Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For those that do a lot of travel then the new slim-line is going to be a huge hit. Apparently these types of laptop are a huge market in Asia (particularly Japan). I would not go for one myself, probably stick with a regular MacBook but I'm willing to bet that sales of this thing are going to be huge.

The iPod Touch is also going to get better and better, they just added Email and .pdf support. It's almost like a tiny computer now..

The new VW bug isn't for everybody, but it sells like hotcakes. This will too. I'm not ready to jump ship just yet, but I've been waiting for solid-state drive technology for over a decade now and I'm ecstatically happy to see it in a mass-market computer (that actually works).

Use the right device for the job at hand. You can get it w/ a 64GB solid state drive, too - no moving parts, lower heat. If you're traveling a lot, or have no need for a desktop replacement in your laptop, this thing is pretty darn sweet. I don't have a current need, but I could see having one if I had the extra $$$ to just burn... ;)

You can get it w/ a 64GB solid state drive

Base price $1799, $3099 with the solid state drive.

Thin is not new, it is new for Apple. The Air is a bit thinner than the competition, which is mostly Sony.

I worked on a solid-state drive project, a LONG time ago. "Bubble memory". Seems like it was 140K bytes. Floppies were 8". I digress....

Lee

Solid state drives won't hit cost-parity per bit with rotating rust for several years yet. They may get into the low-end market in the next year or two (the sizes won't be comparable, but if say the low-end spinning laptop HD is ~45 GB and a 32GB SSD cost about the same, a lot of people would pick the 32..).

Note that the USB flash keys you get at BargainBinUSA aren't the same technology as what's in a solid-state-disk. This is a good thing, but makes the prices not comparable.

• 2 weeks later...

They had some of these at the Apple Store in Flatirons shopping mall. The pictures on the web-page don't do justice to how thin they are ! They look awesome, I wish I could afford one, but will probably opt for a regular MacBook, assuming I get a decent bonus this year... <_<

Another gripe on the Mac Air is the battery, it's not end user replaceable like most laptops. If the battery dies it has to be replaced by a techie. If that's good enough for iPods, why not laptops.

Another gripe on the Mac Air is the battery, it's not end user replaceable like most laptops. If the battery dies it has to be replaced by a techie. If that's good enough for iPods, why not laptops.

I heard that the iphone is the same way. And, the battery in them had an expected life of about 18 months ??