Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S.O.S. .VRO files from my handcam ....

Recently I've bought a Canon handcam for making movies during matches, training, etc ...

The product is the DC230 (a DvD recording one ...):

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...p;modelid=14788

The problem is that the files recorded by the camera on the DvD are in .vro format and I can't open they on my PC with Windows VISTA ... :angry2:

Sadly, I've bought a DVD recording handcam thinking that it could be easier to handle the filet to/from the camera and the PC ... :wub:

I dont' know if this problem is enlarged by Windows VISTA: can anybody suggest any solution ?

I've serched in internet for a software to convert the .vro files on .mpeg ones (or other format ...) but I haven't found nothing that works !

What software are you trying to view them with?

Are you just trying to view them, or did you want to edit them?

From the Canon site:

DVD camcorder movies are primarily designed for direct playback of the recorded discs using either the camcorder connected to the television or by simply removing the finalized DVD disc from the camcorder and placing it into your home DVD player. A computers DVD drive that is compatible with 3 inch Mini-DVD's* combined with DVD playback software installed onto the computer can also play your movies.

For AVCHD high definition DVD camcorders such as the HR10, playback of DVD's recorded in high definition mode may only be played on DVD players that support AVCHD playback (i.e. most Blu-Ray DVD players, Sony Playstation 3, and computers with proper software).

The DVD video format is designed for direct playback rather than uploading to a computer for editing. Various third party software applications are available to assist in uploading your videos to your computer's hard drive for playback, but most video editing software packages do not currently have the ability to edit these files.

If you wish to attempt to edit your DVD movies using your computer we suggest consulting with your software vendor or performing a web search for applications that support DVD camcorder video files.

I can't personally recommend any software because I haven't used any of it... but a quick search turned up a few options like: http://www.squared5.com/ or http://www.dvd-tool.com/vro-to-vob-mpeg.html

After searching through some info... try copying the .vro file (so you still have the original) and change the .vro file extension to .mpeg or .mpg.

I'm finding all kinds of solutions... I just need to know specifically what you're trying to do.

:D

From the Canon site:

DVD camcorder movies are primarily designed for direct playback of the recorded discs using either the camcorder connected to the television or by simply removing the finalized DVD disc from the camcorder and placing it into your home DVD player. A computers DVD drive that is compatible with 3 inch Mini-DVD's* combined with DVD playback software installed onto the computer can also play your movies.

For AVCHD high definition DVD camcorders such as the HR10, playback of DVD's recorded in high definition mode may only be played on DVD players that support AVCHD playback (i.e. most Blu-Ray DVD players, Sony Playstation 3, and computers with proper software).

The DVD video format is designed for direct playback rather than uploading to a computer for editing. Various third party software applications are available to assist in uploading your videos to your computer's hard drive for playback, but most video editing software packages do not currently have the ability to edit these files.

If you wish to attempt to edit your DVD movies using your computer we suggest consulting with your software vendor or performing a web search for applications that support DVD camcorder video files.

I can't personally recommend any software because I haven't used any of it... but a quick search turned up a few options like: http://www.squared5.com/ or http://www.dvd-tool.com/vro-to-vob-mpeg.html

After searching through some info... try copying the .vro file (so you still have the original) and change the .vro file extension to .mpeg or .mpg.

I'm finding all kinds of solutions... I just need to know specifically what you're trying to do.

Sharyn,

thank you so much for your help.

For the moment I would like simply to view the finalized mini-dvd on mu PC, playing them on the PC's DVD player.

The PC is quite new (bought only 1 month ago) with Windows Vista pre-installed.

The problem is that Vista doesn't read the .vro files !

I've serched for any software for by-passing this problem but I haven't fount nothing.

WARNING: I'm not so skilled about PC management, and less than this about video-recording (thi is my very FIRST video-cam ) :ph34r:

Thanks again for your time you've spent for me !

Stefano

Vista probably isn't the problem.

1) What happens when you insert the disk in the DVD drive? (what errors do you get or does it just do nothing?)

2) Do you know how to locate the .vro file? If so, copy it to your desktop and rename it with a .mpg extension.

3) Can you play it on any other DVD devices?

Give me some more information and I'll walk you through a solution.

Vista probably isn't the problem.

1) What happens when you insert the disk in the DVD drive? (what errors do you get or does it just do nothing?)

2) Do you know how to locate the .vro file? If so, copy it to your desktop and rename it with a .mpg extension.

3) Can you play it on any other DVD devices?

Give me some more information and I'll walk you through a solution.

1 - Nothing ! Vista opens Windows media centre but the video don't start ! And there' not an error message ...

2 - Yes, I know where are those files but ... I am not able to rename them ! I can only change the name of the program for opening the files

3 - At the moment I haven't any other Dvd player: only the one of my PC ...

Have you tried to play other DVDs on your new system?

Did you finalize the DVD in your camera before trying to view it on your computer?

2 - Yes, I know where are those files but ... I am not able to rename them ! I can only change the name of the program for opening the files

Remove the DVD from your computer. Then, replace the DVD in your computer and close the drive. When the box appears (that gives you the choices of programs to open the files) close it. Then go to Start --> Computer --> and locate your DVD drive. Click on it and view the files on the DVD. Locate the file with the .vro extension. Right-click the file and then click Copy. Click on your desktop (anywhere that's blank) and right-click then click Paste. Right-click on the file you "Pasted" on your desktop and click Rename. Rename the file MyMovie.mpg and press Enter. Windows will warn you that changing the file name extension might cause the file to stop working properly. Click Yes to confirm the change.

If that doesn't work... try renaming the file MyMovie.mpeg (but that shouldn't matter).

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by Sharyn

Have you tried to play other DVDs on your new system?

Did you finalize the DVD in your camera before trying to view it on your computer?

Remove the DVD from your computer. Then, replace the DVD in your computer and close the drive. When the box appears (that gives you the choices of programs to open the files) close it. Then go to Start --> Computer --> and locate your DVD drive. Click on it and view the files on the DVD. Locate the file with the .vro extension. Right-click the file and then click Copy. Click on your desktop (anywhere that's blank) and right-click then click Paste. Right-click on the file you "Pasted" on your desktop and click Rename. Rename the file MyMovie.mpg and press Enter. Windows will warn you that changing the file name extension might cause the file to stop working properly. Click Yes to confirm the change.

If that doesn't work... try renaming the file MyMovie.mpeg (but that shouldn't matter).

Let me know how it goes.

Sharyn,

sorry for the delay ! I was out of home for work in the past days ....

This evening I'll have a little bit time to try your solution: I'll tell you something ASAP !

Thanks A LOT !!!

You're GREAT ! :cheers:

• 9 years later...
On 2008/1/13 at 6:18 AM, Sharyn said:

From the Canon site:

Excuse me sir, but it seems that you know much about DVD VRO problem. I have a question about my camcord video output format may i ask. I have a vro file that cannot be recognized by my VLC player, so I use this VRO converter (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/vro-converter.html) to convert the vro file to mp4. After that the VRO file can be played again, but I do not know why the output contains no audio output, no sound. Did you ever met a similar problem? VLC can play VOB very well because  I have checked. It should be similar to VOB,  but why VRO cannot be recognized by VLC, it doesn't make any sense. Is there any method to directly play VRO file on my PC without using any third-party video converter?