Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting other people's reloads...

What do you guys think about shooting other shooter's reloads?

I know there are plenty of shooters willing to work the chrono stage at IDPA or USPSA matches and shoot reloads all day long. That's o.k. with me. If you want to take a chance, go right ahead.

But what about paying for a match and having to shoot a stage with someone else's gun and reloads. I've been to several matches over the years where you had to do this to complete a course of fire. It just seems like a bad idea to me.

Am I being paranoid??? I have personally witnessed two double charges. I'd like to see a rule stating that you can not require a contestant to shoot ammunition with an unknown history.

I know there are plenty of shooters willing to work the chrono stage at IDPA or USPSA matches and shoot reloads all day long. That's o.k. with me. If you want to take a chance, go right ahead.

But what about paying for a match and having to shoot a stage with someone else's gun and reloads. I've been to several matches over the years where you had to do this to complete a course of fire. It just seems like a bad idea to me.

Am I being paranoid??? I have personally witnessed two double charges. I'd like to see a rule stating that you can not require a contestant to shoot ammunition with an unknown history.

I don't much like it either... the best thing I can say is if you don't want to do it don't.

Chrono: Not a job I would want for sure.

My policy has always been to observe others shooting their own reloads while I shot mine. Too many double charges because someone forgot to index their 550 and I've found that I can continue to have more repect for others the more ignornant I remain about their mechanical ability, QA practices, etc...

5.1.9 makes it illegal to have a competitor use more than one handgun in a stage.

5.1.9 makes it illegal to have a competitor use more than one handgun in a stage.

True, but they could ignore that at a Level I match. I've seen it done before....have a revolver staged with six rounds in it and you have to engage three paper before you could switch to your own gun....that sort of thing.

True, but they could ignore that at a Level I match. I've seen it done before....have a revolver staged with six rounds in it and you have to engage three paper before you could switch to your own gun....that sort of thing.

That is not one of the Level I exemptions.

If they are not following the rules now, more rules won't help.

I'm certainly not defending it...just saying I've seen it done more than once.

Unfortunately, many of the Level I matches I've been to don't really follow all the rules perfectly. I wouldn't say they were huge deviations or anything...for example, it seems pretty common to have at least one or two COF that don't really comply with the rules....stuff like too many rounds, too many rounds from one position etc.

If its not for the double possibility, its the fact that I have had the rounds not finished correctly. They still have a very small amount of the bell on them :wacko:

and then will not feed. If they can over look this......then what else is going on?

I dont like it my self.... my .02

We did it at our club match which is not affiliated with USPSA or IDPA.

I don't know if USPSA has a similar rule, but:

4.6.1 Range equipment must present the challenge fairly and equitably to all competitors. Range equipment failure includes, but is not limited to, the displacement of paper targets, the premature activation of metal or moving targets, the malfunction of mechanically or electrically operated equipment, and the failure of props such as openings, ports, and barriers. The declaration and/or use of any loaded (see Rule 10.5.13) or unloaded firearm as "range equipment" is prohibited.

The bold part deals explicitly with forcing competitors to shoot a stage with "Match provided" firearms.

I don't know if USPSA has a similar rule, but:
4.6.1 The declaration and/or use of any loaded (see Rule 10.5.13) or unloaded firearm as "range equipment" is prohibited.

The bold part deals explicitly with forcing competitors to shoot a stage with "Match provided" firearms.

NOW I understand what they were talking about.

Thank you, Skywalker...

Other than IDPA, I have never shot a stage that required 2 guns Mine and a stage gun). I have shot others reloads as the people that I shoot with have the same equipment as I and we worked up loads together and use tha same components in our loads(MG bullets, Viht powder) so using their ammo would not bother me nor would I have a problem at the chrono with it. I have used anothers gun when the hammer broke on my open gun, but it was the same situation, same shooter and exact same gun(just worn differently). I would probably decline others ammo unless I was familiar with the shooter and knowing his reloading abilities. Factory ammo wouldnt bother me as I shoot quite alot of factory in other matches. In 3-gun I will not shoot anyones ammo other than mine at long range, but for 100 yards and in I'll shoot about anything that will group within 2 inches.

You know my opinion on this Chris... I'm against shooting another person's reloads (IDPA only because USPSA has pretty much covered that)...... I won't even run a chrono. stage for that reason.

But I'd take it further I have no interest in shooting an unknown gun. At the Ohio state we shot in together a few years ago there were at least two stages which forced you to pick up and fire a loaded pistol which you were not allowed to touch until the buzzer went off.

In my pistol classes I have seen enogh problems happen when people aren't 100% familier with the gun they are shooting...... having a person fire a totally unfamilier gun in the pressure of a majar match is asking for a problem... or at least an AD.

Edited by MichiganShootist

USPSA rules deal with it pretty well. At several of the IDPA Winter Nationals at S&W there'd be a stage where you'd need to shoot 5 rounds from a provided new snubbie, and I'm pretty sure they were using factory ammo. (One year it was three snubbies in a row, as the first 15 rounds on a stage, but I digress....

At last year's NY State Rifle match, we all got to shoot an M1 Garand for the first 8 rounds on a stage. They were kind enough to provide a short firearms orientation and let us dry-fire the piece, before one of the ROs loaded it and set it on the table in front of us, safety on.

Both of those experiences enhanced my match fun. Neither one relied on reloads, both had spare guns on hand, in case of a breakage.....

Reloads is a whole 'nother story. There's people I've borrowed from, and people I've lent ammo to, but I'm pretty selective about who....