Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 610 For Bianchi Unlimited

BigDave

What about a 40 caliber revolver for Bianchi Unlimited Class?

The reason I ask is (1), I already have a 610. (2) In target archery, there are basically two schools of thought. The first is small (e.g. Easton A/C/C or A/C/E) arrows with very flat trajectory's, or large diameter arrows, also known as "Line Cutters". If you were to load a 40 with a, say, 135gr bullet at about 1000fps or a bit less, would the recoil vs a similar load in a 38 revolver be a competitive disadvantage?

Just thinking aloud...

Dave,

I have shot 10mm for many years and did shoot "Action Pistol" with the caliber many years ago. Using the light bullets in the 10mm can make it feel very good and the case capacity allows you to use almost any powder that you would like. The problem is that the balistic coefficient of the light bullets is terrible. They are like similar to the 155gr .45 caliber bullets. They can lose their stabilization on the longer shots and the groups tend to open up. Obliously, the jacketed bullets are better than the lead bullets but they suffer the same problem ... too much frontal area versus the length of the projectile.

Leo

Being one who knows little about ballistics, would what you say hold true (or did you find your statement to hold true from your own experience) with the lighter 10mm bullets at velocities near 1000 fps? Does stabilization deminish as velocity increases or decreases?

Dave,

One important factor would likely be the twist of the barrel. A fast twist barrel would allow a slower velocity with better stabilization. Mine was a Bar-Sto 1911 barrel. I may be wrong but I would expect the bullets to be less stable at slower velocities because of the slower twist RPM. I would give it a try anyway sine you don't have anything to lose. If the accuracy is good enough stick with it. If you need more accuracy go up to 180gr and see how that feels.

Leo

The hot set up for revolver is a 125 grain 38 going 1000fps. Power factor is 120 so that gives you a good cushion. Heavier bullets are gonna be going slower which means more mover lead. If you're really serious about going for the cup you have to have state of the art equipment which is an auto anyway. If you just want to have fun with it shoot what you have.

As long as you can get 4" accuracy at 50 yds for the Practical event, you'll do fine with the lighter bullets. At that velocity, most of the lead-factor for the mover will be ok. At 1,000 fps, it works out to a 9"lead at 25 yds, which is the leading edge of the target, with shorter leads being, respectively, 3.6, 5.4, and 7.2 at 10, 15, and 20 yds.

The accuracy is the most important, of course, and if you have that, the rest will work fine. Don't let them discourage you about a revolver though! The national record in Barricade (480-48X) was set with one, and has been tied a few times since with a "wheelgun"!

I think the last man to WIN the cup with a revolver was Brian Kilpatrick from Australia as far back as 1994???

Every one since has been an auto?

And nearly all the top dogs go into the mover 480-48x in the other three events.

SRT.

Are you going to make it to the cup? I should arrive in mid May and shoot the Indiana Champs / Reinholt Cup. There may be a bunch of POM's (Limeys) shooting the Indiana event that I want to bump into and swap lies with.

I am thinking hard about going. I won't have my NRA classification yet, but that really does not matter much to me. I just like the match and the challenge. The bonus is that it is so close.

BigDave,

You ought to!! The English shooters amaze my every time. They don't shoot for a year, show up at Winamac a couple of weeks prior to the Cup, practice, put up HUGE numbers and then go to the Cup. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong..besides the obvious. And they are nice guys, also.

GM Iprod is going to be at Winamac on the 18th.

Also, one of the local Class 3 guys usually brings out a toy or two. Then the fun begins.

Main reason I am going to Winamac is the class three stuff.

I own 3 MG's but it is illegal to get caught shooting them here. If you don't get caught they don't charge you. Weird. :o

Big Dave,

Don't worry about having your classification yet. Shoot the Cup and they will give you one for sure.

Win it and they will all know you. :rolleyes:

Hope to see you all there.