Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading .223 on an XL650

I have been reloading mainly .45 and 9MM on an XL650 for some years now.

Looking to start loading .223 now.

Been doing some research and realized I now need to trim so ordered a giraud trimmer.

Seen conflicting reports however on depriming and sizing in one pass and then filling and crimping on a second pass or doing it all in one pass.

Any feedback on the best way to go?

Thanks!

Chris

If you are using military brass,you must take the crimp off the primer pocket. If you don't you cannot re-prime. When using this brass and a 650 press

I clean, lube and de-prime then re lube and run the cases through the 650. I know its a extra step, but I have been give a huge case of miltary brass and I am going to use them. Good luck

If you are using military brass,you must take the crimp off the primer pocket. If you don't you cannot re-prime. When using this brass and a 650 press

I clean, lube and de-prime then re lube and run the cases through the 650. I know its a extra step, but I have been give a huge case of miltary brass and I am going to use them. Good luck

I have heard that but have no idea how to check if it is crimped. Most of my brass is Federal, PMC or Winchester. I think I have some Lake City which might have this issue...

Any way to tell by looking at the primer pocket if it is crimped?

• 6 months later...

I have heard that but have no idea how to check if it is crimped. Most of my brass is Federal, PMC or Winchester. I think I have some Lake City which might have this issue...

Any way to tell by looking at the primer pocket if it is crimped?

I have noticed that many of the primers I have problems with have some type of coloring between the crimp and the primer. In fact most of the Federal Cardboard boxed and PMC I have found are that way for me. What are you doing to deprime them before putting them in the press. I have the Dillon Swagger but don't know how to get the primer out before swagging. What do you do?

I have noticed that many of the primers I have problems with have some type of coloring between the crimp and the primer. In fact most of the Federal Cardboard boxed and PMC I have found are that way for me. What are you doing to deprime them before putting them in the press. I have the Dillon Swagger but don't know how to get the primer out before swagging. What do you do?

I just tumble, lube and size the brass, then swage the primers. When reloading I leave out the sizing die since that is already done.

Unless you already have a large supply of .223 brass saved up...the best deal is the Scarch Brass that is already trimmed and sized.....drop it in and pull the handle...in my opinion it is well worth the .10 per case. They have started a trade in which they will issue you a $2.14 per pound credit for old brass.

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/categor...asp?catid=23696

Randal

You typically size before trimming, so I would lube the clean cases, size and deprime, tumble the lube off, trim, then reload.

+1

Lube 200, dump into feeder.

Put a size/deprime die in one tool head alone - put toolhead in the 650.

Run all 200 through the size/deprime die.

Take all 200 to trimmer, trim.

Swap toolheads in the 650, Put the powder drop and seat die in this tool head.

Fill primer tube with primers.

Dump 200 cases back into the feeder.

Load as normal.

If you are reloading something with a crimp, then you will need to remove that before you run it through the 650 the second time.

A Dillon Super Swage works well as well as the Case mate RCBS station... or the old hand tools work as well. :angry2: