Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Used Open Gun

oddjob

I'm looking at a used open SV gun. I can push down on the barrel hood and it moves down. The link can be moved up and down and side to side. What other little tricks/areas can I look at??? It shoots a two inch group at 20 yds. He's asking 2k for it w/o mags.

Have you looked at other Open guns for sale? Do you know it's shooting history (if it's local, ask other shooters-- is it known as a jam-o-matic, or does it always run?). Is the comp on straight? Is it eroded out? Full of lead? Hitting the slide? Slide-to-frame fit? Sights in good shape? Who built it? Being able to push the hood down with the slide held forwards doesn't sound good, but depends on how you test it.

Matt Burkett has a good section on buying a used gun in his manual. It might be on his site someplace.

2K w/o mags seems a bit on the high-side for an "ordinary" open gun (I don't have a handle on CA prices though), but could be a good deal if it's in good shape, reasonably accurate and runs. Does it shoot well for you?

Agreed, 2k is too much for a used "blaster only", unless it is something really, really special. I have seen complete rigs on sale at vendor tables at matches within the past year for $1500-1750 tops, lot's less in some cases if the gun was well used. These guns came with mags, holster, and pouches (I even saw a deal that threw in 2k cases, and 1k loaded ammo for the gun).

IMHO, Keep shopping, you can almost build new for that price.

Regards,

I'm looking at a used open SV gun. I can push down on the barrel hood and it moves down. The link can be moved up and down and side to side. What other little tricks/areas can I look at??? It shoots a two inch group at 20 yds. He's asking 2k for it w/o mags.

Without mags, $2000 sounds high to me. It sounds really high if it's only capable of two inch groups at 20 yards.

Like the others, I'd be interested to know how well it functions over a period of time.