Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about assembling a .308 AR, is it possible?

Chills1994

Hi all,

No, this isn't necessarily going to be for 3 gun competitions, although I suppose He Man or Heavy Metal division is an option.

What do you all think, if I want particular gee-gaws and bells and whistles on it, should I just assemble one from the parts that I WANT?

Or should I just buy a complete factory made one?

The catch is it sounds like some AR manufacturers have one heck of a BACK LOG.

Thanks!

It all depends on what you want it to do? You can build your own or build the lower up and buy the upper? check the AR15.com forums for parts and info.

I am thinking about replacing my long range accuracy 308 rifle with a semi in .260. The new JP is sweet.

You need to decide what platform, Armalite or DPMS. I have decided to go DPMS style although it will probobly be a JP everything. The DPMS platform seems to be the way to go for reliability and mags.

I have heard that one platform will take the ultra inexpensive FAL or G3 mags.

I think it was Armalite that was having problems trying convert M-14 mags over to use in their platform.

Then I think there is still another platform that uses their own proprietary mags that are normally like 50 something bucks each. However I did see that somebody posted a link to 44mag.com that had them cheaper say in the 30 buck range.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Chills1994

Just go with the DPMS .308......yes the mag's retail at like $59.95, but you can get them cheaper than that.....I like the SR25 mags but at about $100 a pop, thats spendy for a very reliable magazine.

Unlike the AR15.....there just isn't as much out there yet for the 308's and you can get just about everything you want from DPMS for what you need.

Ok.....upgrade and get some JP stuff in it like the trigger, gas block and FFT......you won't be sorry.

I think Rock River still makes a .308 that takes FAL mags, and Fulton makes a 308 that takes DPMS and SR25 mags as well.

You can build one easy enough, but if you don't want barrels at factory diameter and don't have a lathe then you're screwed. Some manufacturers are doing custom builds, the JP rifle is not readily available yet, (I'm still waiting for mine).

Several "smiths are doing custom work on DPMS's, I would recommend Triangle Shooting (Benny Hill) for a DPMS build he has been doing them for years, however you need to be realistic, in how long it would take you to build one yourself and how long you are willing to give a "smith time to build one.

Especially if you want it for something other than 3 gun / multi gun matches. we only "need" 2 moa, if you want less, for precision matches then realistically you will have different components, heavier barrels, lighter carriers, play with gas system more, etc.

in our sport, you see reliable DPMS, FAL, and M1A's, I know of one Armalite. Like everything else stick with what works, and learn from those who have come before you. the first three use thier OWN mags, and they are readily available, i'm not certain on the Armalite, but then I am only aware of one currently being used.(there may be others I am only aware of the one).

Trapr

I think it was Armalite that was having problems trying convert M-14 mags over to use in their platform.

Nope. ArmaLite is now making their own, Gen II mags and they work perfectly! You can buy 5-twenty rounders for $200 or 5-twenty five rounders for $250.

Ed

Chills,

I have a LR-308 that I basically pieced together. Got a complete lower from the local store in NC that just happened to have one on the shelf. Ordered a mod'ed out DPMS upper from JP and it's pretty awesome (this is pre current Front Sight ads). Mags are easy to find and cheap. BTW...THEY WORK! I dig the 308 as it's an easy round to get ammo for. Friends with the 260 have said that at times they're having to toss brass as the case heads are at times soft(er) for the harsh action the extractor puts on them.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd be ordering a complete LR-308 from DPMS and having Benny work his magic.

Rich

I have heard that one platform will take the ultra inexpensive FAL or G3 mags.

Rock River was suppose to release their .308 AR over 2 years ago, it still hasn't showed up. It is designed to take FAL mags, but seems to me there is something wrong with designing a rifle around an expendible part like a mag. (Bushmaster had a ton of trouble with it.) Maybe it will work fine, if it ever reaches production, but in my opinion DPMS did the right thing. Build a rifle that works, then engineer the mag to feed it.

I started with a 24 inch DPMS added a Jp trigger. Shot it for awhile and then sent the top end to Benny Hill for his treatment. Ended up with a rifle that has a turned down 21.5" barrel, a Rolling Thunder Comp., carbon fiber fore end, and a lightened bolt carrier. This cut the weight by about 2.5 pounds and it really shoots. Shot a group the other day that measured 1.75 inchs at 200 yds with a 3 power scope and 168 grain Noslers on 44.5 Varget.

Used it the other day at a local 3 gun match and it really shoots flat. It pushes you back some but it stays right on target.

I've picked up mags for as little as 29.99 each.

post-7595-1200440069.jpg

Edited by Big Bore

Hi Chills - Armalite runs sales and the REALLY mark stuff down.

I bought an AR-10 lower for $117 last year or the year before. They claimed it was "out of spec" by 20 thou but its fine and works great. Also bough an upper from them on sale for a big discount.

M14 maks can be converted; they won't hold open the bolt, but get a couple Armalite mags that will for stages where you need that feature.

I found a "during AWB ban" upper for about $450 used. There are deals out there.

I've not shot the gun in competition yet.

:cheers:

If you are looking for somthing that uses FAL mags, then how about a FAL. They tend to work pretty well and most are accurate enough, and some very accurate. Stick with something built on an Imbel, or DSA receiver.

Mike

JP Now has their own .308 - AR style with side cocking handle.

This is what convinced me I need a semi as my precision rifle. I love my AICS but its like shooting a 2x4.

I fondled the display .260 and .308's at Fort Benning and now have to have one. I am going to discuss the details with John Paul at the SHOT show and go from there. If anyone has a new one on the way it will be at SHOT.

Rock River was suppose to release their .308 AR over 2 years ago, it still hasn't showed up.

Keep the faith. They are coming any day now. Really: Arfcom Official RRA LAR-8 thread

The Bushmaster 308 took FAL mags. There was a lower tier AR maker (ASA?) that made a rifle taking FAL mags, but it cost more than a DPMS and a bunch of DPMS mags. Rock River will cost about what DPMS does, and takes cheap mags. How well will those cheap mags work? Time will tell.

Lee