Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Powder Dial

A fella contacted me today about selling his product on be.com. It's a pretty cool looking dial that replaces the silly hex bolt on all Dillon's powder measures. It comes with a replacement bolt for the powder bar and sells for 24.95. It's a tad pricy, but it looks like a quality unit. The guy said his dad makes them all by hand because he's a "quality freak." Whadyathink? Any interest? ...

Some propaganda -

No Tools (Wrench) needed to adjust.

*Numbered graduations to give you reference and let you know which way to turn to add more powder. The larger the number the larger the charge.

*Every graduation will move the slider 1/1000 of an inch. This actually tells you how fine of an adjustment you have. (Been told by several customers that there are 3 to 4 graduations per 1/10 of a grain adjustment).

*Improved new bolt. (Start out with our own bolt. First we make sure that it is straight. Chase the threads on a lathe to clean them up. Cut the shoulder, then drill and tap the head to hold the dial.)

be

dillondial.jpg

I just made the flats on the hex nut different colors with magic marker and fingernail polish. That way I know if the setting isn't right I just turn a full turn in the correct direction then weigh again. :) Red is 4.0 grains of Bullseye for example. It is easy to get close then tweak a little if needed.

Bill Nesbitt

It's a beautiful thing.

It's also the cost of 2 1/2 charge bars.  I tend to just buy extra charge bars and stamp the caliber they're for on them and go that route.  Mickey mousing around with charge weights every time you change calibers is a waste of time.  I really wouldn't want to pay $25 for the privilege of doing it.  

My suggestion: Mold it out of glass-filled nylon.  Make it so it will snap onto the existing nut, then sell it for $3.95, or 3 for $10.  That, I would buy.

Quote: from EricW on 9:55 pm on Feb. 24, 2003

My suggestion: Mold it out of glass-filled nylon.  Make it so it will snap onto the existing nut, then sell it for $3.95, or 3 for $10.  That, I would buy.

Didn't someone already do that.....Arredondo I think?

Brian

I think it's way over priced also, that is why I made my own...

very easy to make your very own, turn the hex off the bolt then go to your local radio shack and buy a knob that set screws to the shaft. reassemble and tighten the knob on... 1.29

sno

He has been selling them on E-bay for quite sometime, Do a search under Dillion in the reloading section and you will find them,  Although I did not see it listed today, I have seen them going $21.95 I think and they are a Buy It Now only Auction. No bidding

Those are nice and look well made but it would cost me some $ to comvert all my powder measures.

I got a long socket that fits the bolt on the measure and just wrapped some grip tape around it.  I use the flats and points of the bolt circumfrence for reference when adjusting the measure.  

I've been thinking about getting one to try.  If I start reloading my rifle rounds on my 650 I'm definately going to get one.  I play too much with rifle loads to like the plain bolt, it's actually been one of the things that has kept me from loading my rifle rounds on the 650.

By the way here is a link to the website, or even if its not it sure looks the same.

http://www.mrdial.com/

I got one about 10 months ago.  Now I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but mine runs virtually identical to the load i am running.  i use Tightgroup, and when the 4 is up, it's dispensing 4 grains.  5 gives me 4.1.  6 gives me 4.2...too cool.

I liked switching, makes it a bit more exact now, and no wrench to have to use.

My only issue as i am now testing some new loads is that i go to the numbers on the dial as opposed to an exact grain weight.  If 4 gives me the 5 over on the power factor, then i just do little tweaks and find it an effort to go and weigh it as a double-check.

Brian, sell 'em!

different powders have different bulk densities , the number system is going to mess up a new reloader, Jimmybob and peggysue wont figure out that stuff and hurt themselfs. Thats why we didnt  make then at the factory.

I agree too expensive.  I've been searching hardware stores looking for a handle that will fit the 7/16" head of the bolt. No luck so far, but I WILL find one eventually. There are a lot of handles in the plumbing section of hardware stores. They usually cost around $2 or less.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen it on the web before. I think the selling point

is not the big graduated knob as much as the bolt with

good tolerences on the threads. I think the stock Dillon

bolt has a lot of lash. I spend forever tweaking it to get

the exact 1/10 grain that I want.