Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubrication Question

I am loading with a Dillon 550. The manual says to use regular motor oil to lubricate the press. I have tried this and don't like it because the oil attracts dirt, powder, etc. (And just in case you are wondering, I do regularly clean my press). I am wondering if anyone has figured out a better way to lubricate a Dillon press. Thanks.

I will second the vote for Slide Glide. I use it on my Dillon and it works really well. Since it stays put better than most other greases I find I don't have to reapply it very often. I use SG Lite since my press is in the unheated garage.

I hoped that this had to do with reloading. The title is decieving

Pat,

You should hang your head in shame!!!! :P:P:P You have disgraced your ancestors!! :rolleyes:;)

By the way, I wondered the VERY SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::P:D

Jeffro

I hoped that this had to do with reloading. The title is decieving

Pat,

You should hang your head in shame!!!! :P:P:P You have disgraced your ancestors!! :rolleyes:;)

By the way, I wondered the VERY SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::P:D

Jeffro

Oh ..my ancestors gave up on me long ago :)

Yes, it does work great on the Dillon, and it works especially well under the shell plate and in/on the ball and spring detent. I've never found any dirt or powder that may accumulate in it to be a problem; meaning, it doesn't cause anything to prematurely wear.

IMHO, I believe the "dirt/dust factor" that comes up in lubrication discussions is highly overrated. I've used the Glide on my pistols in a dusty desert environment for many years, and can say I've never seen any wear caused by dirt or powder residue in the grease. Sure, if you plan to throw your gun in an sand pile, I wouldn't lube it with grease. But for competition use, it's the shit.

Maybe the reason foreign material is harmless is because the grease works so well that it always keeps a layer of grease between the foreign material and any metal it may touch. Yea, I think that's it.

;)

Maybe the reason foreign material is harmless is because the grease works so well that it always keeps a layer of grease between the foreign material and any metal it may touch. Yea, I think that's it.

;)

Brian,

That sure didn't APPEAR to be a very scientific route to that conclusion :rolleyes::P:D:D:P

Best,

Jeffro

Okay, here goes. My open gun seems to like to be dirty. Any time I clean it, it chokes. If I just give it a little lube between matches and about half way through the match, it runs like a charm. If I "clean" it, I'm done. Even running a mag through it, doesn't ensure functionality. It seems to work better if it's filthy. The only downside to it really, at this point, seems to be the limitation it puts on my wardrobe when I shoot, no white shirts or light-colored pants. Is this hurting the gun?

I apologize for carrying this further off topic.

Liota

I've been told by Dillon that the only reason they recommend useing motor oil on thier press is to keep the shaft from rusting if you do not use it frequently and that if you do use it quite often then it doesn't need any lube at all. I have a 550 that I reload about 500 rnds. a week on and after I recieved this info about 2 years ago I stopped lubeing it all together and have had no problems since. ( I had a lot of primer feed problems before ). But I'm still pretty sure that Slide-Glide will do a good job at rust prevention ;)

• 5 weeks later...