Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV Mags are sticking

tgibson

I recently purchased an SVI sight tracker and before I got my extra mags, I was practicing my reloads and now I have two mags that will not drop out when I press the mag release. I have kept these two mags seperate so I know which ones they are, but eventually I will need them (like for the Ironman!!!). So my question is, what do I need to do to fix these? When I press the mag release I can feel the frame of the gun sort of swell up. When I release the mag button, the mag will then sort of come loose, but still will not fall free. I have to pull it out. Thanks in advance for any help!

TG

There are a couple of threads on this. First, find out where the binding is happening. Take the slide off so you can see the mag well clearly, mash the mag release and see if it is binding on the mags when fully depressed. If it is, fire up the dremel and remove the offending metal from the mag release. Next check the magwell itself foe any burrs, mold flash, etc. Trim any offending plastic with a sharp knife and smooth it over with some fine sandpaper. If this solves th problem you are good to go.

If they are still binding you could get out the dykem or Sharpie and color the mags, then insert them a few times and check the worn areas for binding, you could get out the calipers and measure the mag bodies and find where they are oversize compared to the mags that drop free, and then gently squeeze the wide part of the mag in a vise.

Best bet may be to have a good mag tuner such as HSMITH or Bob Londrigan or Beven Grams make sure the mags are good to go.

Edited by John Dunn

Dammit man, you've got a plasma arc table, a stick welder and an angle grinder at your disposal. What are you waiting for?

Calipers, vices, and good manners are for sissies.

Edited by EricW

Dammit man, you've got a plasma arc table, a stick welder and an angle grinder at your disposal. What are you waiting for?

Calipers, vices, and good manners are for sissies.

That is how I got here in the first place!! I was using my old motto...If it don't fit force it!!! However, I didn't use that one until my first motto didn't work.. More force, less finess!! (Sp?) But even that one came after, "If it don't fit, you aint pushin' hard enough!!"

Your right.... hand me my 12lb. doublejack and 9" ginder..we'll git er done!!!!

TG

Edited by tgibson

I am reading all of these posts, and it seems to me that if any of these problems were the cause, all of the rest of my mags would be sticking too. Is this the case or am I missing something? The other six mags drop out slick as a whistle.

TG

Travis,

You just need to measure the outside dims of the offending mags and compare those to the "good" mags. A padded vice will get them back into spec no problem. It's all part of mag tuning. It's very likely that the sticking mags were tuned by the vice method so that the narrow dimension was wider than stock (by squeezing the mag on the long axis). At least with STI mags, that's what you do to get the rounds to feed smoothly through the mag (lacking the proper mandrel to open up the mag body).

You'll have some experimenting to do as you figure out how much pressure to apply versus the springback of the material, but as long as you don't crush the mag you won't be doing anything irreversible.

FWIW,

Eric

Have you checked for interference between the followers and the slide stop ?

Or the trigger bow with the mag body.

Julien, +1.

I had same problems with my Edge.

After changing of follower all problems gone.

Also take a look on upper grip screws...

Travis,

You just need to measure the outside dims of the offending mags and compare those to the "good" mags. A padded vice will get them back into spec no problem. It's all part of mag tuning. It's very likely that the sticking mags were tuned by the vice method so that the narrow dimension was wider than stock (by squeezing the mag on the long axis). At least with STI mags, that's what you do to get the rounds to feed smoothly through the mag (lacking the proper mandrel to open up the mag body).

You'll have some experimenting to do as you figure out how much pressure to apply versus the springback of the material, but as long as you don't crush the mag you won't be doing anything irreversible.

FWIW,

Eric

I have an Ironworker and a 10 ton Porta-Power. I am sure I will be able to get something to work! :goof:

TG

I had the same issue last winter, and only with 2 of my mags (one was my fav. big stick).

Measured the mag bodies and they all were within spec. Thought that the cold weather

might have had an effect on my stippled grip.

Removed the grip and heated the inside with a hair dryer, wrapped one of the binding

tubes with paper, then inserted the tube into the grip. Allowed it to cool then repeated

it a couple more times. Have'nt had a sticking mag since!

Jim

• 1 month later...
I had the same issue last winter, and only with 2 of my mags (one was my fav. big stick).

Measured the mag bodies and they all were within spec. Thought that the cold weather

might have had an effect on my stippled grip.

Removed the grip and heated the inside with a hair dryer, wrapped one of the binding

tubes with paper, then inserted the tube into the grip. Allowed it to cool then repeated

it a couple more times. Have'nt had a sticking mag since!

I've used the same technique on Glock frames with some success. Except I use boiling water. I used a cut up coke can to make shims to wrap the mag in. Wrap the mag with shims and jam into the magwell. Dunk the grip/mag into the boiling water for a couple of minutes. When it's nice and warm, remove the mag in insert more shims and repeat.

Recipe for Glock Soup.

Oh yeah, and I've got the same issue. One mag won't drop free in my STI. The rest are all good to go. Maybe I'll try some STI Soup. Or maybe I'll just break out the calipers first and tweak as needed.

I had one mag always sticking. It had a grams follower, the other had dawson followers in the mag.

I sanded the follower where it contacted the slide stop and the mag dropped like a deer shot in the heart with a 50BMG!

Easy fix for me. Check it out.

Randy

I have the same problem with 2 of my new "super tuned mags". I am with EricW on that. Most likely mag dims are out. There was just a slight sticky-ness to em whereas all my other mags (12?) have fed no problem.

Save yourself some agony and send them to HSMITH for tuning, even if it is a follower issue.

• 4 months later...

I have an STI open and use only SV mags. Some SV mags drop free from the factory and other don't.

I use spray can primer or guide coat and paint the upper portion of the mag including the follower. I insert the mag several times and look of rub marks. I have found the left front of the follower rubbing on the slide release, metal rubbing just below the feed lips on both sides, and below below the locking notch.