Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheapest Source for Montana Gold?

Fullauto_Shooter

Looking for the cheapest (yeah, a relative term at today's prices) Montana Gold bullets that I can find? Specifically need .40 180gr CMJ. Am I better off ordering directly from MG or is there a distributor out there offering a better deal? Will probably only get 1 case for now.

Thanks

If you don't have a local dealer you'll probably have to go through MG directly. I don't know of anyone else offering them online....but their direct prices are generally pretty similiar to, and sometimes better, than other options like Zeros or HAPs from Powder Valley and others.

Thanks for all the replies - guess I'll just call MG direct and go that route.

G-ManBart,

Have you shot all those MG bullets I sold you a few months back?

Hindsight being 20/20, I realize now that I should have kept them.

MEC,

My mailman already has a contract out on me due to the many heavy packages.

Think I'm gonna give up lead once all my Precisions are gone (just too smokey) and go strictly with jacketed stuff.

Got Steve Anderson's book recently, so I'll save $$ by concentrating more on dry-fire with less live fire - at least that's my plan!!

Thanks again and if anyone has a magical source of cheap MGs, please let me know and it'll be just our little secret.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Thanks for all the replies - guess I'll just call MG direct and go that route.

G-ManBart,

Have you shot all those MG bullets I sold you a few months back?

Hindsight being 20/20, I realize now that I should have kept them.

MEC,

My mailman already has a contract out on me due to the many heavy packages.

Think I'm gonna give up lead once all my Precisions are gone (just too smokey) and go strictly with jacketed stuff.

Got Steve Anderson's book recently, so I'll save $$ by concentrating more on dry-fire with less live fire - at least that's my plan!!

Thanks again and if anyone has a magical source of cheap MGs, please let me know and it'll be just our little secret.

Well, I've shot most of them. I have a couple hundred left. They worked like a champ through my Limited gun and my buddy's single stack gun, but my single stack didn't like feeding them from slide lock (smith is welding up and recutting the ramp because of that). I've got 6 or 7K of Zero 180JHP's stashed and about a thousand Precision Delta 180FMJ's too. I'm probably sitting on 2-3K of loaded rounds and that plus the bullets I've got should hold me for a while since I'm going to be shooting mostly Open this year. I've got about 13K of bullets for the Open gun (half MG, half Zero) so my loading bench is weighed down enough that nothing is moving it! R,

Direct from Montana Gold is the cheapest for me.

Warning: Your mailman will hate you for the bulkrate delivery boxes that weigh 65lbs. :surprise:

Mine just stopped delivering them. They always put the yellow slip in the box to have me pick them up!!! HAHA.

Well, the mailman just dropped off a case of beautiful, shiny, golden 180gr CMJs. Ordered them Thursday afternoon and they showed up Saturday afternoon - great shipping speed IMO. Got a couple pounds of VV N320 that I'm gonna experiment with - have heard that 5.0 grains is a good starting point with the 180 CMJs. Gonna load up some rounds and chrono within the next couple days. Looking for a good DTR Championship load - love my Precisions for practice and local matches but just a bit too smokey for the big events.

Well, the mailman just dropped off a case of beautiful, shiny, golden 180gr CMJs. Ordered them Thursday afternoon and they showed up Saturday afternoon - great shipping speed IMO. Got a couple pounds of VV N320 that I'm gonna experiment with - have heard that 5.0 grains is a good starting point with the 180 CMJs. Gonna load up some rounds and chrono within the next couple days. Looking for a good DTR Championship load - love my Precisions for practice and local matches but just a bit too smokey for the big events.

Try loading to 1.19-1.20 with the MG 180's, start around 4.8 grns and work up with your N320 powder. It will depend on your gun and barrel but 4.9 grains of Vhit 320 w/small pistol primers is easily major in my Edge and is higher than that in my Springfield Trophy Match .40.

And the smoke is no big deal 'til you shoot in an early morning haze at PASA Park and can't see the target at 25 yards through the smoke and you gotta shoot where you "THINK" the target is. I learned that the hard way.

Edited by jasmap

Try loading to 1.19-1.20 with the MG 180's, start around 4.8 grns and work up with your N320 powder. It will depend on your gun and barrel but 4.9 grains of Vhit 320 w/small pistol primers is easily major in my Edge and is higher than that in my Springfield Trophy Match .40.

And the smoke is no big deal 'til you shoot in an early morning haze at PASA Park and can't see the target at 25 yards through the smoke and you gotta shoot where you "THINK" the target is. I learned that the hard way.

I loaded up some chrono loads this evening (between 4.7 and 5.1 grains of N320) with an OAL of 1.190 so I ought to be in the ballpark for PF. Will try to chrono tomorrow if the weather permits (supposed to be rainy / drizzling most of the day).

My tipping point on smokey rounds came on my first stage at this years 3-Gun Nationals up in Tulsa. Had to engage a bank of targets to my left with the rising sun directly behind them. After I fired my second round, the remaining two targets were completely obscured by the smoke cloud. The smoke just hung there and I had to step to the side to be able to engage them. Never again - at least not at a big match.

Thanks for the N320 load tips - I'll probably post my chrono results in the reloading forum at some point.

4.8+ VV 320 in a Kart and Nowlin Barrels gives 170 power factor. Also in a SA new gun. On really cold mornings I heat my ammo in the car just to make sure I hit power factor. This is a load I used at 2 A2 and five Nationals. It is pretty consistent. A Schuemann barrel will be slower about 10fps. I chrono'd rounds with Taran one day using his Schuemann and my Kart. His were consistently slower.

(5.0-5.1 gives a 180+ PF)