Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Been thinking about this for a while now and have decided to go ahead and acquire one. To be used for hogs, targets, truck gun (retired the 760 Whelen). Thinking of short barrel, 16 or 18", but am dumb about twist and what would be better, complete rifle from someone or separate top and bottom...Not going to reload initially so 55 gr is as heavy as I would shoot...any advantage to getting a 223 and a separate top for 7.62x39 or 6.8 and which one or the two would be better?

Also, what kind and power of scope is recommended thinking of ACOG.

Thanks

Tloop

Just my two cents... a flat-top M4 clone from any of the majors is a pretty good starting point. I have a Bushmaster with a 16" bbl and their "mini-Y" comp, and it is a great little rifle, for not a lot of money.

I stuck a railmount Cmore on top, co-witnessed with the irons as a backup and it is easily "enough sight" to get out to 250 yard gongs, even with my bad eyes. Beyond that, there are all kinds of opinions (check out the threads on "which scope for 3-gun). My personal choice is the Meopta, ymmv.

B

Truck Gun?

Go with the folding stock - which means a piston upper. 16 inch 1:9 twist

is the most common out there.

ARFCOM has more posers than answers, but you should be able to wade through

the B.S. without too much difficulty. Fixed 4X works pretty darn good.

Bring the subject up at the next match and I think you'll be surprised how many of your

fellow shooters believe in the EBR.

One more thing TL, welcome to the fold :ph34r:

Truck Gun?

Go with the folding stock - which means a piston upper. 16 inch 1:9 twist

is the most common out there.

ARFCOM has more posers than answers, but you should be able to wade through

the B.S. without too much difficulty. Fixed 4X works pretty darn good.

Bring the subject up at the next match and I think you'll be surprised how many of your

fellow shooters believe in the EBR.

One more thing TL, welcome to the fold :ph34r:

Can't I get a gas piston gun with short bbl? and shouldn't it be BBR (Brotherhod of Black Rifles) not sure what EBR really is...

bgary: Why Meopta???

Edited by tightloop

Hi David,

With an AR-15 that you're planning to run different uppers on, I would really pay attention when building / buying the lower. Get a good trigger (I have and use both JP and Timney, either are great) make sure the grip fits you (I use a Magpul MAID) and get a stock that feels comfortable. With a properly outfitted lower when you change uppers, the balance may change but the rifle still fits you and the trigger is predictable.

Need to save some space? Get a collapsible stock. There's no difference in performance between a carbine (collapsible) and a rifle recoil systems, the trick is finding a stock that works for you. As far as the "piston" uppers go, IMHO they're a solution looking for a problem if you shoot semi-auto only. A "free float tube" is a must. The difference in accuracy can be dramatic.

Keep in mind that AR owners are as-bad or worse than 1911 owners when it comes to voicing their opinions and prejeduces! Bottom line; you should be able to do what you want to do for $1200-$1500 (lower, 2-uppers), less glass.

Ed

I would go with a fairly lightweight 18" barrel as it is a nice compromise between the easy handling characteristics of the 16 and the extra velocity of the 20". I would favor a 1-8 or 1-9 twist barrel with either a mid-length or rifle length gas system.

If you intend to use it for 3 gun I second (maybe third or fourth by now :-) ) the choice of the Meopta Kdot for your optic.

By all means get more than one upper as finances allow the AR is truly the swiss army rifle.

If you want it to run like the proverbial swiss watch, or a custom 1911, then call JP and tell them what you want to use it for, as well as what's important to you (light rifle, heavy rifle, ability to mount irons, in which case you may want a way to mount a front sight as far out on the front of the barrel as possible etc.). Follow their recommendations, give them a credit card. It'll hurt a little, but you won't regret it....

bgary: Why Meopta???

Dialed down, it is a true 1x, with an illuminated reticle, so it acts like a [big] red-dot sight.

Dialed up, it is a decent 4x scope, which does a decent job when you need to reach out a ways

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...0&hl=meopta

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...8&hl=meopta

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...2&hl=meopta