Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Nra Ap Tips

BigDave

I'm going to my first club level NRA AP match this saturday. Unfortunately, I'm going to be shooting my Major PF USPSA 40 loads, because I don't have the time to make 120 PF loads in time.

I've read the thread on the mover event, anyone else have any words of wisdom that will make my first experiece that more enjoyable?

Thanks in advance.

I have only shot a few of the local NRA matches. Here is what I see:

For the match...Don't rush.

Coming for USPSA, you will be compelled to shoot fast...likely too fast.

The plates are Virginia count. There is no 8-ring on plates. I would rather run out of time, than rush and miss.

Don't sweat the mover too much. Just follow thru.

I'm going to my first club level NRA AP match this saturday. Unfortunately, I'm going to be shooting my Major PF USPSA 40 loads, because I don't have the time to make 120 PF loads in time.

I've read the thread on the mover event, anyone else have any words of wisdom that will make my first experiece that more enjoyable?

Thanks in advance.

Where ya going, Dave? Wildcat Valley? Did you invite me to go with you? Hmm? :angry:

Don't sweat the mover too much. Just follow thru.

That's really good advice!

The mover isn't that tough if it's anything like the mini-version they used to shoot at GSSF matches. I've done it there and also in another match (at the NRA AP distance) at Wildcat years ago.

Just remember to keep moving with the target as you shoot. The tendency for most people (myself included) is to stop tracking as you break the shot. You want move with it as you watch your front sight, then follow through on both the trigger and front sight on each shot. ;)

I'm not sure what the distance is, so "lead" may play more of a factor than it did at the GSSF matches where the distance was less. If I had to guess, I would aim at half way between the leading edge of the 10 and the next ring out. Someone else who shoots AP please feel free to help here.

BigDave,

Wildcat is a nice club..see you there.

Mover leads..try edge of 10 ring @10, edge of 8 ring @15, and the edge of the target at 20 and 25. 6 shots per pass @10 and 15, 4 passes (3 shots ea) @ 20 and 25. Just try to track smoothly.

Stock shooters seem to have the most trouble with barricade and plates. Take Flex's advise!!!

Advice for that match - man, that's huge. First, just go and shoot it - you'll learn a ton your first time out. Eventually, if you want to do well, you'll need to set up the exact courses and practice them FOREVER.

You have to build a sense of the time limit in your head for each string at each distance, so you can shoot each string without rushing.

You also have to learn how to find and shoot the center of that target WITHOUT depending on seeing the rings. This will probably happen. (You won't be able to see the rings.)

And of course you must fully comprehend "calling."

;)

Practicing for that match is such great practice in general. Every IPSC shooter could benefit from it.

be

Listen to BE .. he know better than any of us!!!

Have fun and don't get discouraged your first time out. Don't forget to bring at least 192 rounds. I'd bring at least 400. You can probably shoot a second time for fun if you want.

Now, you'll be classified in Stock Action Pistol after your first match.

Used to be two.

Hey, SRT . . . will you be coming from Illinoise, or somewhere in Indiana? I'll probably see you there too. I'll be the one with no holes in the targets and all of the plates still standing. :rolleyes:

I know BigDave did the asking, but thanks to everyone who offered advice. I'm swipin' it for my own use!

You mean, Da Daley Dictatorship - formally known as the People's Republic of Blagovevich?

Yup, I may be a Hoosier soon though.

Good for you! Good guys who are shooters are always welcome here in America! B)

(your name isn't Stan, is it?)

Get the courses of fire down in your head as best you can. Lot of stuff to remember but if you now what's coming next you can concentrate more on your shooting. If you don't have the book I think it's on the NRA web site but hard to find.

Especialy on the plates don't rush, call a good center hit on each one. If you haven't practiced going prone don't do it at the match, wait until you've practiced. On the mover keep the gun moving and call your shots, much more important to have a good clean trigger break with the gun moving that to have the " perfect " lead.

Be " BE " a sponge, as the man says you'll learn so much. This is the only shooting that I know practicing the stages will make you a better shooter.

No, my name is not Stan. I know who you are referring to. Stan and Debbie usually shoot Wildcat matches. They are from Southern IL, I'm from North Central IL.

Okay! I won't harass you too much since I don't know you yet! :P

Stan & Debbie have been shooting with us at our USPSA matches lately too (after a long absence). It's fun to hear Stan complain about recoil and muzzle flip when he's shooting a Limited gun!

Well, its over, and all I can say is that it is just an awesome experience. Shot a 1509 in Stock Class with 59 x's. All with 170 PF ammo. Not a stellar score, but I'll take it for my first attempt at AP. Unfortunately for me, I dropped 6 shots due to (1) a mag dropping on the Barricade and a (2) a thumb slide stoppage on the practical. The Mover ended up being my best event with a 410 and 9 x's as I recall. The Plates didn't go as well as I had planned (380/480), but I called all of my misses (good thing). I knew that this was going to be a real test of trigger control and sight picture/focus, but I had no clue how big of a test it would be.

If you haven't tried AP I highly recommend it. Awesome game. And a special thanks to all who lent their advice, It was great.

PS - Met SRT Driver. Helluva guy, great shooter. I plan one day to get upset about shooting a 1870.

That is a very good stock class first match with no practice. 38 plates first time is a very respectable score for stock class.

You are lucky to be close to one of the very few ranges with NRA Action matches.

BigDave,

It was a pleasure meeting you and nice job for your first time out!!

We were talking about the first gen Holosight and Natchez Shooter Supply carries them. The rebuilt ones are $169 and the new ones are $199. I've got one of the rebuilt ones and it has worked well.

Martin Johnson's email is allgoodhits@yahoo.com. I think he is clearing out his stock and may make you a deal.

I've got the tombstone reticle and the Johnson reticle, if you want to try them out. The Johnson reticle is the one you looked at.

Mike was right..your scores should only go up from this point.

Thanks for the info. Remember not to sit your gun down on a piece of brass next time.

[drift] would the old Holosight or the newer (more compact) holosight be better? I saw another online retailer who has the newers with the Tombstone (which only would really beneficial with a mover mount, I'm thinking) for about $280.

We have a NRA Action Pistol match here in Ohio if you guys every want another place to play.

4th SATURDAY

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/pcsiipsc.htm

[toy notice]

One of our guys has a 625 PC with the screw on/off comp. It wears a newer model holosight. I'll bet he would sell it if someone was interested...he hasn't shoot it much. (5 inch) It also has those (very nice) Nil Grips.

In addition to the Wildcat Valley R&P Club near Brookston, they also shoot NRA Action Pistol at Winimac, IN and near Evansville, IN. There are probably some others as well.

BigDave,

Thanks. Next time, I'll pay attention. :wacko: I did my usual belly flop and landed somewhere other than where I wanted to be. It wasn't fun playing "chase the dot". Where it stops, no body knows...WHOO WHO!!!!! Things happen.

I was unaware that the new model Holosight can with anything but the standard reticle or the one minute dot. At least with the old model, you can try a reticle and change it if you don't like it. Otherwise, you are stuck with it.

Jarvis Custom makes barrel blanks in 10mm, if I recall. I'm sure the others do also.

• 2 months later...

Today I shot my first NRA Action Pistol match! :D

BigDave and twix tried to prevent me from going because they didn't want me tagging along. :P Even though they never liked me, I still had a lot of fun!

I scored 1216 which is far beyond my goal of 800.

Most of the time allotments are very generous . . . I need to learn to slow down and use the time allowed! On the last few strings on the practical I could have reloaded and shot it again in plenty of time.

The steel plates KILLED my score. :angry:

My scores were:

PRACTICAL: 284 (5X)

MOVER: 342 (5X)

BARRICADE: 330 (8X)

PLATES: 260

Aw, we're real glad too shoot with you Rhino, it just gets a little anoying with all your little Daisy Duke groupies hovering around.

Shooting this match twice now, and reading this thread, have pretty well convinced me that practicing and shooting the NRA Action Pistol will yield the biggest improvement for my shooting skills for time and expense expended. "C" IPSC shooter.

So why do I feel so frustrated after I shot two of the four stages really well?