Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Mags

I have three brand new STI 140mm, .40 mags. They are extremely diffucult to load after about 13 rounds and getting to 16 is almost impossible.

I am using STI followers, Wolf springs, and Dawson base pads. A friend brought his STI mags over, and they are the same way.

It is not a spring issue his springs have been clip.

What is the deal? Anybody else experience this issue with STI mags. I tried out some SV and there were no problems loading to 18 rounds. I am really new at the Limited game so this is really perplexing.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mine get kinda tuff around 16 too, but with a little thumb grease they fit 18-19, and my mag set up is just like yours, with the exception of mag tuning by the wonderfu folks at dawson precision B) . i love my mags :wub: it's too bad i had to have them modified for L-10. :(

Mistral404,

if you get the Gram's Engineeing basepad, spring and follower, you can get 20 rounds in your sti mag. no modificatons required. the 20th round is a little tough to get in, but not much.

i put the system on my open 170mm sti 38 super mag and i get 29 rounds. :D

good luck,

lynn jones

The STI mags are brand new.

The followers do not have the groove in them, they are rather smooth. [The mag that came with my short block kit has a groove in it]

The springs have been cut down to about two coils exposed with the base pads off. The Dawson base pads are 1 extra in black.

The SV mags I looked at do not have the same problem. So I thought it was an STI issue with being diffucult to load past 15 or so.

megaman: why do your mags have to be modified for L10? I thought you could just not load them to 11 rounds and be ok???

Mistral404,

he lives in hawaii, state law 10 rounds only.

one note about your magazines. if you polish the inside of each mag, then lube with some silicon spray this might help your thumb out. :o

lynn jones

Hi Mistral404.

The problem of low round count is common and is caused by the mag tube being incorrectly sized on the inside. The tube is too narrow and will not allow the rounds to stack properly, thus the hard loading and lower round count. 20 rounds is the common count these days, if the tube is reshaped and tuned for it. Some tubes will work right out of the box, but most won't. I can help you figure it out, just give me a call.

Beven,

Thanks for your input. Looking inside the tube, there is a definite inside curve to it.

As usual, you are most helpful.

I will send you my tubes & base pads and purchase your springs and followers, so the entire setup can be tunes properly.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to address my questions.

Lynn, Thanks for the info on HI. I love to windsurf on Maui but have never shot there. Last time I looked it did seem that their handgun laws were rather restrictive. I just did not realize how restrictive.

Thanks to all you offered their advice. It all was good info.

tks

paul

Another trick for STI mags is to hit them on your wallet, leg or a table fairly hard. Make sure you hit them on the basepad, and not to hit them too hard. Wht this works, I don't know, but it does, at least on alot of STI mags I've seen.

"i just did not know how restrictive." at least were not as restrictive as greece! <_< hey mistral, let me know if you get a little time between windsurfing for shooting, our club loves to welcome new suck.... i mean, shooters. :P

megaman,

truth be known, i was actually stationed on a greek/turkish island while in the navy. it was a real pain, no motorcycles and no shooting. i wanted to start skeet shooting because my dad took it up while i was away. no firearms for americans!! flat out. other than that it was pretty cherry duty, no uniforms, no base, attached to an embassy, greeks shooting at turks, turks shooting at greek, and all those UN Peacekeeping forces ducking their heads.

i purchased my first custom board from Windward Fiberglass, down the street from Windsurfing Hawaii and Naish's shop. A gunny little salom board. Only sail the main island once, and Maui five or six times.. Heck, I even took my wife there on our honeymoon so i could get a couple of days on a board.

i get to travel in my job, so i get to enjoy the hospitality of different clubs/states. who knows i may get to come to your corner of paradise. i am sure y'all would love me, i set the bar so low, that even first time shooters shoot faster with better accuracy. in fact if they do not let me shoot for free the first time, they refund my money out of pity. i will let you know if i come out your way again.