Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Trigger Insert

burntcrispy

How do you change out just the trigger insert in a SVI trigger? (switching from curved to flat) Do you have to take out the whole trigger or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks.

Taking the whole trigger out is the best bet. Most of the inserts are pretty tight and have to be driven out with a punch or something similar. Some aren't as tight and if you take out the overtravel screw, you can take them out while still in the gun....but chances are the replacement will be too tight to put in with finger pressure. There isn't a really good way I'm aware of that you can support the trigger body enough while it's in the gun to take a punch to the insert without messing things up.

Look at it this way...it's a free detail strip and clean for your lower ;)

Burnt,

There is a simplified way that works in most cases. In some cases the pretravel has been reduced too much to allow this, but I have not experienced one of those myself.

Make sure that the pistol is unloaded (twice) yadd yadda....

Step 1. Remove the mag release button (VERY IMPORTANT, OR YOU WILL BEND THE TRIGGER BOW!)

Step 2. Screw in the overtravel adjustment screw far enough to allow the insert to slide out the side.

Step 3. Slide out the insert and replace with new insert and reverse the steps back to step 1.

IMPORTANT ... This method assumes that you know the proper way to adjust the overtravel on your pistol. If you do not know how to adjust the overtravel, DO NOT DO THIS and simply disassemble everything and do it the usual way.

The best way to make sure you muck anything up is to remove the trigger from the grip.

Once you have it out, remove the overstop screw out the back of the trigger frame (it wont fit through front of the insert).

Use a small piece of pasteboard (tear the lid from an ammo box) to pad the jaws of your shop vice. Secure the trigger frame in the vice (see photos).

Use the backside of a punch, and gently tap the insert out with a heavy hammer. DO NOT slam it out quickly, Little taps are the answer.

Align the new insert, and slowly/gently tap it in place. The trigger frame has three surfaces that the insert must fit into, Try to keep the punch in the center so the insert goes in evenly.

Replace the trigger overtravel screw and reassemble.

Photo sequence doesn't seem to make sense. But...It's Red insert out, Black insert in.

post-13239-1200187552.jpg

post-13239-1200187564.jpg

post-13239-1200187574.jpg

post-13239-1200187583.jpg

post-13239-1200187594.jpg

post-13239-1200187603.jpg

post-13239-1200187611.jpg

Edited by D-Man

Thanks for the explanation and photos, but do you have any idea what size wrench is required to undo the overtravel stop?

Thanks

P.D.

The one just smaller than 1/16. I actually just got finished switching out the insert a little while ago. I used the method of taking out the mag release and then screwing in the overtravel screw until the insert could be removed. The insert was very easy to remove with finger pressure only. The new long, flat trigger feels great. I'll try to post some pics in the next few days.

Dumb question....

Is there a top and bottom to the trigger inserts? Other then where the over travel lines up that is.

I am planning on adding one to a current build. And was thinking of getting the Enos pad. If I don't like the curve on the bottom was wondering if I could flip it around and put the flat on the bottom.

Edited by Seiko

• 8 months later...
The one just smaller than 1/16.

Hi, and which size is the one just smaller than 1/16? I don't have the english system, I use the metric system and need to make the wrench myself, because english system wrenshes are not sold here.

And which kind of wrench is needed to get the magazine release out? It seems to be some kind of a star-shaped wrench.

The one just smaller than 1/16.

Hi, and which size is the one just smaller than 1/16? I don't have the english system, I use the metric system and need to make the wrench myself, because english system wrenshes are not sold here.

And which kind of wrench is needed to get the magazine release out? It seems to be some kind of a star-shaped wrench.

The magazine release comes out using a small flat bladed screwdriver. If you have an oversized button on your magazine release that needs to be removed first that's a little different. It sounds like a Torx bit is what you need....I know Brazos uses them on their mag release buttons, but don't know what size they correspond to.

Thank's a lot, in the meantime I found out, that Torx bits use the same measurement everywhere, and I will get some.

This evening I will try changing the trigger insert by removing the magazine release and screwing in the overtravel screw. If the insert is tight that I need to remove the whole trigger from the system, I will bring it to a gunsmith. (My SV is too new to make experiments and I never removed parts from the frame/grip of a 1911/2011 <_< )

Thank's a lot, in the meantime I found out, that Torx bits use the same measurement everywhere, and I will get some.

This evening I will try changing the trigger insert by removing the magazine release and screwing in the overtravel screw. If the insert is tight that I need to remove the whole trigger from the system, I will bring it to a gunsmith. (My SV is too new to make experiments and I never removed parts from the frame/grip of a 1911/2011 <_< )

If you do have to take it to a gunsmith, ask if you can watch him tear it down and put it back together. It's pretty easy once you've seen it. Alternately, go to www.brazoscustom.com and find the "Magazine Articles" section. Click on that and find the article on Disassembly/Reassembly of your STI/SV Gun" and spend a few minutes reading it. It's not tough to do with a little guidance from the article. R,

• 10 years later...