Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI feed Problems

Coolduckboy

Disclaimer: This is a new gun and has only had about 200 rounds of 180gr PD FMJ with 4.6gr of Titegroup with an OAL of 1.170.

Ok, I am having problems with my Edge not feeding the bullets properly. I shot 50 rounds through it last weekend and ran flawless. When i shot the match yesterday, 08-04 classifier, the gun felt extremely sluggish. I asked a few people and warned me that this is just because lack of round count, so i bought it and went onto the next stage and finally saw the prolem. I put a mag in and Rack the slide but when the slide came forward, I saw the bullet trying to come up the ramp but the top of the bullet was stuck on top of the chamber of the barrel and wouldn't feed until i gave the slide a little nudge.

Would this be a problem caused by a short OAL or just needs to be shot a lot more?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like the extractor tension is too high, but if you haven't changed it, that's probably not the problem.

Did this happen with one magazine only?

With only 200 rounds through the gun, and it's functioned good up to this point, you should probably clean, lube, and shoot some more.

This happens with all the mags or just one mag? You do have them numbered right?

Oil it up and try it again, 200 rounds isn't enough to dirty the gun enough to have a problem, recoil spring with just 200 rounds on it will be fine. Load is strong enough to run the gun if it will run.

I don't buy the new gun theory either, STI are not anywhere near tight enough to need a break-in beyond the first couple mags.

Well i am using Hsmith mags and was using 1, 3, and 4. Pretty sure it wasn't the mags.

I am going to load to 1.18-1.19 with my next batch of ammo and will shoot it at the Dundee match at the end of the month. i will give a report when that happens.

I am going to load to 1.18-1.19 with my next batch of ammo and will shoot it at the Dundee match at the end of the month. i will give a report when that happens.

A match isn't the place to find out if your new loads will work or not. Get yourself to anywhere you can function fire your gun with the new loads. If you can't make it out to a range before the match, go to the match early and see if the range/match staff will allow you to function fire your rounds before the start of the match.

Shooting while frustrated due to ammo problems won't be conducive to good shooting.

Well i shot a pretty good match when even after i found out my problems (i was fustrated though). I will see what i can do to get to the range before then. My schedule is very busy and I don't have a membership to a range (even though i know i can use it) and so i usually just test it out it at a match and if sh!! hits the fan then i just deal with it. I might go buy some 9mm just incase and shoot my glock if it doesn't work.

I will report the information on my next firing of the gun.

Well, with 3 of the mags it isn't a mag problem, and the gun should run that OAL with no problems.

Re-reading the original description looks like a 3 point jam, probably too much extractor tension or a burr on the edge of the extractor biting the cases. Look at the fired cases, are there any places that look torn up either on the rim or in the extractor groove? Dings, smears, will be bright metal of some kind.

If it is a 3 point loading long will at least mask it and the gun might just take off and run perfect, might still have a few problems. I'd drop an Aftec in it and be done with that if it were mine. Check the extractor tension and see what it looks like.

Clean it. Clean it real good.

Check the feed ramp. Is it smooth ? If not polish it.

What weight of spring are you running ? 11 to 13 should be fine.

I once had an Edge. That thing would feed empty cases. It would run factory ammo or 1.200 w/o a hiccup. unless of course it was dirty. :)

I seem to remember someone telling you it was going to need to be gone over by a smith, can't remember who that was. Bring it to Dundee with you and I'll bring the extractor tension guage with me. Load up some long ammo also. Alot of these things are sensitive to the short stuff. If memory serves you've got a Recoil Master in that right? I wouldn't worry about the Recoil assy. other than to make sure nothing is bent or broken. I would check, extractor (tension) breechface (burrs) and magazines. I'll bring some tuned ones instead of the factory ones you have.

I have tuned ones. They are tuned by HSMith (said in a previous post). Also the gunsmith that i would take it to is swamped with over a months behind worth of work and am not going to drive 30 min away to interupt someone project that has been going on for a month or so. Recoil master is fine, for now, i stripped that out and checked it out and nothing was wrong. I will definetly bring the ammo which i have some leftovers of the Albany batch but will have about 200-250 for the Dundee match at 1.19 OAL.

Good chance it is the extractor, but it could also be your thumb dragging on the rear serrations. This will definetly cause the slide to feel slow. The stock sti safety is not wide enough for me and caused this problem. I had a swenson safety with the thumb shield installed and never had the problem again.

It tends to happen more often on stages that are up close and you are really squeezing down on the gun to drive it for fast splits.

It might also help to file down the corners of the serrations to round them off a little.

I have had that problem when i first started shooting my glock but I do not have the problem anymore (at least i don't think I do). I have shot 1911's in the past and have gotten used to using the safety into my grip and did have some problems early on but have gotten rid of those after the first few matches.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late delay. Was really tired yesterday and passed out when i came home. Going into the first stage the gun ran perfect, Second stage: I racked the slide and the bullet got stuck on the ramp, i pull the slide back again and same thing, so i take the mag out put in another one (thought when i pulled it out a bullet was in the chamber) Ding then go to shoot and *Click* dumped the mag then racked the slide and it hung up for a split seccond then went through.

The rest of the stages the gun ran well and there were really no problems but some of the rounds still felt sluggish because the bullets didn't go into the chamber smoothly.

Sorry for the late delay. Was really tired yesterday and passed out when i came home. Going into the first stage the gun ran perfect, Second stage: I racked the slide and the bullet got stuck on the ramp, i pull the slide back again and same thing, so i take the mag out put in another one (thought when i pulled it out a bullet was in the chamber) Ding then go to shoot and *Click* dumped the mag then racked the slide and it hung up for a split seccond then went through.

The rest of the stages the gun ran well and there were really no problems but some of the rounds still felt sluggish because the bullets didn't go into the chamber smoothly.

Still sounds like an extractor issue. Easiest fix is to order an AFTEC, follow their directions on fitting the firing pin stop to fit and I'll be the problems go away. R,

thought that needed to be installed by a gunsmith. at least that was it says on my aftec for my open gun

I guess they probably do say that on the package, but it should have instructions with it as well. Essentially all you're doing is breaking the edges on the firing pin stop (rounding them a bit) to make sure that the AFTEC can pivot properly. It's pretty easy to do and the instructions are clear. You also need to check that the tip of the AFTEC isn't hitting the barrel when the action closes, but that's not terribly common from what I've seen and it would be easy to trim if necessary. I think it took me 15min to fit my first AFTEC (in an Edge) and the gun has had probably 5-7K through it since then without a failure.