Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical reload in IDPA Classifier Course of Fire

Jimlakeside

After reading and rereading the rules regarding tactical reloads in stage 3 of the classifier couse, I am more confused than ever. Pg. 40 of the rule book states: "Failure to do the reload specified by the CoF will result in a three (3) second procedural penalty fo an FTDR."

The Classifier specificially calls for a "TacticalLoad."

Then, also on page 41, the rules state: "Tactical Reloads and Reloads with Retention are interchangeable."

Qustion: When shooting stage 3 of the classifier do you draw a spare magazine prior to injection of the partial magazine from the gun as the definition of Relaod Tactical requires or can you drop the magazine first and properly stwo the magazine before drawing the relaod magazine?

Thanks for the clarification.

The Classifier specificially calls for a "TacticalLoad."

Then, also on page 41, the rules state: "Tactical Reloads and Reloads with Retention are interchangeable."

They are in deed interchangable. The classifier calls for a "tac load" so either a "tac load" or "reload w/ retention" are acceptable. I have completely stopped doing tac loads. rwr's are much faster every time (only once does your week hand have to go to your waist vs 2x w/ a tac load).

-rvb

Either one.FWIW if you are dexterious enough to do the tac load on the second string it would be faster,the gun would be reloaded behind cover and you stow the other mag on the way to the barrel.BTW this belongs in the IDPA section

Edited by et45

Either one.FWIW if you are dexterious enough to do the tac load on the second string it would be faster,the gun would be reloaded behind cover and you stow the other mag on the way to the barrel.BTW this belongs in the IDPA section

Just food for thought since everyone has what works best for them, but I found it a) much slower/harder to stow the mag on the move which b ) causes my movement to the barrel to be slower. The minor delay in stuffing the mag in the pocket and grabbing the new mag makes the "big picture" much faster/smoother, even considering the 1/4 second longer spent behind cover.

ymmv.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I wondered about that "tac-load on String 2 is faster than RWR because you can be putting the mag away while moving toward the barrel thing," myself. So I ran myself through Stage 3, String 2 numerous times using tac-load and RWR, and measured the split between the last shot at the barricade and the first shot at the barrel with both techniques. I found I was consistently around half a second faster using the tac-load over RWR when everything went right.

The problem, when actually shooting the classifier, is that everything didn't always go right. I found that when I had to do one type of reload on String 1, then a different one on String 2 immediately thereafter, I'd frequently screw up. I'd hesitate during the load on String 2, because I couldn't remember which type of reload I was supposed to be doing.

I found the necessity of stowing the mag while moving forward with the tac-load made me feel rushed at the barrel. I was focused on putting away the mag instead of having my head in the game for what I was going to do when I got to the barrel.

Also, with the RWR, since I'd already put the mag away at the barricade, I was able to move forward with both hands already on the gun instead of having to reacquire my grip at the last instant when I'm almost all the way to the barrel with a tac-load.

Finally I decide to just RWR on both strings. Simplicity is a virtue. ;)

Duane,

I actually found I'm 0.5-1s faster w/ rwr, even w/ the "extra time" behind cover. I can move faster and more aggressively to the barrel, my weak hand is free and ready to get a good grip vs fumbling w/ a mag, my focus can be on my mark and the target vs where I'm stowing the mag, etc. My rwr times are only about 0.5 slower than a speed reload. Old mag goes in front pants pocket and the hand is right there for the new mag. only one bulk movement of the mag hand. tl's have two movements to the belt and take a lot longer. And pockets are lot easier to hit when you're static...

As you pointed out, consistency is king. Some people bank on getting the old mag stowed while moving to the barrel, hitting their mark on the ground, and presenting the gun to the target. It's a lot to do in just a few steps. Some "hope" for a smooth TL on the move for a good time... Mostly I see a lot of people either a) moving slowly to the barrel to have time to stow the mag or B ) getting to the barrel and pausing while they finish stowing the mag and re-index their gun on the target.

Of course, that you put it on a timer and found the opposite results I did is why I put in the caveat that everyone has what's best for them..... but you definitely hit on good points why raw "best" times don't necessarily make the best plan. Basically I think we came to the same conclusions! B)

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Basically I think we came to the same conclusions!

Yep. Like you, I also noticed a tendency to move much more aggressively forward with the RWR. Any time you find yourself moving more slowly, giving yourself time to execute a particular "time saving" technique, that's what we call a "clue" that might not actually be the best plan for you. :lol: Not to say there aren't people in the world who can do a tac-load on String 2 and make it work, I'm just apparently not one of them.