173 power factor in the cold and goes up to about 176 in really hot weather.

My barrel is really slow, no faster than a 5" gun and slower than some 5" guns. Every other one I have built is faster than mine.

nowlin barrel

1.170 long

4.7 grains of Titegroup

speer nickel cases - once fired

wspm primers

165 grain Zero Hollow Point

average vel 1035

This load is extreamly uniform over the chrono and very accurate.

joe

6" Benny Hill Fat Free

180 gr bear creek

1.145" OAL

mixed brass

WSP

3.8 gr of Ramshot Competition

165.5 pf at 2007 Golden Bullet

I think I might bump it up a bit B)

Thanks for that load nheiny,

I've got another year supply of 180 grain Masterblasters that I'll use this season. I've loaded up some over 4.1 to 4.2 grains of Competition at 1.200". I was thinking it should get me to major once I get my new 6" from JPL.

Some info from a shooter at a local match today.

4.3gr Titegroup under a 185gr Precision "black bullet" OAL 1.190 makes 169PF from his Fat Free 6" Benny Hill pistol.

He said it is a little smokey in darker environments, but it doesn't pose a problem with shooting outdoors.

I may try this combination myself since I have a box of those Precision bullets.

Finally, some info to share:

Nowlin 6" barrel, shot at an indoor range at 63 degrees.

200gr M gold JFP with 4.5gr Clays makes 168.8 PF.

180gr M gold JHP with 4.7gr Clays makes 167.04 PF.

I worked up several other Clays loads and I noted that IN MY BARREL a tenth of a grain of Clays averages out to 16-17fps. This was true for 180 and 200 grain loads.

I started with 4.2gr Clays with a 200 gr bullet and that gave me 159.2 PF.

For 180gr bullets, I started with 4.38gr Clays and it gave me 157.8 PF.

4.7gr Clays with the same 180gr bullet gave me 160.9 PF.

Interesting data. It should be noted though that I started low and worked my way up. I think my Nowlin is a bit slower than others out there.

Wow, that is even slower than my barrel. It is 15pf slower than mine and almost 20 slower than Darryl's barrel. Nothing you can do about it though other than add some powder and keep going.

I'd check it outside to be sure though, that seems REALLY slow......

Jay, Clays is the softest powder I have ever shot in 40. It is reasonably consistent, plenty accurate, and VERY clean. It will blow your gun UP if you screw up loading it or have bullet setback, it WILL spike pressure dramatically if something goes wrong. There is very little room for error. If you are willing to walk that line I haven't found a better powder.

Wow, that is even slower than my barrel. It is 15pf slower than mine and almost 20 slower than Darryl's barrel. Nothing you can do about it though other than add some powder and keep going.

I'd check it outside to be sure though, that seems REALLY slow......

Funny you mention this...'kuz that's exactly what I am going to do in about 2 hours. Howard, please do me a favor and make the Schumann barrel you are putting in my pistol a FAST barrel. HA!! As if you have a say in the matter.

I don't know what a fast barrel is like. My site tracker is slower, just like my current 6".

I have a HSMITH 6in sti. I worked up a bunch of loads for his gun and mine. We both went with Clays. Howard uses 180 jhp bullets and I use 200 fmj Zero's . The key with using Clays is OVL must be 1.20 or a little longer. NO plated bullets. EVER!! Lead is ok with proper crimp. I have loaded with Clays for 40 for over 12 years and 45 for over 17 years. Clean and very soft . Slight temp sensitive. 4.2 of Clays with a 200 fmj makes 177 power factor out of my gun and 170 out of Howards.

4.0 Clays 200 fmj . 168 pf.

4.2 Clays 200 fmj . 177 pf

4.5 clays 180jhp. 166 pf

4.7 Clays 180jhp 179 pf

4.9 Clays 165jhp 170 pf

4.7 N320 180jhp 161 pf

5.0 N320 180jhp 172 pf

Work your loads up carefully. Start low and work it up. These loads will not work loading to factory 40 length.( i/e any small frame 40's.) The above loads uses win. small rifle primers. The only reason I use rifle primers is I also load .223 and 38 super.

I have tried WST,N320, Universal Clays, Bullseye,231, tightgroup.

Darryl

Edited by Squishy

Shifting from open to limited, I was forced to learn not only a different gun but a totally different timing. So initially I have to admit that I preferred the 180gr loads. But after getting used to my Benny gun, I really prefer the 165gr loads.

While I hear a lot of people talk about soft loads and other descriptions about their loads - I will never forget something Benny told me when he made me shift to a load that I initially didn't like: when the buzzer goes off......do you ever hear the gun or feel the load? No! The only thing you notice is the speed in which the front sight/dot returns to target. So now, I don't care if the load slaps me upside the head, calls me a bad name, makes by inbox fill with spam......just so long as it has great timing!

And for that reason, I would recommend that folks really take a hard look at shooting 165gr bullets in their 6 inch guns. I recently shot a "second gun" match with 180gr bullets after shooting my 165gr bullets......trigger jam city because the gun was too slow for me.

I have a "slow" Barsto barrel in my primary 6" gun - so I have to load 5.3gr of VN320 with a 165gr loaded out to 1.180 (I like short loads) and gives 1,025 - 1,030 fps. With a normal Schuemann barrel, 5.1gr of VN320 produces the same results.

Shifting from open to limited, I was forced to learn not only a different gun but a totally different timing. So initially I have to admit that I preferred the 180gr loads. But after getting used to my Benny gun, I really prefer the 165gr loads.

While I hear a lot of people talk about soft loads and other descriptions about their loads - I will never forget something Benny told me when he made me shift to a load that I initially didn't like: when the buzzer goes off......do you ever hear the gun or feel the load? No! The only thing you notice is the speed in which the front sight/dot returns to target. So now, I don't care if the load slaps me upside the head, calls me a bad name, makes by inbox fill with spam......just so long as it has great timing!

And for that reason, I would recommend that folks really take a hard look at shooting 165gr bullets in their 6 inch guns. I recently shot a "second gun" match with 180gr bullets after shooting my 165gr bullets......trigger jam city because the gun was too slow for me.

I have a "slow" Barsto barrel in my primary 6" gun - so I have to load 5.3gr of VN320 with a 165gr loaded out to 1.180 (I like short loads) and gives 1,025 - 1,030 fps. With a normal Schuemann barrel, 5.1gr of VN320 produces the same results.

I was using 4.7 grains of titegroup and a 165 grain zero hollow point in the 6inch unit and it was awsome. Switched to the 180 grain and the gun did not feel as fast. With the 165 grainers the gun was always waiting for me.

• 4 weeks later...
In my 6" fat free I run 170gn Precision black bullets over 4.4gn of Titegroup, and bump it up to 4.7gn with 165gn Precision Delta jacketed for major loads.

Ken

Please load up some of that Solo 1000 and try it out. Inquiring minds want to know.

I shot a 32 round COF on Sunday, reached down to lock my Ghost and raised a huge blister on my pointer when I touched my barrel. A gun shooting TG gets HOT in 14 seconds! :surprise:

Come up here and shoot Merlin, there would have been 2 or 3 huddled around that warm blaster trying to scavenge some of the heat!!

TG did the same for me, incredibly hot gun in just a magazine. I never did figure out why some many like it......

• 3 weeks later...

OK. Got the new 6" blaster from JPL. The load I chronoed yesterday is a 180gr Masterblaster's bullet over 4.15 grain Ramshot Competition loaded at 1.200". It chronoed in the 980 fps range for a PF of 176. This is out of a 6" KKM barrel. This is higher than I expected, so further testing will be done. I read here somewhere that Competition is inversely temperature sensitive, so as it gets warmer, the velocity may come down a bit.

Compare this to my 5" AET barrel: Same bullet, powder, and length. The powder charge was 4.45 grains and it chronoed at 167 last August.