Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keep it or sell it?

So I have a couple of guns that have been sitting in my safe for years! I was showing my crowded collection to a friend who is a firearms instructor for the Stockholm police department. He asked me when I had shot the guns last and it got me to thinking that I hadn't fired some of these guns in a long while.

One is a Glock 24 that took me to A class. I used it to take 2nd place at the Nationals in '97. It was also the gun Robin Taylor interviewed me about for the first edition of "The Glock in Competition." It's a reliable work horse that never malfed on me in competition. It's like an old friend.

The other is a Springfield P9 in .40 caliber. It has a beautiful jeweled hammer and barrel and was converted to single action. It's the first gun I ever won. Got it back in 94 at the Western States Championship. In the 13 years I've had it, I have maybe put 50 rounds through it. On the flight back from the match, someone offered me $800.00 for it but I just couldn't sell it. It is still neat to look at this gun since it's so pretty. But, the cool factor of it being a "won" gun has ebbed.

Should these guns go up for sale so someone else can enjoy them, use them like they should be used? Or should they occupy hallowed ground in the gun safe? Especially since the G24 is no longer in production and the gun has a little history... In car terms, should I be a waxer or a racer??

So what do you think?

I own several guns that I am fond of but wouldn't hold on to if they became redundant.

I would prefer to recycle them into guns that I would shoot.

The only "must keep" gun in my collection is a Series 80 Colt Stainless in 45 ACP.

It was left to me by my brother-in-law who died of lung disease two years ago.

I was with him when he bought it and we took it to the range to try it out.

He emptied a magazine at some bowling pins and after missing all of them, he said "I think the sights are off".

I said "Let me try", and cleaned them.

When I handed the gun back to him he grinned and said "I guess it's not the sights".

That was the only time and the last time it was ever fired.

I have very mixed emotions about the gun because I never fire it, but could never part with it.

It seems a shame to let it just sit there until it gets passed to another owner upon my own demise.

It's a bone stock gun and I'm seriously considering having it tricked out by a gunsmith and working it into a mission to win a single stack title.

I think that would be a fitting tribute to the man that left it to me.

Keep your guns Carina.

I've never felt bad about keeping a gun, but I've sure had a lot of regrets over the ones that got away.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Keep em' on hallowed ground.

Someone else who is purchasing a gun can get enjoyment from what they purchase whether or not they buy yours or someone else's. So I don't think your reasoning for selling it (so someone else can enjoy it) jives. Maybe that reason would jive if you were giving it away to someone who could not otherwise afford it.

I have sold guns and regretted it. It is not a good feeling. The fact that you are asking for opinions on the subject means that you are not sure. If you are not sure you will probably end up regretting it. The only guns I have sold that I have not regretted selling are guns that I had for a very short period of time i.e. bought it and didn't like it so sold it right away.

I once gave a shotgun away to a friend that could not afford it. I sometimes wish I still had the gun for sentimental reasons, but do not regret doing it because I know how much it means to him. It's kind of weird how personal/sentimental guns can be as opposed to other types of possessions.

I voted for keeping them. Keep them, pass them down to your kids or to a neice or nephew that you are trying to get into the sport! Share your memories of the guns with whomever you pass them down to. Start your own Family Heirloom (sp?)

I'm not the sentimental type. Really I'm not. But I have a couple guns that I will never part with.

One is a Galisi .25 pocket auto. It was part of my fathers collection and when he died it was taken by my mother for her self protection. When she died I came into possession of it. To me it's more than just a gun.

The other is my Ruger MKII. First gun I ever owned. First step toward the path of being a 'shooter'. It's morphed over the years but it's still a great gun to go out and just shoot with.

The rest of the guns in the safe are tools to get a particular job done but those two I look at differently. Keep the two you mentioned. Years from now when you show your grandchild or similiar relative maybe they will appreciate them as well as we hold sacred the guns our grandfathers carried in WWII.

I almost think you answered your own question. If you're wondering whether to keep them, then maybe the sentimental value is not as great as you think.

I know of what you speak though. I've got a late 60's vintage blued Colt Python in mint condition that I never shoot but would never consider getting rid of since it was the last gun my grandfather and I bought together before he passed away. I just pull it out of the safe from time to time and enjoy the memories.

I have made the mistake of selling some sentimental pieces. It sort of sucks. I had a smith 745 ipsc limited edition gun with the gold inlays etc. that I sold to pay for an open .45. I feel bad for not having that piece.

though some of the things I still have and won't part with:

The guns I first shot Perry with when I was 10 a walther .22, and a .45acp

the gun I first shot USPSA with a smith 4516 .45acp

I also have the Smith K22 my grandpa gave me that he used to shoot bullseye with.

None of those will ever leave my posession.

Everything else is pretty much free game.

I'd keep them.

I've often wished I hadn't gotten rid of guns I did. I sold for financial reasons almost exclusively.

I'm not really sentimental about them, but many of them I have for a reason. Had it built to do this. Was going hunting there. And I do have some where I "won this match with this gun" type stuff.

The other reality (for me) is that I am pessimistic about the average American's ability to procure guns in the future. Said differently, at some point I believe the guns I have will be the only guns I ever have. At some point (IMO) I believe getting a gun (legally) will be very difficult. So in that spirit, and because so many of them are so damn cool, I rarely sell.

And one last perspective. What's the old adage "better to have a gun and not need it then need a gun and not have it . . . "

Keep em'!

J

I'm 50/50 on this.

My current agreement with myself is that I'm not going to own something that I don't shoot or have plans to. I've decided that Limited and 3 gun are enough for USPSA games, so I sold my way out of two other divisions. That included parting ways with a 5" S&W 610. I was really proud to own one of those but because it became a safe queen, out it went.

Now, the other side of the coin are guns that were given to me. I have an 870 that I've had for nearly 20 years now (kee-ryest I'm getting old!) that my old man gave to me. I've shot a lot of pheasants, rabbits and even my first deer with that one. I've broken 1000's of clays at the 16 yard line with that one, too. I also have a Winchester 9422 given to me by the old man. I haven't shot that gun in probably 10 years, but it isn't going anywhere.

If I'm given a gun by a family member, it probably is staying with me. If I bought it, but am not using it - time to make room for something else.

Most of mine are just tools, so If I want a new tool I often sell the old to help... if I had the money not to worry about it I doubt I'd ever sell any of them.

That's kind of how I look at it... Maybe because I haven't found the one that makes the earth stop turning for me..maybe, because, well, they're just tools... the memories have been made already and I own them forever.